What kind of worm is this?

They don't need ants to survive, but use ants' protection to their advantage. If there are ants around, they will use them, but if not then they will be just fine.

I was wondering what role the ants play in all this. I'm going to do some research because now I want to know if they serve as "protection" or food? Also curious timing that I now have several ants on some of my plants when I've never had this issue with either. Makes me wonder if there are more worms I haven't found yet?

According to ASPCS hibiscus are toxic to dogs, cats, and horses. Caterpillars are good at using plant toxins to their advantage. I am a fan of feeding wild insects as long as they don't consume toxic plants or are known to be toxic. With caterpillars note what they eat and if they have bright colors or hairs. If one or the other is true don't feed it to you reptile.

I love how when we find bugs our first reaction is to think of it as food rather than being creeped out by it or squishing it like most people.
I went tubing w my daughter (she is 40) and some of her friends and discovered so many living things that my babies would love to eat, i almost forgot why i came. I wanted to let them go on but i didnt bring anything to put stuff in. Next time, im gonna drive them and catch bugs while they do the tubeing

It is funny how we start looking at bugs as food/treats for our critters. My brother was telling me about a funky worm he found at his house the other day and I asked "did you save it?" He said no, but he thought about throwing it in the tank for his cichlids lol!! No matter what the animal, they become family....

It is funny how we start looking at bugs as food/treats for our critters. My brother was telling me about a funky worm he found at his house the other day and I asked "did you save it?" He said no, but he thought about throwing it in the tank for his cichlids lol!! No matter what the animal, they become family....
I've always been interested in bugs, I'm the weird woman at work that takes the spiders and whatnot outside rather than killing them. At home it's a different story, I live in the woods and there's so many great insects here and I look at them all as potential tasty treats for my chams. They're loving the katydids right now.

Ooohhhhh and the wood roaches don't stand a chance either.
I'm still trying to psych myself up to order some dubias for mine. I think she'd love them. I got a couple small beetles in with my crickets a while back and she crunched those up real quick.

I'm still trying to psych myself up to order some dubias for mine. I think she'd love them. I got a couple small beetles in with my crickets a while back and she crunched those up real quick.
Mine didn't care for dubia, they're slow and don't move much but they look like rolly polies if that helps you. The wood roaches are big and fast and the really large ones fly so my chams love them.

Mine didn't care for dubia, they're slow and don't move much but they look like rolly polies if that helps you. The wood roaches are big and fast and the really large ones fly so my chams love them.
That's good to know that dubias don't move much, Chloe may not go for those either. As for flying roaches, goodness no! :eek: She loves worms tho so I'm about to order more horned worms for her

That's good to know that dubias don't move much, Chloe may not go for those either. As for flying roaches, goodness no! :eek: She loves worms tho so I'm about to order more horned worms for her
They wood roaches really freaked me out when I first moved into the country but once I learned that they don't infest your house the ick factor started to go away. I'm not crazy about the 3in flying ones but if they're going to make the mistake of coming inside then they're becoming food.

They wood roaches really freaked me out when I first moved into the country but once I learned that they don't infest your house the ick factor started to go away. I'm not crazy about the 3in flying ones but if they're going to make the mistake of coming inside then they're becoming food.
Haha! I like it. I'm on the search for more worms because I still have ants roaming around my pepper plant. The one worm I kept is now kinda silvery looking, which I think means it may turn soon?? I'm hopeful, I'd love to get a little butterfly out of this experiment. (y):)

I really want to order some praying mantis egg pods so I can feed those to Chloe and put some out on my plants.

Back
Top Bottom