Sos swollen eyes

ChameleonClem

Established Member
My cham has had swollen eyes for nearly a week now, theyre not getting any better or worse, im not sure what to do about it or whats caused it?
Ive been ill lately so i admit he has not recieved the best care. But i recently replaced his uvb bulb for a new one, and added a sansii grow bulb.
Both eyes are the same and his eyes are always open during the day, scanning for danger as they should, he may be a little lethargic but not much.
He is freshly a year old, and the nearest exotic vet is very far away and he refuses to be handled, I try to get him more comfortable with me but i can never get him to the point where he will tolerate being handled, and i dont want to have to pry him off his stick and shove him a box for an hour to go a vet. Does anyone know how to help him recover at home?
IMG_5558.jpeg
IMG_5550.jpeg

IMG_5549.jpeg

Hi, I've been in your boat needing help recently, the first thing people will ask you to do is to fill out this form, it will give a better idea of the problem for the more experienced chameleon keepers to give the best advice. Post further out pics of the enclosure too! I also used the forum search feature to find other similar issues with the advice in those threads! Best of luck and you'll be in good hands :) Don't count out on going to the vet either, sometimes they seem to need it :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I’m not seeing swelling either, but I do see what looks like he might have something in the inner aspect of his eyes. Doing a husbandry review is always great. In the meantime, try giving your handsome guy an extra long misting to help him clean out his eyes.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - male, panther, approx. 1 yr, he came into my possession last spring from framchams
  • Handling - i do not handle him, i sit/stand next to the cage during feeding. Attempts to put my hands near him seem to deeply stress him and i am trying to build trust, however in the past year ive not made a ton of progress. Food is always involved
  • Feeding - only crickets so far, hornworms are on the way for the first time? 10-15 crickets, i try to feed once a day but since ive been ill sometimes i miss a day. (Im under the impression thats okay) and i feed the crickets frresh vegi scraps from the kitchen + flukers cricket food + a paper towel soaked in water
  • Supplements - Will include picture using calcium onevery feeding except the 1st and 15th of every month then we use the reptivite. I just grab a pinch with my tongs and drop it in the sandwhich bag with my feeders and give them a good shake.
  • Watering - i have an auto misting system + distilled water, it was spraying 1 min right before lights come on and 1 min 30 mins before lights go off but ive added a 2 min mid day mist too.
  • Fecal Description - never been tested for parasites. Fecal has been pretty consistent the entire time ive had him brown and white
  • History - we get our feeders from joshes frogs and havnt got them from any other source since early summer. I also put his feeders in an enclosed feeder box now unless im working on taming but feeders never really touch the bottom of the cage.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - i have the xl reptibreeze cage and it is wrapped on three sides with a shower curtain.
  • Lighting - i have lucky herp t5 10.0 UVB in a reptizoo fixture, flukers incandescent 60 watt basking bulb Heat and a sansi gro bulb. All lights on at 7:30 sansi off at 6:00 other lights off at 7:30.
  • Temperature - basking spot is usually about 92, the bottom of the cage i dont have a thermometer for but the room is 68-71 (we have an old house with baseboard heat). I have a zoo med thermo/humidity combo i measure the humidity at the bottom of the cage and heat at the basking spot of course
  • Humidity - usually around 40-45
  • Plants - only live plants, tons of pothos, a ficus, a peace lilly and a struggling hibiscus.
  • Placement - cage is located in a far corner of our living area and it is the lowest traffic area of our home, our only other pet is a small dog who is not alloud in that part of the house and no children. Top of cage is arnd 6 ft and the highest branch also the basking branch is at the top of my 5’4 head.
  • Location - indiana, usa

Current Problem - puffiness in lower portion of the eye?? Or am i paranoid.
We also have had a raging cage of fungus gnats for many months now, ive been trying to get rid of them via sticky traps and mosquito bits. Ut i scared i might accidentally poison Mr Melon if i leave them in there or too much juice.
Now that im looking at old photos maybe it isnt that bad maybe hes just filling out, i just felt like his eye shape changed a bit. None the less feel free to review my setup.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 18
We also have had a raging cage of fungus gnats for many months now, ive been trying to get rid of them via sticky traps and mosquito bits. Ut i scared i might accidentally poison Mr Melon if i leave them in there or too much juice.
Now that im looking at old photos maybe it isnt that bad maybe hes just filling out, i just felt like his eye shape changed a bit. None the less feel free to review my setup.
For the fungus nats I invested in a Mr katchy helped a TON it was a plant of mine that was attracting them so if you can find out which plant discard of it mine was a dwarf umbrella since getting rid of it I only get the occasional one nat

Back
Top Bottom