terarium too big???

alexcoppola

i just orderd the reptibreez 24 24 48 for kongo hes 3 month old ambilobe and he is in about a 2 foot high enclosure but i dont like it because the front part is glass and it was just made horibly so i wanted to put him in his new home but would that be safe for such a yound cham? he has never fell or anything what do you guys think?

i just orderd the reptibreez 24 24 48 for kongo hes 3 month old ambilobe and he is in about a 2 foot high enclosure but i dont like it because the front part is glass and it was just made horibly so i wanted to put him in his new home but would that be safe for such a yound cham? he has never fell or anything what do you guys think?

A 4' tall cage could be a size too large for a 3 month old. the only way it could be a problem, is if the chameleon finds it too hard to hunt. An option to make a large cage like this work, would be to cup feed the chameleon. Cup feeding (imho) and from experience, is fairly easy with Captive Breeds. Of course, there have surely been cases of stubborn CBs.

If there is a problem cup feeding, than some keepers take cardboard or PVC panel boards to divide the cage horizontally. PVC in my opinion, would be more stable, allowing you to still use a live potted plant.

Alex I was going to find myself in the same position but the guy I wanted to put in it sold before I could get him :p

What I was going to do was put a small end table within the enclosure and rest the bottom trays on top of that, it effectivly cut out close to 2 feet of the space and my only concern was crickets getting wedge under by pushing the screen somewhat. It was sturdy and would have worked but I instead ended up getting a 6 mo. Sambava so I just took out the table and went back to my original design.

A 4' tall cage could be a size too large for a 3 month old. the only way it could be a problem, is if the chameleon finds it too hard to hunt. An option to make a large cage like this work, would be to cup feed the chameleon. Cup feeding (imho) and from experience, is fairly easy with Captive Breeds. Of course, there have surely been cases of stubborn CBs.

If there is a problem cup feeding, than some keepers take cardboard or PVC panel boards to divide the cage horizontally. PVC in my opinion, would be more stable, allowing you to still use a live potted plant.
i already use a feeder cup soo i wasnt to worryd about him not finding his food, i was more worryd about him falling from the top of the terrarium

I have raised most babies in larger cages using cup feeding and free range.

I wouldn't worry about a fall, just monitor his food intake.

Nick

along with nick, i wouldnt at all worry about a fall. chameleons blow up like little balloons when they fall, and can take rediculously hudge landings like nothing. if he does however fall, or gets hurt some other way and you are concerned then. just place some nice squishy towels at the bottom.

I have the same size terrarium (23x23x48) for my 4 months old cham. We have many vines, live plants and branches all over the cage and he uses them all and has a blast with them...he does fall once in a while, especially when we spray him with water he gets hasty and tries to run away so he sometimes slips and falls..but he seems to be fine. it happened two times so far. as far as the feeding, he loves to hunt and is doing a pretty good job at it even in a cage that big.

I have a 4 month old ambanja, 2x2x4' and I just place the dubias on the screen roof when he basks, took a week for him to aggressively hunt but he free ranges just fine now and he loves the space.. as far as the week delay it may be because before I bought him he was just fed crickets and wouldn't try the dubias. He was being stubborn for me after I let him taste a superworm, that's all he would eat.

I tried to cup feed but he wasnt too interested in that lol

Back
Top Bottom