Stopped eating

So sorry for your loss.
It hurts to lose a beloved pet

Many parasites that live in the intestines/digestive tract aren't visible to the unaided eye--- and they also aren't the only types of parasites that can afflict chams.

There are parasites which reside in blood, lungs and various vital organs, as well as some types that reside beneath the skin.

Chams, like other animals, can also get cancers, including liver cancer.

Again, so sorry he has passed. :(

thanks

So sorry for your loss.
It hurts to lose a beloved pet

Many parasites that live in the intestines/digestive tract aren't visible to the unaided eye--- and they also aren't the only types of parasites that can afflict chams.

There are parasites which reside in blood, lungs and various vital organs, as well as some types that reside beneath the skin.

Chams, like other animals, can also get cancers, including liver cancer.

Again, so sorry he has passed. :(

Thanks for all your insight. And thanks for the condolences he will definitely be missed he was one of the good ones.:( He never even hissed even while trying to nurse him back to health. I think I'm going to take my pick of the litter from his babies that way in a small way I'll still have him. If I can keep them alive lost about 5 of them two was just too weak, two somehow got their tongues stuck out. and the last one died for no reason looked fat and healthy all but the dead part. This whole thing freaks me out because of that whole SIDS thing they have. Here is me keeping my fingers crossed I'm not going to say the rest are doing great the last time I did that I lost two. Sorry for the rambling just had to vent thanks for the ear.

Love sick

Sorry to open such an old thread, but what I have to say relates to this thread. I didn't want to open a new one without a good reason.

I have been racking my brain trying to figure out why my boy died. The best I can come up with is it all started when I removed him from the female. They were together since the beginning she was happy to be rid of him, but he on the other hand was quite distraught. That coupled with the fact his enclosure changed significantly, and I removed his plant for the babies. All this done at virtually the same time. Knowing how chams react to change, and given how sensitive these Jacksons are I think it was too much for him.

Those sticky gum looking things that were coming out of him after looking, and researching on line look like sperm plugs to me even though they were quite huge for a sperm plug. I don't know if it was affection or just plain old instinctual sex drive. But I think removing him from the female was the straw that broke the camel's back what do you guy's think could love killed my boy? Do chams have attachment issues??? :confused:

In the absence of a necropsy, it is impossible to say for sure.
Never having had chams who lived together, I don't know if it does happen that the males become "depressed" and ill when separated from the female.

It may be coincidental but both your male and the babies had serious health troubles in the aquarium/screen combo enclosure, so I can't help wonder if there is something in that environment which is causing illness.

In the past I've had chameleons become ill when the drainage system of the enclosure became blocked and went unnoticed for just a few days---apparently it created an ideal environment for bacteria and molds and it sure didn't take long for illness to set in.

Substrates, although far more attractive than empty space at the bottom of the enclosure, can create a similarly unhealthy environment and also pose the risk of accidental ingestion and impaction.
I know that other peoples' chams have been sickened when water and wastes accumulated beneath potted plants.
I recall that you use a CPAC machine to provide air movement but perhaps it isn't just enough to keep excessive bacterial growth/mold growth from happening.
The very experienced members of the forum who wrote the forum Resources pages believe this strongly enough to advise people to completely avoid substrates.
(Found here, for those interested in reading further https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/enclosures/ )

Maybe that has been the source of the deaths or as I said earlier, maybe it was coincidence.

Back
Top Bottom