veiled chameleon sudden decline in health

P-Fizzle

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, Randy is his name he is male, he is 3 years 10 months old, I got him when he was 2 weeks old.
  • Handling - I never handle him. He is not the touchy type.
  • Feeding - i feed him crickets, superworms, hornworms, turnip and collared greens, raspberries, and blueberries(used to be more but he has become picky with age)i feed him just a few bugs 2 worms or 5 cricketseveryone day on the off days he gets a salad. I gut load with the greens he eats and other fruit, a calcium cricket feed also.
  • Supplements - Randy gets Repti-Calcium without D3 at every insect feeding. He gets Repti-Calcium with D3 every other week, and Rep-Cal herptivite with beta carotene on the off weeks.
  • Watering - Randy has an automated mister set to go off every few hours for about 30 seconds. I also hand mist him twice a day. I used to have a dripper but he never used it so i gave up on it. As far as seeing him drink i have never seen him drink besides licking his lips and biting at leaves.
  • Fecal Description - Poops are few and far between lately maybe three a month. His last one this week when he started to become ill was very watery and almost clear. I've never had him tested for parasites.
  • History - not much to say except he burnt his veil once. Took him to a vet and he said Randy was the largest chameleon he had ever seen. Guy takes care of the veileds at science city in Kansas city too.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screened enclose 4'x2'x2'
  • Lighting - I have a repti sun 10.0 uvb florescent tube light 2' long. 2 daylight zoo med 100w basking bulbs since he has two baking spots he prefers. Lighting is 12hrs on 12 hrs off.
  • Temperature - 90-95F baking spot. Mid 70F bottom of cage during the day. 60F to 70F at night depending on what my wife had the air set at. I use digital thermometers and I have a digital roo. Thermometer.
  • Humidity - i have a digital humidity gage and I use a humidifier in the winter and just must in the summer. Humidity levels vary from 50 to 70%.
  • Plants - i have 3 pothos plants, a ficus tree and a dracena.
  • Placement - the cage is in my office in front of a West facing window with an air vent nearby. Its 2' off the ground and the area is very low traffic. I use a fan sometimes in the room if its hot.
  • Location - I live in Missouri in the United States of America.

Current Problem - my wife noted that last week Randy wasn't eating. He then had a strange bowl movement. In the last 4 days he seems to have lost the ability to move the front half of his body(legs and torso). He still hisses and me and grabs with his back legs and tail. He seams very week. I have fed him some dusted insects by killing them and popping them in his mouth. I use a piece of fish tank air tubing(never used) and drop water into his mouth and i can see him swallow. Today I made a low concentration slurry of d3 calcium and raspberries and dropped that into his mouth and he ate it. Only thing is I have seen no improvement his paralysis remains the same. I note no external injuries, no swelling, he seems to have suddenly become paralyzed. His rear is stiff and his front is limp. I made a "raft" of branches for him to remain off the ground (I would prefer him to die in the trees where he wants to be of it happens) and i set up a basking light above that spot to give him some heat(he feels cold) Any help is appreciated i plam to get him to a vet if he makes it until Monday. I hate to see him go I have worked so hard I have to journals logging his diet and life for the whole time I have owned him.

Hi there! So sorry to hear that your Randy isn't doing well. Can you please post photos of your enclosure and Randy? More is better.

I am a newbie so I will refrain on giving advice, but I know the photos will help others who are more experienced give you better advice.

Hi. Sorry that Randy isn’t doing well. Looking at your husbandry, nothing is jumping out at me except giving him salad. Collards and other similar greens can block calcium absorption. Although veileds will eat fruits and veggies, they have no need to. With the loose bowel movement, I would maybe suspect parasites. Sorry that I can’t offer more than that. Perhaps a more experienced member than I will see something that I don’t.

Hi. Sorry that Randy isn’t doing well. Looking at your husbandry, nothing is jumping out at me except giving him salad. Collards and other similar greens can block calcium absorption. Although veileds will eat fruits and veggies, they have no need to. With the loose bowel movement, I would maybe suspect parasites. Sorry that I can’t offer more than that. Perhaps a more experienced member than I will see something that I don’t.
Thank you i will watch out for that. From what I read maybe it is a lack of calcium but I dont know. I feel so bad for him i hate to watch him suffer.

20200710_074728.jpg
20200710_074714.jpg

20200710_084710.jpg
Well Randy pooped again this morning to my surprise. Its a weird one again. Very watery and orange color. I hope it isn't kidney problems.

