New Jackson chameleon died looking for advice.

All right guys thank you for your help @elizaann2 I appreciate all the information you supplied and look forward to more advice. I'm going to try to stick with this enclosure. I contacted the company that manufactures it on their website they mentioned custom jobs I'm asking them if perhaps they can do a ventilated door for me or something similar that I can just replace the door with. If I can't figure that out I might just hire someone who drills glass and see how that goes. You are very welcome! I am happy to offer support any time you need it :). I totally get it with the enclosure, they are quite expensive and if you can make adjustments like you mentioned to make your current enclosure work then that is great. I especially love the idea that @Sonny13 had with replacing a door with a screen door. Brilliant.

As far as the company that I got the chameleon from they were no help at all I asked them all the right questions and about my enclosure and they said everything was perfect and I also asked him the age and all they could say is no older than 6 months. Ugh I am so sorry to hear this. If he was no more than 6 months then he should be eating about what my boy is eating or even a little more than that to be honest.

And I did most of my research via websites and online Googling about Heating and everything else before I purchased. Several of the ones that I read said to keep the Basking lamp on all day with the normal light and turn off at night and that's what I was doing, so a big difference from 45 minutes in the morning like you suggested and then off the rest of the day. There is a LOT of incorrect husbandry information out there. I would suggest finding a mentor that you trust to teach husbandry and sticking with them. A lot of websites will copy and paste information and not all of it is accurate or up to date. Neptune the Chameleon and the Chameleon Academy are great resources that I have personally used myself.

I will definitely try to find where I can order different insects all I have are gut loaded crickets and superworms. You've got a good start for bugs. I get my BSFL, supers, wax worms and dubia from Dubia.com. I get my silk worms from Costal Silks and FramsChams. I've also heard great things about Rainbow Mealworms so they might also be someone to check out. @SauceGandhi sells grasshoppers, which are an excellent staple as we find that a good chunk of chameleon diets in the wild consist of grasshoppers. I haven't tried these yet but the next time I order bugs I'm getting some :)

I did remove everything from the tank and set up a drainage and layered it with lava rocks like suggested from the post and then a cover that allows water through and then I layered the soil as well. Added Galapagos green moss on top of the soil, put new branches in there as well and a large Ficus in the center like someone else suggested. I now have a lighter side and dark side of the tank for a cooling area. Right now all I have is one pathos and the ficus I plan on putting one or two more Pathos in there. I ordered some new isopods and springtails. I'll attach a picture of what's going on so for. It's about 3:00 p.m. here today and as of this writing the temperature is 76° with 50 humidity in the setup. Beautiful! This looks much better! I love the ficus, keep adding plants! Remember that empty space in an enclosure is wasted space :). Temp and humidity is great! As you continue to prep your enclosure keep an eye on the temps and humidity. If you are struggling with anything let us know and we can help you problem solve.
I will definitely put more plants in there I'm going to put at least two more pathos, unless you recommend something else. I just don't want to overcrowd and cause any issues with the other plants in there.

And yeah there's just a lot of mixed information out there about everything including plants and Heating. I tried to read up on the more recent stuff than things from 10 years ago but I'm still seeing a lot of mixed advice on things. That is the main reason I wanted to join one of these groups and it seems to be going well so far! Thank you guys!

You did mention a fogger, right now I just have the automatic misting system, which I now put at two times a day for 2 minutes like you stated. In the morning and then when the lights go out.Would the the fogger be better to get the humidity up to 100% at night?

I will definitely check out those places for the feeders. I would have thought grasshoppers might have been a little too large for a Jackson chameleon, I will definitely check them out.

In that room I do have a radiator that kicks on automatically for the cold days and then I do have an AC unit installed in there as well. This is on the second floor so there's more heat naturally than the bottom, I also have a large strong ceiling fan that's not directly above the terrarium but pretty close where it's definitely circulating air that way as well and I just leave that on all the time.

I also was reading several people talking about taking their chameleons outside, it's obviously getting into the lower temperatures here, been in the fifties will drop into the 40s and 30s soon. I do have three large windows in the room, I also have a large banana tree plant that I bring in the house for the fall and winter so I usually open the curtains for the sunlight for it, and that will expose not direct sunlight to the chameleon but it will definitely get the light from the sun that way. Is that a beneficial thing to take them outside and should you only do that in the summer and spring, is that a necessity? I definitely wouldn't want to stress or spook the chameleon, and if should take them outside how does that process work.

