Stopped eating

I would probably hold off on treating him until you have a fecal done. Unfortunately vets aren't always the answer. I have never treated a Jackson's for parasites, this includes many WC's I've had over the years. Only once did I suspect parasites for the demise of a Jackson's and it was a jacksonii jacksonii that had been housed in poor conditions before I got it and it was WC.

Maybe you could just take a fecal in to a more local vet and get it analyzed. At least you would know wether or not he has parasites.

Do you have pictures of his set up?

I would probably hold off on treating him until you have a fecal done. Unfortunately vets aren't always the answer. I have never treated a Jackson's for parasites, this includes many WC's I've had over the years. Only once did I suspect parasites for the demise of a Jackson's and it was a jacksonii jacksonii that had been housed in poor conditions before I got it and it was WC.

Maybe you could just take a fecal in to a more local vet and get it analyzed. At least you would know wether or not he has parasites.

Do you have pictures of his set up?

Yes the picture is on this thread, and I can't get my local Vet to give me advice nevermind do a fecal for me if that's what that is (pic on this thread as well.) If it isn't a cat, dog, or bird don't ask that's their policy. Mom and the 13 neonates are doing great don't know what his deal is he seemed to be happy and not stressed just can't figure it out one of those things. I had a veiled once that I was hand feeding went outside for 15 minutes came back in she was lying dead on the floor of the cage? Nothing in her throat must of had a heart attack? Sometimes we forget just how fragile they can be sometimes. You get some that live 8+ years, and others die for no reason.

weight up some

After forcing him to eat three crickets in the last week he has gained a gram. Now maybe I can give him some rest and peace for a while. Who knows maybe he will start eating on his own and be alright. One can only hope. :(

He pooped out two crickets that looked intact all but the head. What would cause this? trust me it's not over feeding.

How old are your uv bulbs? I would have a fecal done to rule out parasites first, any vet should be able to do that.

I would make sure his basking spot is hot enough and he has a good spot(s) to sit under it.

I took a temp of his skin when he was basking and it was about 81 degrease. Should I bump this up? I measured his vine right under the basking bulb, and it was 84 degrease. I moved his UVB bulb closer, it is measuring an .8 on the UVI meter at 11". He does seam to act like he is a little cold sometimes. He was leaning almost completely on his side today to get heat. should I move the vine a little closer to the bulb, or get a little stronger wattage bulb? :confused:

Are you 100 percent sure it was poop? It could be vomit.

No I'm not sure if fact after thinking about it they didn't look very digested at all, and that was my first assumption; but I also found some more of that gooey sticky stuff on a branch. It almost looks like he is pooping out his intestines, but that can't be it right I mean they would still be connected to his insides like a prolapse wouldn't they? He could have very well vomited it up it was there when I went to the enclosure didn't see it come out the vent like the sticky stuff. However one of those crickets was in his stomach for over two days. If so what does that mean? :confused:

Chances are, that if there is no brown to it, and no urates, and smells worse than poop, that he expelled his stomach contents. That is a red flag for parasites. It also dehydrates them really badly. You need a vet ASAP.

Also, if there is brown or black runny stuff it it, it came out of the vent like that, which is also a red flag for parasites.

Also, if there is brown or black runny stuff it it, it came out of the vent like that, which is also a red flag for parasites.

I'll get him to the Vet as soon as possible. I did finally find one closer that will do a fecal for me for $25 If I can get a fresh stool sample. At least then maybe we can hopefully know if he does have parasites. I'm almost convinced he does. I've searched and found out what the dose would be for panacur do you think it would be ok to dose him? From what I read it seems to be a pretty safe med to use. :confused:

I have been taking care of Chameleons for over 18 years, and for the first time the last four days I have suffered from salmonella poisoning from my male Jackson. I knew the possibility existed but always took precautions. Now I know that with the force feedings, and increased handling could have been a factor. This may be a stupid question but could his illness be caused from said Salmonella poisoning? Any help would be appreciated maybe from a VET? He has took a turn for the worse, and I'm not sure I can turn him around now even if I get all the right answers. :(:mad:

In over 25 years of keeping reptiles I've only ever had one autopsy indicate that a reptile I owned carried salmonella. I didn't ever get sick from any of the reptiles I had to the best of my knowledge....but I washed my hands really well after handling one and if I thought one was sick or when I cleaned out the cages thoroughly I would always wear latex/"plastic" gloves.

I don't know if it could be why your chameleon is acting that way or not....unfortunately...but I would suggest you pay attention to hygiene when working with it and ask the vet.

So so sorry for your loss. It would be nice if we could save them all. Hope you're getting over the salmonella yourself.
Do you still have the female and babies?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you lost him. You are the second person I've heard about lately that got salmonella from thier chameleons. Have you recooperated for it .

So so sorry for your loss. It would be nice if we could save them all. Hope you're getting over the salmonella yourself.
Do you still have the female and babies?

Even though I still have some grumbling in the stomach area I unlike my buddy have recovered from the salmonella, thanks for your concern. I will miss him he was really one of the good ones.

The mom, and babies are doing great, eating and drinking well especially the babies they are about to eat me out of house and home. I think it's time to switch them to crickets, and start some supplements. Any idea on how much I should start with I don't want to overdo it I know how sensitive they are to them?

Sorry to hear you lost him. You are the second person I've heard about lately that got salmonella from thier chameleons. Have you recooperated for it .

My stomach is still grumbling a little, but I have pretty much made a full recovery. It was definitely not fun though, and if you are working with a sick cham I definitely recommend cloves, and hand sanitizer. Lesson learned!
Thanks for your concern.

??

Well it wasn't fun but I did a necropsy on him because I had to know if it was a parasitic worm of some kind. to my utmost surprise that wasn't the case, at least what I could see with the naked eye. Must of been some other bacteria like Cloacitis, or a virus. Going to get me a microscope to do my own fecal exam, and for situations like this. It really sucks when you do everything right and still lose them. I couldn't see any parasites, however to my uneducated eye his liver looked larger than normal, and was brownish with black streaks through it. So maybe he had liver damage. I don't know how that happened I'm very careful not to give too much supplements. But then I don't know how much he was given at the pet store. And his intestines looked a little distended even though there was only a cricket leg, a gel like fluid, and clear liquid. Everything else looked normal based on the anatomy pics I seen on the net. This all took place close to after he passed almost wish I hadn't defiled him like that the only thing I found out for sure was it wasn't worms. But if I can learn something that can make me a better keeper than it would have definitely been worth it. If anyone has some thoughts on what you think happened. I would greatly welcome them. God I hope it wasn't something I done.

Back
Top Bottom