uvb length matter?

joshbarney

so I have a baby veiled chamelen about 2-3 months, it has a enclosure close to 2x2x4 maybe a little lest but it fits the adult size. I bought a 12 inch 8w t5 uvb bulb (10.0)
I was wondering if that bulb is enough while he is small, his enclosure does get a little of natural sun light but I don't know if its enough for him

Hi and welcome! I don’t know about babies, but typically you want the uvb to be as long as the enclosure is wide. I know that babies like to screen climb on the top of the enclosure sometimes, and the uvb needs to be raised so they don’t get over exposed.

As for natural sun, how is he being exposed to it? UVB will not penetrate glass, so if it’s by a window, this will not help unfortunately.

Hi and welcome! I don’t know about babies, but typically you want the uvb to be as long as the enclosure is wide. I know that babies like to screen climb on the top of the enclosure sometimes, and the uvb needs to be raised so they don’t get over exposed.

As for natural sun, how is he being exposed to it? UVB will not penetrate glass, so if it’s by a window, this will not help unfortunately.
I have a question? I don’t know if you can answer this or not but my chameleon egg just hatched from its egg and he is having troubles he has not totally escape from it are we supposed to just let him come out on it’s own or we supposed to help him out

Attachments

• IMG_1303.jpeg
    IMG_1303.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 52
I have a question? I don’t know if you can answer this or not but my chameleon egg just hatched from its egg and he is having troubles he has not totally escape from it are we supposed to just let him come out on it’s own or we supposed to help him out
I know nothing about babies other than they are hard to care for and very fragile.

You should start your own thread in the breeding section of the forum to get more replies.
He/she appears to be fully out. It should start to move around if it is strong enough to survive.
They usually come out on their own within a day (24 hrs) after that they may need help. Some come out and go back in. Those come out on their own. It’s a tough call to interfere or not as you can hurt them.

Last edited:
Welcome to the world lil guy. I would make your own post by pressing "Forums" at the top, then on the right side press "Post thread". That way more people will be able to help!

so I have a baby veiled chamelen about 2-3 months, it has a enclosure close to 2x2x4 maybe a little lest but it fits the adult size. I bought a 12 inch 8w t5 uvb bulb (10.0)
I was wondering if that bulb is enough while he is small, his enclosure does get a little of natural sun light but I don't know if its enough for him
Hi there you would want a 24 inch T6HO fixture to run the width of the enclosure and a 5.0 or 6% bulb strength. Then you want to lift the fixture up off the top of the cage 4 inches. You will then put in another branch 5 inches below the screen top. This ensures baby will not be overexposed to the UVI level of the bulb when it screen climbs the top. When baby gets to the point that it no longer screen climbs the top of the cage you will drop the fixture down on the screen and then the closest branch from the screen needs to be 8-9 inches from the screen below the UVB. This will then put the cham in the right UVI exposure level.

If you are running a heat fixture make sure this is lifted at least 4 inches off the top of the cage and your bulb strength is not stronger than a 60 watt regular incandescent white bulb. Babies can over heat easily.

Natural sun through glass will not work because the glass filters out all of the UVB from the sun. Also be careful having the cage by a window this is going to increase temps quite a bit for baby when the sun is on it.

Hi there you would want a 24 inch T6HO fixture to run the width of the enclosure and a 5.0 or 6% bulb strength. Then you want to lift the fixture up off the top of the cage 4 inches. You will then put in another branch 5 inches below the screen top. This ensures baby will not be overexposed to the UVI level of the bulb when it screen climbs the top. When baby gets to the point that it no longer screen climbs the top of the cage you will drop the fixture down on the screen and then the closest branch from the screen needs to be 8-9 inches from the screen below the UVB. This will then put the cham in the right UVI exposure level.

If you are running a heat fixture make sure this is lifted at least 4 inches off the top of the cage and your bulb strength is not stronger than a 60 watt regular incandescent white bulb. Babies can over heat easily.

Natural sun through glass will not work because the glass filters out all of the UVB from the sun. Also be careful having the cage by a window this is going to increase temps quite a bit for baby when the sun is on it.
thanks alot

Back
Top Bottom