I know they are solitary animals and don't really care for others, but do you recommend any type of human to chameleon socializing, should I try to hold them for any amount of time every once in awhile or strictly to view in the terrarium?

I will definitely put more plants in there I'm going to put at least two more pathos, unless you recommend something else. I just don't want to overcrowd and cause any issues with the other plants in there. I guess it depends, where are you putting the pothos? I would for sure get more foliage near the middle/top of the enclosure, that is where your chameleon will spend most of his time.

And yeah there's just a lot of mixed information out there about everything including plants and Heating. I tried to read up on the more recent stuff than things from 10 years ago but I'm still seeing a lot of mixed advice on things. That is the main reason I wanted to join one of these groups and it seems to be going well so far! Thank you guys! I'm glad to hear you are having a great experience on here so far. I hope you stick around!

You did mention a fogger, right now I just have the automatic misting system, which I now put at two times a day for 2 minutes like you stated. In the morning and then when the lights go out.Would the the fogger be better to get the humidity up to 100% at night? I would actually be curious to see how high your humidity gets without the fog machine first and particularly pay attention to it after you adjust it to be more of a 'hybrid' enclosure. If you are able to get your humidity anywhere between 70-100% with just your misting system you will not need a fog machine. Just keep us updated on what your numbers look like as you continue to make adjustments :)

I will definitely check out those places for the feeders. I would have thought grasshoppers might have been a little too large for a Jackson chameleon, I will definitely check them out. Most of us do not feed feeders that are bigger than the space between our chameleon's eyes, so you would want to get smaller grasshoppers. The person I tagged who sells them will be able to assist you with that more, when you get your next baby and know his age.

In that room I do have a radiator that kicks on automatically for the cold days and then I do have an AC unit installed in there as well. This is on the second floor so there's more heat naturally than the bottom, I also have a large strong ceiling fan that's not directly above the terrarium but pretty close where it's definitely circulating air that way as well and I just leave that on all the time. Perfect! I would be careful with the ceiling fan, I believe our chameleons do not understand that they are really just fans and not giant birds out to get them, it may cause unnecessary stress to your baby so just be careful with that.

I also was reading several people talking about taking their chameleons outside, it's obviously getting into the lower temperatures here, been in the fifties will drop into the 40s and 30s soon. I do have three large windows in the room, I also have a large banana tree plant that I bring in the house for the fall and winter so I usually open the curtains for the sunlight for it, and that will expose not direct sunlight to the chameleon but it will definitely get the light from the sun that way. Is that a beneficial thing to take them outside and should you only do that in the summer and spring, is that a necessity? I definitely wouldn't want to stress or spook the chameleon, and if should take them outside how does that process work. So long as you have the correct linear UVB you do not need to take your cham outside. I know some keepers do take their chams outside or keep them outside but then you are also dealing with predators such as hawks, raccoons, and other animals that could get your baby. I don't personally take mine outside for those reasons, if I had some good outdoor enclosures I would totally do it because I do believe they would benefit from being out in nature but just be aware there are safety risks. I imagine other keepers have built a relationship with the cham to be able to handle them long enough to transport them to their outside enclosures, this is what I would do and then I'd just bring them in near the end of the day. That cold of temps I would for sure not take the cham outside. If you do, make sure the temps are safe for your chameleon and similar to their husbandry needs and I would suggest having an outdoor enclosure for him as well. Direct or close to indirect sunlight could warm up your enclosure too (including your current enclosure) so just keep an eye on that to make sure open windows aren't heating that up too much.

