UVB bulbs causeing skin tumors?

Thisweekstrend

I just took my chameleon to the vet and he told me to watch using UVB light because he has been seeing alot of cases of chameleons get tumors and skin problems along their spines. Has anyone else heard of this?

I have a male panther with a tumor on his cask I'm not sure what its caused by but did he say what type or was it uvb in general?

I just took my chameleon to the vet and he told me to watch using UVB light because he has been seeing alot of cases of chameleons get tumors and skin problems along their spines. Has anyone else heard of this?

Goodness, this sounds just like Max...my Jackson's Cham. Actually I just shelled out ~$400 to get his growths removed. He was false-diagnosed by one vet saying they were abscesses. I took him to a new vet that could do blood tests, x-ray, culture, etc. They put him under yesterday and removed them. I have not heard of this until now and I was just now told that they were not abscesses, they were growths...she has them in jars and can test what they are with about $150 more charge, but I'm in college and can't afford more. :/

So maybe it's the UBV lighting? I have a very common light among Cham owners. Here's his X-ray. Now there's basically a hole where the growth was. Cream daily on it also painkillers/antibiotics orally daily.

j950kh.jpg

As you can see, it was right along his spine...near his rump, base of the tail. Thing is, he had some discoloring there (like a light green/yellow) but it did not start growing until July/August. I got him in May, when I did notice the discoloring then (he was my first Cham).

PLEASE let me know if you find out more! I'd like to know what this is, how to prevent it in the future!

Also, I say "they" because I noticed that there was another small bump above his shoulder (you can't see it in the X-ray) but the vet went in to remove the growth but said there was nothing in there to remove, it was just a hardening of the skin...

I thought UVB was essential to create bone mass combined with calcium? I have a feeling this is gona be one hell of a debate once it gains a few more followers

Hmm.. very interesting. Boy, I would like to see a culture of the removed mass..

I would really like to...but college is standing in my way. I am thinking that this was something that came about before he was in my care, and I hope that nothing similar pops up in the future. Can't wait until his wounds are healed and he's back to normal!

Back
Top Bottom