Chameleon skin pests

tutle64

I'm gonna keep this brief. My chameleon has been pretty inactive the last two days, and over the last month he's been shedding pretty much consistently. I know too much shedding is a big sign of either improper humidity/temp or skin pests. I know my humidity and temps are good though, as its 70F ambient, 85-90F basking, 30-50% humidity at day and 50-70% at night. I asked the vet about it and he said not to worry since he's probably just growing. On closer inspection today though, I found these pests on his skin. The one looked like a fly and the others are sort of like little brown mites. I know snake keepers try to keep a close eye on this stuff but I can't find any information about it for chameleons. I'm looking for proper identification of these pests and possible remedies. I'm not including my cage setup info because its irrelevant to my question other than the obvious probability of hitchhikers from live plants/soil.

Attachments

• 20240403_114416.jpg
    20240403_114416.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240403_114438.jpg
    20240403_114438.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240403_114658.jpg
    20240403_114658.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 5
I honestly can not really see them well enough to tell anything. You can get soil gnats in cages but these are harmless to chams. Depending on what you used for your cage set up you can bring in tiny mites from the trees. Most only go after the wood in the cage and die off because they do not handle all the moisture from mistings.

I would say get him into a reptile vet that actually has experience with this sort of thing.

I honestly can not really see them well enough to tell anything. You can get soil gnats in cages but these are harmless to chams. Depending on what you used for your cage set up you can bring in tiny mites from the trees. Most only go after the wood in the cage and die off because they do not handle all the moisture from mistings.

I would say get him into a reptile vet that actually has experience with this sort of thing.
Unfortunately I do not have access to such a vet. There is only one in my vicinity and he isnt the best with chameleons. That's why I came here

Back
Top Bottom