I know they are solitary animals and don't really care for others, but do you recommend any type of human to chameleon socializing, should I try to hold them for any amount of time every once in awhile or strictly to view in the terrarium? Really I think it depends on your chameleon's personality. Jackson's chameleons are very passive chams and do not show signs of stress like the other chameleons do such as gaping, puffing out their gular, etc. I have and still am building trust with my chameleons. The first few months they are settling in their new home I do not make direct eye contact, I don't touch them and my presence is really only there to give them food and water and check their enclosure. I spend time in the room my chameleon is in doing something calm and quiet so my chameleon can observe me and hopefully realize that I am not a threat to them. Be cautious in your movements, a predator will move quickly. Move slowly and calmly. After doing that for several weeks offer some treat bugs by a cup you offer them, do that for a while, then see how they do by hand feeding. After they are comfortable with that start to move the feeder from your hand further and further away so they eventually have to use your hand to reach the bug and eventually climb onto your hand to reach the bug.
And again...personality is everything, I've got a panther boy that a soon as he sees my hands for any reason he will puff up and show me he is big and scary...even when I have bugs in my hands. However, if he decides he wants out, if I hold a stick out for him to climb on he does just fine, he can climb on me and explore that way but I cannot use my hands and I cannot touch him. My veiled girl is super friendly, she will literally let me hold her and then will eat bugs out of my other hand. My Jacksons is currently occasionally willing to eat bugs from cup I offer and if I'm very lucky he will eat them from my hands, he wont touch me or let me touch him.
Signs I notice when my Jackson's is stressed: color changes, backing up to get away from me (he has never gaped at me or puffed out his gular), adjusting his body so that a branch is between him and myself. If I am trying to feed him a bug and I notice any of these things I back right away.
All that being said, I do not handle my chameleons unless they choose it themselves, I have to do a physical check on them to make sure there are no health concerns, I am deep cleaning their enclosure or I am taking them to the vet. 95% of the time my chams are 'view only' pets, and thats including my super friendly chameleon. They do stress with handling so I just avoid it personally.
This video could give you some helpful tips on handling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnUgZA12fig&t=19s

There is also an excellent blog on here that @Beman made on building trust with your cham, I don't know how to find it though....Beman can you help?

I know they are solitary animals and don't really care for others, but do you recommend any type of human to chameleon socializing, should I try to hold them for any amount of time every once in awhile or strictly to view in the terrarium?
They can "socialize" but that needs go on their own, not you holding them or taking them out the enclosure. These is achievable by giving freedom and options to choose on their own. Them they can reach out to you, but more out of curiosity then affection.

Here is my 2 cents it may echo what you've been told so far. Buy captive bred that are individually raised not group raised in cages together. These come with 1-3 feet in the grave as you have experienced. Don't buy from chain pet stores as the stress of poor husbandry and being on exhibit will shorten their lives as well. Their is a face book group of dedicated owners and breeders where you can meet people who may have some for sale. Sadly you have to private message anyone because you are not allowed to sell animals on fb. Don't even mention the words sell or buy in any public posts. facebook.com/groups/jacksonschameleon, facebook.com/groups/1145409812204340 I occasionally breed this species but won't even be trying for several months.

The cage you have is going to be a problem due to poor ventilation. There are ways to save it but it might be easier to get something that has ventilation. As it is with you not knowing what he died of I would tear it down, clean it out and start over. That cage is more suited to other species.

I use 40 -60 watt bulbs (not LED) on my Jackson's enclosures. I have them sitting angled on top of the cage so they make an ellipse of heat rather than a hot spot. I don't have them on all day but rather a couple hours in the morning and then on and off in 30 -60 minute increments for the afternoon. A thermostat can serve the same function but is pricier $$ than my analog timer. Jackson's seem to like more basking heat than is good for them.

I'm sorry for your horrible experience but hope you know it wasn't likely anything you did.

Here is my 2 cents it may echo what you've been told so far. Buy captive bred that are individually raised not group raised in cages together. These come with 1-3 feet in the grave as you have experienced. Don't buy from chain pet stores as the stress of poor husbandry and being on exhibit will shorten their lives as well. Their is a face book group of dedicated owners and breeders where you can meet people who may have some for sale. Sadly you have to private message anyone because you are not allowed to sell animals on fb. Don't even mention the words sell or buy in any public posts. facebook.com/groups/jacksonschameleon, facebook.com/groups/1145409812204340 I occasionally breed this species but won't even be trying for several months.

The cage you have is going to be a problem due to poor ventilation. There are ways to save it but it might be easier to get something that has ventilation. As it is with you not knowing what he died of I would tear it down, clean it out and start over. That cage is more suited to other species.

I use 40 -60 watt bulbs (not LED) on my Jackson's enclosures. I have them sitting angled on top of the cage so they make an ellipse of heat rather than a hot spot. I don't have them on all day but rather a couple hours in the morning and then on and off in 30 -60 minute increments for the afternoon. A thermostat can serve the same function but is pricier $$ than my analog timer. Jackson's seem to like more basking heat than is good for them.

