Dubia and other feeders diet

Mitcchar

Established Member
Ok so I know about all the gutloading stuff with insects about how you need to feed them nutritious food 24-48 hours before you feed the bugs to your chameleon so that your chameleon can get the proper nutrition it needs. My question is about what to feed my bugs when I’m not feeding them off the next day. Should I still be gutloading them anyway, or are there better foods that can help hold the bugs over until they get the gutload and are fed off? Currently I’ve just been using carrots as a food that is always available for the bugs to eat. For a gutload I would use a combination of carrots and collard greens. I hope this isn’t too confusing!

Ok so I know about all the gutloading stuff with insects about how you need to feed them nutritious food 24-48 hours before you feed the bugs to your chameleon so that your chameleon can get the proper nutrition it needs. My question is about what to feed my bugs when I’m not feeding them off the next day. Should I still be gutloading them anyway, or are there better foods that can help hold the bugs over until they get the gutload and are fed off? Currently I’ve just been using carrots as a food that is always available for the bugs to eat. For a gutload I would use a combination of carrots and collard greens. I hope this isn’t too confusing!
I gut load all my bugs all the time. For me and my morning routines it’s just easier for me. I feed my bugs the same days I feed my chameleons:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday.

This chart will show you what to gutload. You should put new gutload every day. Happy new year!🎊

Attachments

• 373E3035-608D-4805-BC17-976F2C2870DE.jpeg
    373E3035-608D-4805-BC17-976F2C2870DE.jpeg
    772.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 47B976A3-8A0B-4E80-8B00-37E46E9BC5C6.jpeg
    47B976A3-8A0B-4E80-8B00-37E46E9BC5C6.jpeg
    372.1 KB · Views: 35
And for the gutload do you use the recipe in the graphic above
Yes, I make a huge batch of it and freeze it into ice cube trays, then store them in gallon zip lock bags in my freezer. I feed the frozen gut load on top of fresh fruits and veggies. I maybe make it every 3-4 months.

If you do the frozen cubes make sure to put it on some kind of lid or container so that when it thaws it doesn't get liquid nasty all over your bug bin.

Yes, I make a huge batch of it and freeze it into ice cube trays, then store them in gallon zip lock bags in my freezer. I feed the frozen gut load on top of fresh fruits and veggies. I maybe make it every 3-4 months.

If you do the frozen cubes make sure to put it on some kind of lid or container so that when it thaws it doesn't get liquid nasty all over your bug bin.
Ooo I need to try this

And one more random question, I know that chameleons aren’t really able to tell if they are too hot under a heat bulb which leads to thermal burns. Although they can’t regulate their heat well, are they able to regulate the UVB that they get, and therefore go lower into the cage under plants? Or should I be more cautious about too much UVB?

And one more random question, I know that chameleons aren’t really able to tell if they are too hot under a heat bulb which leads to thermal burns. Although they can’t regulate their heat well, are they able to regulate the UVB that they get, and therefore go lower into the cage under plants? Or should I be more cautious about too much UVB?
They can tell when they have enough UVB AND you need to be cautious with how much your chameleon gets. For example an Arcadia 12% UVB 5 inches away from the top branches of the enclosure will expose the chameleon to higher levels than recommended and that can cause health problems as well.

We offer a dry mix that helps keep your bugs gut loaded. We feed fresh vegetables and fruits but we also keep a full bowl of feeder fuel so they are constantly eating something healthy. We have 1 pound packs that last you a good while because it’s nutrient dense. we add a lot of bee pollen and flowers. More of a day time feed for a nocturnal feeder all ground together. If you are looking for larger amounts we offer 5 pound bags but you will need to email us. https://readysrainforest.com/products/feeder-fuel-1-pound-bag

Attachments

• IMG_3542.jpeg
    IMG_3542.jpeg
    346.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3544.jpeg
    IMG_3544.jpeg
    441.5 KB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom