New Reptile and Cham owner!

Hi everyone!
I just bought a chameleon from a breeder at a reptile expo last week and I am a bit confused on how to feed my chameleon. I have bought dubia roaches, hornworms (for treats), silk worms, and mealworms, but I am a bit confused on how to gut-load and make sure he gets all the nutrients he needs.

Firstly, how often am I supposed to use the calcium powder and how much of it do I use? Do I put it in his feeder bowl and sprinkle it on top of the bugs? I have the calcium without D3 and then separately D3 which I have read to use twice a month? Do you do sprinkle it on top of the bugs in his bowl as well? Also when you gut-load, can I just use the same fruits and veggies with all of the worms and roaches? Should I be feeding mulberry leaves to the silkworms, I don't know if all of these worms will eat the same things.

Also, if you are still reading thank you haha. I have a question about keeping the temperature of the cage around 85 during the day. He has his heat lamp and UVB but outside of the heat lamp, the enclosure does not really get above 75. I bought a heater to put in the room that I am keeping him, but when I watch videos, I don't really see people having problems with keeping the general temperature decently warm during the day. Any advice on that?

Thanks!!

First off, welcome! We’d love to see some pics of your little one! Second, what species is your Cham and the age? This will be important as different species have different requirements.

Calcium WITHOUT d3 at every feeding and a multivitamin twice a month. I do the 1st and 15th to keep it easy to remember. I put a pinch in my feeder cup and shake the bugs a bit. They should be lightly dusted. If they look like powdered donuts then you have used too much. Hornworms silkworms and dubia are great feeders! Mealworms can be fed, but aren’t really recommended as they do not provide much nutrition. Silkworms will only eat mulberry leaves, but sometimes come with a premade food (made with the leaves). Let me dig up the gut load list we use around here for you.

As for temps, we can look at that as soon as you tell me your guys species and age ☺️

Here ya go. These graphics should help you with the Gutload and feeders. I personally use repashy bug burger for Gutload as well as tossing fruit and veggie scraps in the bug bins as well. I have one chameleon so not many bugs so that is what works best for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0334.jpeg
    IMG_0334.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0335.jpeg
    IMG_0335.jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 56
First off, welcome! We’d love to see some pics of your little one! Second, what species is your Cham and the age? This will be important as different species have different requirements.

Calcium WITHOUT d3 at every feeding and a multivitamin twice a month. I do the 1st and 15th to keep it easy to remember. I put a pinch in my feeder cup and shake the bugs a bit. They should be lightly dusted. If they look like powdered donuts then you have used too much. Hornworms silkworms and dubia are great feeders! Mealworms can be fed, but aren’t really recommended as they do not provide much nutrition. Silkworms will only eat mulberry leaves, but sometimes come with a premade food (made with the leaves). Let me dig up the gut load list we use around here for you.

As for temps, we can look at that as soon as you tell me your guys species and age ☺️
Thank you for this! I was definitely making them look like powdered donuts so that is good information. And he’s a panther chameleon! I will attach a picture! I have his big enclosure coming on Sunday! And when you say vitamins do you mean the D3 or something else completely different?

Attachments

• 71685265034__854B5583-96A0-465F-845D-CE32E9A7D801.jpeg
    71685265034__854B5583-96A0-465F-845D-CE32E9A7D801.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 48
Thank you for this! I was definitely making them look like powdered donuts so that is good information. And he’s a panther chameleon! I will attach a picture! I have his big enclosure coming on Sunday! And when you say vitamins do you mean the D3 or something else completely different?
OMG SUCH A CUTIE! I have a veiled so temp requirements are different for your guy than what I am used to. I will let one of the other keepers give you more information on that portion so I don’t give you wrong info. I will say that the enclosure needs to have varying temperatures. The basking spot will be your highest temp and then cooler as it goes down towards the bottom of the enclosure. This gives your little man options if he needs to cool off or warm up. So I’d say the heater isn’t a necessity unless it’s just freezing. Just have your basking branch under the heat bulb and monitor the temps.

As for the multivitamin, there are a couple you can use. Yes, they need D3 twice a month but also other vitamins. I use reptivite with d3. I’ll attach a picture. They need vitamin A along with the d3. There are two kinds of vitamin a and I for some reason get confused by that. I know this multivitamin has the correct one (confirmed by others here when I first started) and it already has the d3 as well so I have just stuck with this one.