I'm sorry for your horrible experience but hope you know it wasn't likely anything you did.
Thanks for the information, I already went ahead and took it apart and replaced everything yesterday. Right now I'm trying to figure out the ventilation issue as I do want to keep this set up and make it work.

I honestly don't use much social media and I don't even have a Facebook LOL but I'm definitely trying to reach out to breeders that are recommended, I messaged several in my area but I'm really not hearing much back. So I guess I will broaden my Approach. I'm absolutely not going to be purchasing from those suppliers again, I would much rather purchase from a local breeder.

They can "socialize" but that needs go on their own, not you holding them or taking them out the enclosure. These is achievable by giving freedom and options to choose on their own. Them they can reach out to you, but more out of curiosity then affection.
Yes I definitely wasn't planning on forcing them to be my friend or anything lol I had a veiled chameleon years ago and I basically did the same approach if they wanted to crawl up on my hand or my arm it was up to them and never against their will. I just want to make sure I'm getting all the right information instead of the other things I've read online, but that has also been my own experience, but we're talking a decade or so ago.

I will definitely put more plants in there I'm going to put at least two more pathos, unless you recommend something else. I just don't want to overcrowd and cause any issues with the other plants in there. I guess it depends, where are you putting the pothos? I would for sure get more foliage near the middle/top of the enclosure, that is where your chameleon will spend most of his time.

And yeah there's just a lot of mixed information out there about everything including plants and Heating. I tried to read up on the more recent stuff than things from 10 years ago but I'm still seeing a lot of mixed advice on things. That is the main reason I wanted to join one of these groups and it seems to be going well so far! Thank you guys! I'm glad to hear you are having a great experience on here so far. I hope you stick around!

You did mention a fogger, right now I just have the automatic misting system, which I now put at two times a day for 2 minutes like you stated. In the morning and then when the lights go out.Would the the fogger be better to get the humidity up to 100% at night? I would actually be curious to see how high your humidity gets without the fog machine first and particularly pay attention to it after you adjust it to be more of a 'hybrid' enclosure. If you are able to get your humidity anywhere between 70-100% with just your misting system you will not need a fog machine. Just keep us updated on what your numbers look like as you continue to make adjustments :)

I will definitely check out those places for the feeders. I would have thought grasshoppers might have been a little too large for a Jackson chameleon, I will definitely check them out. Most of us do not feed feeders that are bigger than the space between our chameleon's eyes, so you would want to get smaller grasshoppers. The person I tagged who sells them will be able to assist you with that more, when you get your next baby and know his age.

In that room I do have a radiator that kicks on automatically for the cold days and then I do have an AC unit installed in there as well. This is on the second floor so there's more heat naturally than the bottom, I also have a large strong ceiling fan that's not directly above the terrarium but pretty close where it's definitely circulating air that way as well and I just leave that on all the time. Perfect! I would be careful with the ceiling fan, I believe our chameleons do not understand that they are really just fans and not giant birds out to get them, it may cause unnecessary stress to your baby so just be careful with that.

I also was reading several people talking about taking their chameleons outside, it's obviously getting into the lower temperatures here, been in the fifties will drop into the 40s and 30s soon. I do have three large windows in the room, I also have a large banana tree plant that I bring in the house for the fall and winter so I usually open the curtains for the sunlight for it, and that will expose not direct sunlight to the chameleon but it will definitely get the light from the sun that way. Is that a beneficial thing to take them outside and should you only do that in the summer and spring, is that a necessity? I definitely wouldn't want to stress or spook the chameleon, and if should take them outside how does that process work. So long as you have the correct linear UVB you do not need to take your cham outside. I know some keepers do take their chams outside or keep them outside but then you are also dealing with predators such as hawks, raccoons, and other animals that could get your baby. I don't personally take mine outside for those reasons, if I had some good outdoor enclosures I would totally do it because I do believe they would benefit from being out in nature but just be aware there are safety risks. I imagine other keepers have built a relationship with the cham to be able to handle them long enough to transport them to their outside enclosures, this is what I would do and then I'd just bring them in near the end of the day. That cold of temps I would for sure not take the cham outside. If you do, make sure the temps are safe for your chameleon and similar to their husbandry needs and I would suggest having an outdoor enclosure for him as well. Direct or close to indirect sunlight could warm up your enclosure too (including your current enclosure) so just keep an eye on that to make sure open windows aren't heating that up too much.

