tongue turned dark...

Lyneeso

So My female Veiled (approx 6-7 months old) has always had a very pink/red tongue. When referring to the tongue i'm not talking about the elongated part but more so the tip of it. It's always been pink/red like you would assume normal tongue color. However now for the last week or so it has been a dark muddy green color. Whats going on here???
thank you
Lyneeso:confused:

ya know how when you eat a red popsickle your mouth/tongue turns red?? could it just be green from munching on the leaves?

Grab a leaf and tear it and squeeze it between your fingers or blend a few up and stick your fingers in it - do they turn green?

(and in the case that they do, why isn't the WHOLE tongue "green"?)

Not sure, but could it be a cricket bite?

hmmm cricket bite.

well, ya know, I just fed her a cricket and the tip of the tongue is suddenly a light yellowish color the large vain at the bottom of the front of the tongue is the only dark spot. She yawned and gave me a moment to see the inside of her mouth. it all looked pretty normal as far as coloration. What i'm now curious about is whether or not anyone else has noticed a chameleons tongue fluctuating in color as suddenly as this. ???

sudden

at 10:45 am today It was still that dark muddy green color and had been the last few times in the past week or so. at about 11:30 or so I fed her a cricket and thats when she "yawned" while I was standing there. It was a light pale yellowish color at that time. As mentioned, the rest of the interior of her mouth/gums looks normal.

Why is my Chameleons tongue red at the top?

Attachments

• B1805C4E-9FDB-4A3E-8EC4-2B1302E503FD.jpeg
    B1805C4E-9FDB-4A3E-8EC4-2B1302E503FD.jpeg
    242.1 KB · Views: 82
I belief the tongue isn’t the only problem your Cham is suffering from. Do you have more and better pictures? In this picture it looks like more is happening then just a tongue issue (hopefully I’m wrong with how it looks). I think scheduling a vet appointment want be a bad thing.

In this thread you were given suggestions and asked for information...you only told us where you lived so we could suggest a vet for you...did you take him to a vet?
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/panther-chameleon.185108/

It looks like your chameleon has MBD but your photo isn't clear enough to be sure....and it looks like it's become worse since the photos in the thread I linked to above...so either you didn't take him to a vet or somehow the issue wasn't corrected. He likely bit his tongue due to the health issues. Your chameleon doesn't look like it will last long the way it is. It might have a chance if you help it ASAP....like now!

In this thread you were given suggestions and asked for information...you only told us where you lived so we could suggest a vet for you...did you take him to a vet?
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/panther-chameleon.185108/

It looks like your chameleon has MBD but your photo isn't clear enough to be sure....and it looks like it's become worse since the photos in the thread I linked to above...so either you didn't take him to a vet or somehow the issue wasn't corrected. He likely bit his tongue due to the health issues. Your chameleon doesn't look like it will last long the way it is. It might have a chance if you help it ASAP....like now!
Well, MBD was my first thought also looking had his legs. However, the picture isn’t clear enough, therefore I didn’t mentioned it directly.

I’m sorry, there is a lot wrong in this photo. Your chameleon has severe MBD, and unfortunately I have never seen one this far gone survive.

The red is likely from a cricket bite or something similar.
My Zeus died on the way to the vet. I don’t know what I did wrong

My Zeus died on the way to the vet. I don’t know what I did wrong
I’m very sorry for your loss.
While I’m certain you did everything that you believed was correct, there is so much wrong and outdated information out there about chameleon keeping which makes it confusing. While only a necropsy performed by a vet can determine why Zeus passed, from his pics he looks that he had severe metabolic bone disease. That is caused by incorrect uvb lighting and dietary supplementation. You may find your answers here. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Back
Top Bottom