Do not be afraid to ask as many questions as you want. We love helping here and it’s a great community. Many of us are on here multiple times a day so someone will be able to give you a hand ☺️

Attachments

• IMG_0336.jpeg
    IMG_0336.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 42
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! And I have that same one! So since it has the other vitamins with it, I should give that twice a month?
Yes. Use the calcium without d3 every feeding except when you use the reptivite. Let’s double check with some other keepers that the multivitamin (the reptivite) is twice monthly for panthers. Like I said my guy is a veiled so it varies some. Two keepers that have helped me tons have already been tagged. and they should be along within the next few hours im willing to bet 😂

Hello and welcome! I am so glad you found this place for your sweet little baby. @Gloriawood has given you some excellent information for your little guy. I'm going to read through as well and see what else I would add :)

The silkworms and horn worms are gut loaded already with the premade food they eat in their containers :)

Also you will want to make sure your multivitamin has D3 in it, your baby will need that 2x a month as well.

What a beautiful baby! How old is he and do you know what local he is?

OMG SUCH A CUTIE! I have a veiled so temp requirements are different for your guy than what I am used to. I will let one of the other keepers give you more information on that portion so I don’t give you wrong info. I will say that the enclosure needs to have varying temperatures. The basking spot will be your highest temp and then cooler as it goes down towards the bottom of the enclosure. This gives your little man options if he needs to cool off or warm up. So I’d say the heater isn’t a necessity unless it’s just freezing. Just have your basking branch under the heat bulb and monitor the temps.

As for the multivitamin, there are a couple you can use. Yes, they need D3 twice a month but also other vitamins. I use reptivite with d3. I’ll attach a picture. They need vitamin A along with the d3. There are two kinds of vitamin a and I for some reason get confused by that. I know this multivitamin has the correct one (confirmed by others here when I first started) and it already has the d3 as well so I have just stuck with this one.

Do not be afraid to ask as many questions as you want. We love helping here and it’s a great community. Many of us are on here multiple times a day so someone will be able to give you a hand ☺️
To add to what @Gloriawood said:

I have my chameleons in my basement, with the temperature/weather changing where I live I actually use a space heater to warm up their section of the basement, otherwise I am unable to maintain temps my babies need. I work from home so this method works well for me. You could also try a slightly higher watt bulb that will create more heat and have that set higher above the enclosure to create more of a heat gradient. You will want to check your temps when doing this and also to the 'hand test'. Place the back of your hand to the closest place your baby can be by the heat lamp and hold it there for several minutes. If its too hot for your hand its too hot for your baby.

You want his basking branch to be no more than 80-85 degrees, depending on his age, he may not need a heat lamp right now. This will be something we can touch base on later when I know his age.

You want a temp gradient from 78 degrees to 72 degrees during the day. This allows him to choose what temp he is comfortable being at.

I'm attaching a link to a care sheet that I follow for my panther. Check it out and let me know what questions you have.
https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/Panther-Chameleon-Care-Guide-2023.pdf
https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/Panther-Chameleon-Care-Guide-2023.pdf

When you get a moment, will you fill out the form below? This will help make sure we don't miss anything when going over how to care for your little guy.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem -

When you get a moment, will you fill out the form below? This will help make sure we don't miss anything when going over how to care for your little guy.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem -
6 month old panther chameleon, I have had him for exactly 1 week today! I do not handle him (only once after 4 days because I needed to clean the bottom of his cage and he did not like that at all). I am feeding him 5 Dubia roaches (they are small and he seems to be really hungry) and 1 hornworm per day. I have gut loaded the dubia roaches with spring mix, sweet potato, and apple. I think the hornworms that I ordered from TC insects are already gut loaded with the smelly light brown stuff they come with but I’m not sure. I feed him in the morning around 9 when I get up. I use the misting technique and I have a humidifier. In the morning I turn on the humidifier for 20 mins and then mist the cage manually for 5 minutes. Then I turn the lights on. At night before I turn off the lights I mist for 5 minutes and I see him drink (which I heard may be a bad thing?) then I turn off the lights and turn on the humidifier for 20 mins. For his fecal droppings i think they look a bit like he’s dehydrated, I will send a picture when he poops today! I am using a live pothos plant and today I am changing him to a 2x2x4 today and getting a lot more sticks and live plants. He was in a temporary enclosure while we were waiting for this one to ship! The cage is all screen and I have it placed on a high table. He’s in my guest bedroom with the door closed and not in a high traffic area. Lastly, I live in Georgia! Oh and for supplements I have calcium without D3 and the reptile vitamins with D3!

