Baby food gutload?

Hugh Wahl

Was wondering what you guys thought on it. I just got some carrots and mixed fruit.I don't see why I wouldn't but I wanted to see what you guys thought good and bad. :) thanks for look

I wouldn't, I know at lest the fruit baby food is petty lacking nutritionally (why I don't feed it to my crested gecko), most processed food is less nutritional than fresh and may also have additives and preservatives, so the fresher the better (for yourself and animals)

Just my 2 cents

I wouldn't, I know at lest the fruit baby food is petty lacking nutritionally (why I don't feed it to my crested gecko), most processed food is less nutritional than fresh and may also have additives and preservatives, so the fresher the better (for yourself and animals)

Just my 2 cents

The gerber stuff I got says no preservatives. The ingredients say it's only carrots and water. But the fruit one does have citric acid and ascorbic acid, I'm not going to use th e fruit just the carrots. Thanks for your post :)

The gerber stuff I got says no preservatives. The ingredients say it's only carrots and water. But the fruit one does have citric acid and ascorbic acid, I'm not going to use th e fruit just the carrots. Thanks for your post :)

cheaper and more nutritious to just buy a fresh carrot.

Most baby food is cooked, destroying some nutrients, and likely has sugars or salts added, if nothing else.

Ascorbic acid is just vitamin C (C6H8O6)
Citric acid can occur naturally in produce, but its usually added to make things "tangy" tasing (C6H8O7)
Both of these are also frequently used as preservatives, regardless of what the label may say

I think if baby food is in your home naturally (meaning: you have a baby that eats it) then tossing left over baby food into the wet gutload shortly before feeding the crickets off is fine. It probably shouldn't be the only thing you use for gutload though.

I'll compare it to our guinea pigs. There are things we buy just to feed them, but when we're fixing dinner, if we have extras of stuff they'll eat (green beans, red bell peppers {we buy green for them} cilantro, broccoli, stuff like that), we toss it in for them. I'm all over using the leftover human food for the critters when appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom