What to look for when buying a juvenile veiled?

Mad Dog Murphy

Established Member
Hi all, been a while since I’ve asked any questions but keeping up to date with other posts.

so here we go, the time is fast approaching to getting my first little fella, the terrarium is up and dry running.

6% T5 situated 8” above nearest branch, running along side a jungle dawn, 12hrs on 12 off, basking spot digitally measured at 26c/79f, 1” above branch, dripper all day, 3 short mistings soon after lights off, humidity around 87-90% when I go to bed usually 23.30pm, morning around 70% then sits around 60 in the day, digital probe measuring Center middle, a little high I know, so today going to run a dehumidifier alongside see if I can bring it down! Isopods and springtails in, all planted up although still looks bare at present, maxed out with branches running top to bottom to utilise ever bit of space.

So I’ve been visiting reptile shops past couple weeks and when I do find chameleons the husbandry is pretty awful, all the wrong lighting and environment, I’m not expert but I can spot dehydration and off colour fecal, I saw one and I really felt sorry for him and thought long and hard about bringing him home there and then, but luckily sensible me prevailed, doesn’t happen often, no doubt I would inherit something already with issues and then if it became unwell I’d be blaming my own husbandry when in fact I inherited the problem.

Anyway I stumbled across a place yesterday and was impressed, all the enclosures where fit for purpose and clean with the suitable lighting, spotted a little veiled and fell in love, I’d say the length and width of my index finger around 4” (not including tail) so was thinking about 12 weeks old maybe?, looked alert and active with eyes nicely coned, trouble is I’m away monday for a week , so my plan was always to buy after that, hopefully he’ll still be there, so finally my question is, things to look out for when buying a juvenile? also what to do when you bring them home initially? how and where to introduce them into new home?

Pop them in at the bottom or straight onto basking branch?

How to handle them from box to terrarium? Feed them straight away or leave them alone that day?

My worry is he was so small maybe he won’t be able to access all area of the enclosure and may struggle to get to the basking spot, not sure how agile these little fellas are, do they every fall off things? As basking branch to floor is an easy 4ft.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice getting to this point, much appreciated.

I’m the one that chooses the sickest looking in the pet store to give it a chance, so I may not be the right one to answer this. However, you should know by now what a healthy chameleon looks like - eyes open and alert, all limbs straight and moving, scales clear and clean, tail curls well. Sunken in eyes, closed eyes, abnormal lumps/bumps anywhere, black spots of bruising, any deformity of limbs or tail, very visible spine, broken nails, lethargy, star gazing, noises while breathing, layers of stuck shed, scars, wounds or burns, etc are all things to watch out for. Questions to ask and hopefully the store will have the answers - hatch date, how has it been eating/drinking, what have they been feeding and what supplements used, how long have they had the particular animal, where do they source their chameleons.
You may want to put your new chameleon in a plain enclosure for a quarantine period or until you can get a fecal check for parasites done. I have an old chameleon kit enclosure that I put my new chams in until I know they’re healthy and big enough for their big bioactive enclosure. While I have and see no problem with putting a 4 month old sized chameleon in an adult sized enclosure, I do want to be able to better see and monitor them and get a clean bill of health. I just put them right in and then after satisfying my need to ogle for a few minutes, let them be to explore their new home. Usually as soon as they get close to a branch, they climb off my hand and go. Giving the enclosure a good misting so everything is dripping right before putting cham in is a good idea. I offer feeders the next morning - put them in the feeding station and then I leave the room so they can feel safer. I check back in an hour or two.
A healthy baby shouldn’t be falling. When I’m setting up my branches, I do make sure that there is an easy transition from one to the next. Usually I try to use a bendy vine to act like a spiral staircase too. The smaller the chameleon, the more branches & the closer to each other I put them. I also include branches that have tiny diameters for tiny little feet (can remove as cham grows). The biggest concern with little ones in a big enclosure is that they won’t be able to find their food. I’m not sure how true that is, but just in case, set up a permanent feeding spot/station that is easily visible from basking area and is easily accessible with a close branch. Those little googly eyes rarely miss a thing and they’ll find their food.

my question is, things to look out for when buying a juvenile? also what to do when you bring them home initially? how and where to introduce them into new home?
When buying a juvenile veiled chameleon, there are several things you should look out for to ensure you're getting a healthy and well-cared-for reptile:

1. Overall Health
2. Body Condition
3. Shedding
4. Feeding Behavior
5. Parasites

Once you bring your new veiled chameleon home, it's crucial to provide a smooth transition to reduce stress:

1. Quarantine
2. Enclosure Setup
3. Acclimatization
4. Temperature and Lighting
5. Feeding and Hydration

Remember, veiled chameleons can be sensitive creatures, so providing a stress-free environment, proper husbandry, and regular veterinary check-ups is essential to maintaining their well-being.