I know they are solitary animals and don't really care for others, but do you recommend any type of human to chameleon socializing, should I try to hold them for any amount of time every once in awhile or strictly to view in the terrarium? Really I think it depends on your chameleon's personality. Jackson's chameleons are very passive chams and do not show signs of stress like the other chameleons do such as gaping, puffing out their gular, etc. I have and still am building trust with my chameleons. The first few months they are settling in their new home I do not make direct eye contact, I don't touch them and my presence is really only there to give them food and water and check their enclosure. I spend time in the room my chameleon is in doing something calm and quiet so my chameleon can observe me and hopefully realize that I am not a threat to them. Be cautious in your movements, a predator will move quickly. Move slowly and calmly. After doing that for several weeks offer some treat bugs by a cup you offer them, do that for a while, then see how they do by hand feeding. After they are comfortable with that start to move the feeder from your hand further and further away so they eventually have to use your hand to reach the bug and eventually climb onto your hand to reach the bug.
And again...personality is everything, I've got a panther boy that a soon as he sees my hands for any reason he will puff up and show me he is big and scary...even when I have bugs in my hands. However, if he decides he wants out, if I hold a stick out for him to climb on he does just fine, he can climb on me and explore that way but I cannot use my hands and I cannot touch him. My veiled girl is super friendly, she will literally let me hold her and then will eat bugs out of my other hand. My Jacksons is currently occasionally willing to eat bugs from cup I offer and if I'm very lucky he will eat them from my hands, he wont touch me or let me touch him.
Signs I notice when my Jackson's is stressed: color changes, backing up to get away from me (he has never gaped at me or puffed out his gular), adjusting his body so that a branch is between him and myself. If I am trying to feed him a bug and I notice any of these things I back right away.
All that being said, I do not handle my chameleons unless they choose it themselves, I have to do a physical check on them to make sure there are no health concerns, I am deep cleaning their enclosure or I am taking them to the vet. 95% of the time my chams are 'view only' pets, and thats including my super friendly chameleon. They do stress with handling so I just avoid it personally.
This video could give you some helpful tips on handling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnUgZA12fig&t=19s

There is also an excellent blog on here that @Beman made on building trust with your cham, I don't know how to find it though....Beman can you help?
Thank you for the helpful information I will definitely check out the videos of handling. I had a veiled chameleon a decade ago and that's the approach I pretty much did was allow them to choose if they wanted to crawl up on me while I was messing around in their enclosure and left it up to them no forcing them to be my friend or anything LOL!

As far as the humidity and temperature last night the temperature stayed in the low 70s high 60s, the humidity stayed mainly in the high 70s but got up into the '80s. The automatic mister went off after lights out for the 2 minute duration and took the humidity from 60 to 80 but doesn't seem to be reaching 100%. For lights on this morning the temperature was around 77° and after the Morning Mist the humidity staying at around 58%. Only the ceiling fan was no AC or Heating in the room. Also he did not seem aware or at least not frightened of the fan as he sat in front of the glass and didn't seem to hide from it or puff up or anything hopefully the next one will not think it's a huge bird trying to devour him LOL. I will continue to monitor the changes as the days and nights go on.
I also was just wondering if I should get something like this Moistenland Reptile Humidifier,Moistenland Ventilation Fan For Reptile Enclosure https://a.co/d/hcWpVjO

I'm assuming the fan could be flipped either way to pull or flow air, if that would be a good purchase or unnecessary?

People have successfully used computer fans to direct air out of not into all glass cages. If humidity is a problem in your area this may not work but in dry regions it can work with a lot of special care and attention to temperature and humidity levels.

Ideas, Tips, and Tricks for a glass enclosure :)

Not really much of an issue, basically at room temperature right now. The room never falls under 70° unless I turn the AC on, the enclosure is located on the Upper Floor so stays decently warm. The misting system seems to do well but I have yet to hit 100% humidity at night time the highest I've gotten to is around 87%. During the day I can definitely manage the 70° 50 to 60% humidity

Back
Top Bottom