Scoop it up in a plastic baggie and put in the fridge for the vet, if you haven't already. To test for parasites.

Is the soil in your potted plants organic and does your Cham like to go to the bottom of his enclosure? I know, strange question

Definitely have that sample tested asap, if it’s parasites shouldn’t be to hard to get him back on track. If it where me I would take him to have blood work done also.

The orange is his urate and shows he’s dehydrated. However, there is a bit of white urate so it’s just possible it was just sitting inside him for a few days. The fecal blob though is too loose and unformed. Don’t give anything to him other than water and bugs. Be very careful if force feeding/hydrating not to cause him to aspirate. Chameleons trachea is in the front of their mouth, esophagus in the back.
His back ankle looks large or is it just the angle? Are you able to post more pics of him from various angles?

Hi there welcome to the forum. I am going to go through your entire help form.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, Randy is his name he is male, he is 3 years 10 months old, I got him when he was 2 weeks old.
  • Feeding - i feed him crickets, superworms, hornworms, turnip and collared greens, raspberries, and blueberries(used to be more but he has become picky with age)i feed him just a few bugs 2 worms or 5 cricketseveryone day on the off days he gets a salad. I gut load with the greens he eats and other fruit, a calcium cricket feed also. So one thing that is particularly an issue is feeding them fruits and greens. The fruits can actually cause internal issues. Their bodies are not made to eat such things. They are straight insectivores. Veileds will munch on plants but this is believed to be more of a trait from where they are from in Yemen. They eat soft bodied insects there and then eat leaves for roughage.
  • Supplements - Randy gets Repti-Calcium without D3 at every insect feeding. He gets Repti-Calcium with D3 every other week, and Rep-Cal herptivite with beta carotene on the off weeks. Schedule is perfect. Only thing here is the Herptivite. there are some that believe the beta carotene is not enough for them so the line of thinking is to have a multivitamin with preformed vitamin A like Reptivite without D3.
  • Watering - Randy has an automated mister set to go off every few hours for about 30 seconds. I also hand mist him twice a day. I used to have a dripper but he never used it so i gave up on it. As far as seeing him drink i have never seen him drink besides licking his lips and biting at leaves. 30 seconds is a bit short. I would lengthen this to put a good layer of mist down and trigger his drinking response.
  • Fecal Description - Poops are few and far between lately maybe three a month. His last one this week when he started to become ill was very watery and almost clear. I've never had him tested for parasites. The fecal pic you posted is abnormal. I highly suggest getting it tested.
  • History - not much to say except he burnt his veil once. Took him to a vet and he said Randy was the largest chameleon he had ever seen. Guy takes care of the veileds at science city in Kansas city too.

Cage Info:

• Lighting - I have a repti sun 10.0 uvb florescent tube light 2' long. 2 daylight zoo med 100w basking bulbs since he has two baking spots he prefers. Lighting is 12hrs on 12 hrs off. When did you replace the UVB bulb last?
  • Temperature - 90-95F baking spot. Mid 70F bottom of cage during the day. 60F to 70F at night depending on what my wife had the air set at. I use digital thermometers and I have a digital roo. Thermometer. 95 is a bit on the hot side. I would drop this back to 90 max.
  • Humidity - i have a digital humidity gage and I use a humidifier in the winter and just must in the summer. Humidity levels vary from 50 to 70%.
  • Placement - the cage is in my office in front of a West facing window with an air vent nearby. Its 2' off the ground and the area is very low traffic. I use a fan sometimes in the room if its hot.

Current Problem - my wife noted that last week Randy wasn't eating. He then had a strange bowl movement. In the last 4 days he seems to have lost the ability to move the front half of his body(legs and torso). He still hisses and me and grabs with his back legs and tail. He seams very week. I have fed him some dusted insects by killing them and popping them in his mouth. I use a piece of fish tank air tubing(never used) and drop water into his mouth and i can see him swallow. Today I made a low concentration slurry of d3 calcium and raspberries and dropped that into his mouth and he ate it. Only thing is I have seen no improvement his paralysis remains the same. I note no external injuries, no swelling, he seems to have suddenly become paralyzed. His rear is stiff and his front is limp. I made a "raft" of branches for him to remain off the ground (I would prefer him to die in the trees where he wants to be of it happens) and i set up a basking light above that spot to give him some heat(he feels cold) Any help is appreciated i plam to get him to a vet if he makes it until Monday. I hate to see him go I have worked so hard I have to journals logging his diet and life for the whole time I have owned him.

