Eating transitions and feeding adjustments

Steve A

Chameleon Enthusiast
So about a month ago now, or so, Spikes wildly changed his eating habits. I've mentioned to some of you already that he's slowed down eating. He is 7, almost 8 months old now. He's totally fine and doing great. I've been adjusting how I feed him, based on what he's 'telling' me each day with his eating habits.

We went from 2 dozen crickets, a few silks, 12-15 BSFL, to a few crickets, 1-5 silks, 0 - a few BSFL (usually only eats these now when they get stuck on silks lol) at most. He will also eat actual hatched black soldier flys when they're in his enclosure.

So I am wondering, do I start only feeding him every other day now?

Or, do I continue to let him 'guide' me with his eating habits? Feeding him every day, but in these smaller amounts.

So about a month ago now, or so, Spikes wildly changed his eating habits. I've mentioned to some of you already that he's slowed down eating. He is 7, almost 8 months old now. He's totally fine and doing great. I've been adjusting how I feed him, based on what he's 'telling' me each day with his eating habits.

We went from 2 dozen crickets, a few silks, 12-15 BSFL, to a few crickets, 1-5 silks, 0 - a few BSFL (usually only eats these now when they get stuck on silks lol) at most. He will also eat actual hatched black soldier flys when they're in his enclosure.

So I am wondering, do I start only feeding him every other day now?

Or, do I continue to let him 'guide' me with his eating habits? Feeding him every day, but in these smaller amounts.
Personally I would keep feeding daily. Around 12 months old you'll start watching his body tone for signs of 'filling out' vs actually growing and thats when you'd start switching to feeding every other day. My juvenile is 9 months old as of the 16th and his eating habits have changed quite drastically as well, but he still eats enough every day that I believe that is what he still needs to continue to grow.

If someone with more experience says differently, obviously go with what they say, I've only had 2 juveniles at this point and I am by no means an expert.

Personally I would keep feeding daily. Around 12 months old you'll start watching his body tone for signs of 'filling out' vs actually growing and thats when you'd start switching to feeding every other day. My juvenile is 9 months old as of the 16th and his eating habits have changed quite drastically as well, but he still eats enough every day that I believe that is what he still needs to continue to grow.

If someone with more experience says differently, obviously go with what they say, I've only had 2 juveniles at this point and I am by no means an expert.
That's what I'm thinking. We'll see what others say. But I feel like at least, the right thing to do is to let him tell me what he wants and right now it seems like he likes to eat a little each day.

Although today he ate all 5 medium silks in 1 shot as soon as he got up lol

That's what I'm thinking. We'll see what others say. But I feel like at least, the right thing to do is to let him tell me what he wants and right now it seems like he likes to eat a little each day.

Although today he ate all 5 medium silks in 1 shot as soon as he got up lol
Atta boy! I love watching them eat its so amazing.

Atta boy! I love watching them eat its so amazing.
Me too I watch just about every move he makes while im working lol It's so nice to be able to do this. Really helps me actually monitor what he's truly eating and what not too. the crickets escape the window feeder regularly, so it's not always easy to keep track of those. I've stopped truly counting with exception to the silks. The silks hes back to eating regularly more than anything else so those are my 'basis' for what I know he's eating.

Me too I watch just about every move he makes while im working lol It's so nice to be able to do this. Really helps me actually monitor what he's truly eating and what not too. the crickets escape the window feeder regularly, so it's not always easy to keep track of those. I've stopped truly counting with exception to the silks. The silks hes back to eating regularly more than anything else so those are my 'basis' for what I know he's eating.
Those stinking crickets. I notice that mine escape less if I put a little sweet potato in my lunch log. That might help you?

Those stinking crickets. I notice that mine escape less if I put a little sweet potato in my lunch log. That might help you?
That's not a bad idea. But they mostly seem to get out the sides because my darn screen there is kinda warped lol. And the feeder is magnetic. So each morning I gotta try to put it in just the right spot. Some days I'm better at it than others 🫠

Some do climb the front part but usually they just slip through the darn sides. I could put a little carrot or something in there and maybe that'll help them stay. I'll try that

Back
Top Bottom