Small lumps growing on Panther

rico_alfie2311

Hi, my first post here as I have been a lurker for some time, I’ve had my male panther chameleon Rico for about a year and a half, he is about 2 years old now and recently he’s gotten two small growths on his body and I’ve been wondering what they are, any help is appreciated, pics attached. Thanks!
7CAFECDA-C3EC-4655-8A29-70BC570623AC.jpeg

Hi and welcome! :) Rico has some gorgeous colors! The top area looks almost exactly like what my girl Stella had and biopsy showed it to be a papilloma. It was tiny so the whole thing was removed for the biopsy, but it has partially grown back, but not grown larger. I can’t see the lower area very clearly but would guess it’s maybe the same. Papillomas are basically just warty growths, but they can be transmitted to other reptiles. I don’t really take any special measures other than hand washing after handling my girl or anything in her enclosure and I will tend to her last. Everyone has their own feeding stations and cups also. My tongs only touch the feeders, so I use the same ones for all. Although it almost never happens, if there are any uneaten feeders, they get tossed outside for the wild anoles and birds rather than back in the bins.
Papillomas are a virus and can be dormant in an animal all of their life and never show up on them. Sometimes they will show for whatever it is that triggers them…maybe stress? Unless they are growing in a bad place, like by the eyes, nose or mouth, they won’t cause any problems.
Now, after saying all of that, I am not a vet and am only sharing my experience and knowledge. To confirm that it is indeed a papilloma, you would need to see your vet and have a biopsy done. It was not ridiculously expensive for me and the only after effects are I have to be mindful and sometimes ‘help’ my girl to loosen the stuck shed over her little scar spot.

Back
Top Bottom