can aquarium lights be used with chameleons?

geckitojr

So i went to petco to buy a new uvb bulb for my panther and i saw some florecent aquarium lights for only four bucks.the exact model was the ocean sun 10000 k and ultra sun both by zoo med. So does any1 know if they can be used for reptiles

I don't think there are uvb bulbs for fish tanks. The 10,000k is not refering to the uv radiation, its kelvin. I have a 40g reef.

10000 K bulb shines with blue or maybe purple color, cant remember. It would flush out the colors of plants in your terarium. I suggest using 5000-6500K range bulbs for best effec. It might also be bad for chameleon, but I am not sure about that.

So i went to petco to buy a new uvb bulb for my panther and i saw some florecent aquarium lights for only four bucks.the exact model was the ocean sun 10000 k and ultra sun both by zoo med. So does any1 know if they can be used for reptiles

You want a 6.5K bulb.
That 10K would be incorrect to use on a terrestrial animal.
But you would also need to provide a UVB bulb too...since a 6.5k aquarium bulb is not designed to give off the much needed UV.
It would be good to add in a dual bulb linear fixture though if you are doing live plants.
One 6.5K daylight and one UVB bulb.
:D

Last edited:

That is too strong but you do need uvb lighting and a basking lamp. Anything else would just be for plants and extra lighting for the enclosure. It would serve no purpose to the chameleon

That is too strong but you do need uvb lighting and a basking lamp. Anything else would just be for plants and extra lighting for the enclosure. It would serve no purpose to the chameleon

Second that. If the enclosure is a big boy enclosure than those lights could work and would only serve to help the real plants photosynthesize and grow better. However they give off no UVB and little heat.

as far as the color of the light the higher kelvin you go the more blue the light gets 6500k would be white and 20000k would be very blue looking and you can use aquarium lights for your plants . The way the lights work in fish tanks is the lower the k more growth higher the k more colors in coral

I don't mean to jump in on the OP's thread, but can we use any T5 fixture and replace the bulb with a 6.5k daylight and Arcadia D3 6% bulb? Someone is selling a dual T5 HO aquarium fixture for cheap on craigslist, so I wanted to know if I'll run into any compatibility issues. Thanks :)

I don't mean to jump in on the OP's thread, but can we use any T5 fixture and replace the bulb with a 6.5k daylight and Arcadia D3 6% bulb? Someone is selling a dual T5 HO aquarium fixture for cheap on craigslist, so I wanted to know if I'll run into any compatibility issues. Thanks :)

If it is a HO t5 fixture and in good shape-- GET IT

yep ... it will take an Arcadia bulb.

But it must be an HO = High Output T5 Fixture

BEWARE-
there are NO (nomial out-put) t5 fixtures (like Zillas and some other aquarium fixtures) that are NOT HO. They use half the wattage and can not run HO bulbs.

Hope this helps.
Thanks!
Todd

Back
Top Bottom