6 month old panther chameleon, I have had him for exactly 1 week today! I do not handle him (only once after 4 days because I needed to clean the bottom of his cage and he did not like that at all). I am feeding him 5 Dubia roaches (they are small and he seems to be really hungry) and 1 hornworm per day. I have gut loaded the dubia roaches with spring mix, sweet potato, and apple. I think the hornworms that I ordered from TC insects are already gut loaded with the smelly light brown stuff they come with but I’m not sure. I feed him in the morning around 9 when I get up. I use the misting technique and I have a humidifier. In the morning I turn on the humidifier for 20 mins and then mist the cage manually for 5 minutes. Then I turn the lights on. At night before I turn off the lights I mist for 5 minutes and I see him drink (which I heard may be a bad thing?) then I turn off the lights and turn on the humidifier for 20 mins. For his fecal droppings i think they look a bit like he’s dehydrated, I will send a picture when he poops today! I am using a live pothos plant and today I am changing him to a 2x2x4 today and getting a lot more sticks and live plants. He was in a temporary enclosure while we were waiting for this one to ship! The cage is all screen and I have it placed on a high table. He’s in my guest bedroom with the door closed and not in a high traffic area. Lastly, I live in Georgia! Oh and for supplements I have calcium without D3 and the reptile vitamins with D3!
Most of this sounds pretty spot on. Could you post a photo of your lights? @elizaann2 how much should a 6 month old panther be eating?

HE IS SO PRETTY!! I would def start spam watching neptune the chameleon and chameleon academy on youtube! Its very fun and will help you will everything as chameleons can be very sensitive so i would really start studying up lol! WELCOME <3 <3

ok so I’ve gone through this. See my feedback in red.

6 month old panther chameleon, I have had him for exactly 1 week today! I do not handle him (only once after 4 days because I needed to clean the bottom of his cage and he did not like that at all). good not to handle him, but make sure that you work on building trust with him so that if you need to take him to the vet in the future or when you take him out for cleaning, it will be easier. I let my guy stay in his enclosure when I spot clean his cage. I am feeding him 5 Dubia roaches (they are small and he seems to be really hungry) and 1 hornworm per day. I believe he should be eating a bit more than this, but let’s see what @elizaann2 says. I have gut loaded the dubia roaches with spring mix, sweet potato, and apple. I think the hornworms that I ordered from TC insects are already gut loaded with the smelly light brown stuff they come with but I’m not sure. yes that is their food. No need to gut load these guys. I feed him in the morning around 9 when I get up. I use the misting technique and I have a humidifier. In the morning I turn on the humidifier for 20 mins and then mist the cage manually for 5 minutes. Then I turn the lights on. At night before I turn off the lights I mist for 5 minutes and I see him drink (which I heard may be a bad thing?) not always a bad thing. They tend to be shy drinkers though. If he is openly drinking, you may try running a dripper during the day to see if it helps with hydration. This is something that varies for everyone depending on where you live. Humidifiers, drippers, foggers and misting are all tools we can use to achieve the right humidity and hydration. It can take some playing around with to get it just right. There is no set in stone way to do it, it’s what works for you and where you live. Just monitor your humidity and his urates and adjust as needed. then I turn off the lights and turn on the humidifier for 20 mins. For his fecal droppings i think they look a bit like he’s dehydrated, I will send a picture when he poops today! I am using a live pothos plant and today I am changing him to a 2x2x4 today and getting a lot more sticks and live plants. great! Would love to see pics of the set up when it’s done! He was in a temporary enclosure while we were waiting for this one to ship! The cage is all screen and I have it placed on a high table. He’s in my guest bedroom with the door closed and not in a high traffic area. Lastly, I live in Georgia! Oh and for supplements I have calcium without D3 and the reptile vitamins with D3! sounds like you are on the right path!

Back
Top Bottom