Too much D3

Berg

So since joining this forum I have been going to all the local pet store to find calcium without d3 with no luck.

Now I know calcium is on of the most important things for a Cham/lizard but all my calcium has d3 and I don't want her to go with out so I have been dusting my crickets every other day with it.

I have ordered calcium without d3 and it's on it's way..

So can too much d3 be bad?

yes it is bad. every other day is way to much, you should be dusting twice a month, as long as you have normal calcium on the way you should be good dusting with that every other day. just no more d3 untill next month at least

If it's going to be awhile before you get your shipment, you can grind up some cuttlebone in your food processor or blender (very, very fine!) and use that. Usually even places like Wal Mart or drug stores carry cuttlebone for birds.

The problem with the D3 is that, while it aids in absorbing calcium, it interferes with absorbing other things, notably Vitamin A. So, you end up doing a bit of a dance to make sure you get enough D3 to keep the calcium levels good, but not too much D3.

Once you have your calcium without D3 I think you're safe dusting every day with that.

Yea that's what I figured. I'm assuming to much multi vitiman is bad too.

Alright it's settle I'll stop dusting with d3 and wait for no d3.

EDIT: I ordered from lllreptile btw so I'm not sure how long until it gets here.

Thanks for all the help guys and prompt replies

I think it's safer to not give him any calcium until the no D3 get to you. He won't have any ill effects from not being supplemented a week, while it seems more harmful to give him that much D3.

I dont know why any of the large box pet stores dont carry calcium w/o d3? I had the same problem when I got my cham. I had to order plain calcium also.

Thanks for this post! I have been dusting my crickets with calcium with d3 everyday which is what the pet store told me to do, the pet store in which i bought my cham from, so now that I kow this I will look for calcium without d3. i have been doing this for about 5 months! thanks to the pet store!

Thanks for this post! I have been dusting my crickets with calcium with d3 everyday which is what the pet store told me to do, the pet store in which i bought my cham from, so now that I kow this I will look for calcium without d3. i have been doing this for about 5 months! thanks to the pet store!

Yea that's what they told me as well but after reading on here everyone keep saying without. They don't know chameleons like the poeple on here.

Off Topic : Don't know if they gave you any reptile bark(like they gave me) but that is bad for them too.

Lol after looking back like almost everything they told me was wrong. :D

I think most of us have been sent home with the one little jar of powder and told "just use this every day!" The reality is we need at least 3 little jars and a calendar to keep track of our schedule.

I think lll ships postal unless you pay extra so it could take as much as a week, especially as you are in Canada.

Back
Top Bottom