I recommend a vet visit with an experienced reptile/chameleon vet. I am concerned that it could be an issue with organs shutting down. He is older now and this can happen. The paralysis shows that something is very off in his body. Blood work would be a good idea.

I would not advice making a slurry. You can actually overdose him on D3. This is fat soluble and does not flush from the system rather gets stored in the tissues and organs. Be extremely careful putting water into his mouth. Their airway is at the front and they can aspirate the water. I would stop feeding all fruits as well.

The orange is his urate and shows he’s dehydrated. However, there is a bit of white urate so it’s just possible it was just sitting inside him for a few days. The fecal blob though is too loose and unformed. Don’t give anything to him other than water and bugs. Be very careful if force feeding/hydrating not to cause him to aspirate. Chameleons trachea is in the front of their mouth, esophagus in the back.
His back ankle looks large or is it just the angle? Are you able to post more pics of him from various angles?
I am at work now ill see if I can get some more photos. I believe its the angle but je has always had large back legs.

Hi there welcome to the forum. I am going to go through your entire help form.

Chameleon Info:

• Feeding - i feed him crickets, superworms, hornworms, turnip and collared greens, raspberries, and blueberries(used to be more but he has become picky with age)i feed him just a few bugs 2 worms or 5 cricketseveryone day on the off days he gets a salad. I gut load with the greens he eats and other fruit, a calcium cricket feed also. So one thing that is particularly an issue is feeding them fruits and greens. The fruits can actually cause internal issues. Their bodies are not made to eat such things. They are straight insectivores. Veileds will munch on plants but this is believed to be more of a trait from where they are from in Yemen. They eat soft bodied insects there and then eat leaves for roughage.
  • Supplements - Randy gets Repti-Calcium without D3 at every insect feeding. He gets Repti-Calcium with D3 every other week, and Rep-Cal herptivite with beta carotene on the off weeks. Schedule is perfect. Only thing here is the Herptivite. there are some that believe the beta carotene is not enough for them so the line of thinking is to have a multivitamin with preformed vitamin A like Reptivite without D3.
  • Watering - Randy has an automated mister set to go off every few hours for about 30 seconds. I also hand mist him twice a day. I used to have a dripper but he never used it so i gave up on it. As far as seeing him drink i have never seen him drink besides licking his lips and biting at leaves. 30 seconds is a bit short. I would lengthen this to put a good layer of mist down and trigger his drinking response.
  • Fecal Description - Poops are few and far between lately maybe three a month. His last one this week when he started to become ill was very watery and almost clear. I've never had him tested for parasites. The fecal pic you posted is abnormal. I highly suggest getting it tested.

Cage Info:

• Lighting - I have a repti sun 10.0 uvb florescent tube light 2' long. 2 daylight zoo med 100w basking bulbs since he has two baking spots he prefers. Lighting is 12hrs on 12 hrs off. When did you replace the UVB bulb last?
  • Temperature - 90-95F baking spot. Mid 70F bottom of cage during the day. 60F to 70F at night depending on what my wife had the air set at. I use digital thermometers and I have a digital roo. Thermometer. 95 is a bit on the hot side. I would drop this back to 90 max.

I recommend a vet visit with an experienced reptile/chameleon vet. I am concerned that it could be an issue with organs shutting down. He is older now and this can happen. The paralysis shows that something is very off in his body. Blood work would be a good idea.

I would not advice making a slurry. You can actually overdose him on D3. This is fat soluble and does not flush from the system rather gets stored in the tissues and organs. Be extremely careful putting water into his mouth. Their airway is at the front and they can aspirate the water. I would stop feeding all fruits as well.
Ok i will definitely stop the fruit. I will adjust his lights as well. The uvb bulb was replaced last month. I didnt know that about his airway I will be very careful of that. Misting is an easy fix. I think i remember reading something back when I got him about avoiding vitamin a thats why I went with the beta carotene maybe it was mis information. I am hopeful to get him to a vet on monday me and the wife work everyday until then I wish it was easier for us to get him in.

Ok i will definitely stop the fruit. I will adjust his lights as well. The uvb bulb was replaced last month. I didnt know that about his airway I will be very careful of that. Misting is an easy fix. I think i remember reading something back when I got him about avoiding vitamin a thats why I went with the beta carotene maybe it was mis information. I am hopeful to get him to a vet on monday me and the wife work everyday until then I wish it was easier for us to get him in.
Good luck let us know what the vet says. :)

Back
Top Bottom