Hi all, been a while since I’ve asked any questions but keeping up to date with other posts.

so here we go, the time is fast approaching to getting my first little fella, the terrarium is up and dry running.

6% T5 situated 8” above nearest branch, running along side a jungle dawn, 12hrs on 12 off, basking spot digitally measured at 26c/79f, 1” above branch, dripper all day, 3 short mistings soon after lights off, humidity around 87-90% when I go to bed usually 23.30pm, morning around 70% then sits around 60 in the day, digital probe measuring Center middle, a little high I know, so today going to run a dehumidifier alongside see if I can bring it down! Isopods and springtails in, all planted up although still looks bare at present, maxed out with branches running top to bottom to utilise ever bit of space.

So I’ve been visiting reptile shops past couple weeks and when I do find chameleons the husbandry is pretty awful, all the wrong lighting and environment, I’m not expert but I can spot dehydration and off colour fecal, I saw one and I really felt sorry for him and thought long and hard about bringing him home there and then, but luckily sensible me prevailed, doesn’t happen often, no doubt I would inherit something already with issues and then if it became unwell I’d be blaming my own husbandry when in fact I inherited the problem.

Anyway I stumbled across a place yesterday and was impressed, all the enclosures where fit for purpose and clean with the suitable lighting, spotted a little veiled and fell in love, I’d say the length and width of my index finger around 4” (not including tail) so was thinking about 12 weeks old maybe?, looked alert and active with eyes nicely coned, trouble is I’m away monday for a week , so my plan was always to buy after that, hopefully he’ll still be there, so finally my question is, things to look out for when buying a juvenile? also what to do when you bring them home initially? how and where to introduce them into new home?

Pop them in at the bottom or straight onto basking branch?

How to handle them from box to terrarium? Feed them straight away or leave them alone that day?

My worry is he was so small maybe he won’t be able to access all area of the enclosure and may struggle to get to the basking spot, not sure how agile these little fellas are, do they every fall off things? As basking branch to floor is an easy 4ft.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice getting to this point, much appreciated.
Can I see a picture of the enclosure? 60% humidity daytime is running high for a veiled. really want it more towards 40-50% daytime.

Can I see a picture of the enclosure? 60% humidity daytime is running high for a veiled. really want it more towards 40-50% daytime.
Will do,,currently on holiday so will take one when I’m home, managed to get it to 50% if running dehumidifier alongside

Sorry for the delay, Wi-Fi currently out and no network at the house, here are some pictures 21AEF951-A483-4478-9FCA-DAF7481867A1.jpeg DF33E0E0-F656-4606-A666-379A355E6DAD.jpeg 8CEC12DE-1D7A-43BC-8F1B-AF59B4F039ED.jpeg 1CE93525-88E0-47FA-B742-52D1A2C43035.jpeg 26324AB0-872D-4810-9FEA-A309F9170713.jpeg F53017EE-E68F-426B-AC05-AAEBBF5A582B.jpeg F1BD3DD4-5DDB-477E-A686-4EFAF8ADB143.jpeg 6BB71299-180A-425B-A9D1-447F8C3E188D.jpeg 593B1D63-5BBF-4CFC-9E55-C7E136D1B320.jpeg D46B1F74-5B3E-4A80-A997-EC979CC0F936.jpeg

Looks good. You will need more plant cover though. There really is no place for it to hide.

Yea I was hoping everything would bush out more than it has under the jungle dawn light, but I suppose it takes time, I love plants and am more than happy to buy more 😁
Make sure your plants that sit higher tolerate high light. I have two draceana that are doing really well under the jungle dawn. But I have found that my pothos does not like to be closer than 12 inches from it. Hibiscus thrive with high light. I have two in my enclosure.

Make sure your plants that sit higher tolerate high light. I have two draceana that are doing really well under the jungle dawn. But I have found that my pothos does not like to be closer than 12 inches from it. Hibiscus thrive with high light. I have two in my enclosure.
great minds think alike, was just thinking hibiscus, I have a large one in the garden which I plan to dig up and move into his external summer vacation spot, next years project, this one has occupied enough of my time and I still have the house to finish 😆

Looking good 👍, just a thought do you have a lid for your reservoir to stop any nonsense getting in and tainting the water

The one I’d seen prior to holiday was sold in my absence, shame was nice and healthy looking and husbandry in store was good, so I wait on them , the other option is via post from a breeder in Lyon, I’m in no rush, just in the process of breeding some crickets etc, so hopefully I’ll be onto his food requirements

The one I’d seen prior to holiday was sold in my absence, shame was nice and healthy looking and husbandry in store was good, so I wait on them , the other option is via post from a breeder in Lyon, I’m in no rush, just in the process of breeding some crickets etc, so hopefully I’ll be onto his food requirements
Take your time. This isn’t a pet you want to rush into getting. It’s better to go slow and be prepared

Aww that's a shame , I'm sure you'll get sorted be worth the wait 👌

Back
Top Bottom