Sleep now, my sweet Grumpy

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
This is hard to post, but I pray it may have some therapeutic benefit in my grief.
Yesterday morning I had to send my beautiful Grumpy off to her eternal rest. She was such a strong girl and tried hard to fight, but in the end the bloat became just too much for her. I hope I succeeded in making her last days and weeks comfortable. She was so very special to me and her loss leaves a big hole in my heart. I’m fond of the idea that she’s got a beautiful tree in Heaven all to herself and hissing at anyone passing by as she’s enjoying the all you can eat bug buffet.
Four years ago, this is the first pic I took of the alien green creature that I obtained when stepdaughter no longer wanted it. I knew less than nothing - didn’t even know gender or species much less husbandry. As with all creatures that enter my home though, I vowed to give it the very best life I could..
20190603_155041.jpeg

Google told me that I had a female Yemen, or veiled chameleon and she could eat crickets. I couldn’t find out how many, so pretty girl quickly filled out on the literal dozens of crickets I was giving her twice a day. This was 3 weeks after getting her. Getting chubby!
20190620_215039.jpeg

Most Google searches led me to a chameleon forum. Being a natural introvert, I made my account but just lurked. I’m a middle aged woman and don’t need to invite any ridicule from ‘the cool kids’ or young jerky guys. I used the name I had planned for my girl…Miss Skittles. That name never did fit her well, so she simply became Grumpy. She was full of personality and I was quickly falling in love with her.
20190707_105042.jpeg

As I was learning quickly, my Grumpy lady was getting lots of husbandry improvements and was thriving. It wasn’t long until she developed her gorgeous big girl colors. By this time I realized the chameleon forum was actually a good place with good people and meekly started posting here and there.
IMG_0264.jpeg

She was always amazing me with her beauty. I couldn’t believe I could love a lizard so very much.
IMG_0299.jpeg

I’d always find her doing silly little things. My favorite is when her back legs would just be hanging in the air as she’s be using her tail to hold her back end. I was never quick enough to catch a good pic.
IMG_0347.jpeg

Always looking distrustful of me, but starting to learn I was the provider of food and therefore kind of ok. The forum blog on how to build trust was soo helpful. I was starting to feel comfortable in offering a small bit of help on the forum about the things I knew.
IMG_0471.jpeg

As she got her much larger enclosure and new decor, she enjoyed looking down upon her servant. Look at how long those claws are! Yikes! She was always careful and never dug them into me though. Such a sweet girl.
IMG_0505.jpeg

It was hard to tell when she was gravid as she never turned black like all the pics I’d seen. Instead, just her dots would darken.
IMG_0539.jpeg

Always watching from a safe distance and unbelievably cute.
IMG_0840.jpeg

My heart goes out to you. I’m the short time I’ve been here, I can tell that you are such a loving and caring person. I have no doubt that Grumpy lived her best life with you ❤️

What a lovely tribute to her and what a lucky chameleon she was to have had you to look after her! I’m sure she couldn’t have had a better life!

I know you will keep her in your heart! Somehow they get stuck in our hearts. Hugs.

By this time, I had gotten Stella and having realized how amazing reptiles are, had gotten some leopard geckos. Grumpy was a gateway reptile. 😂
Strange how clearly we recall certain things. I started to freak out…what had happened to my girl’s mouth?! Ohhh…she had bit off a hibiscus bud. Phew!
IMG_0922.jpeg

Always a gymnast.
IMG_1894.jpeg

I tried to respect that she wanted nothing to do with being touched, but at least once a week would reinforce that it was ok to be held and I could be trusted. She hasn’t laid any eggs in quite a while and her pretty colors were becoming dull and muted.
IMG_2136.jpeg

Always my little sweet beauty.
IMG_3035.jpeg

Never trusted me 100%, but close enough. I believe by this time my chameleon family now included Hammlet and Jack, but Grumpy is always my main girl, my #1.
IMG_3460.jpeg

That face! Those eyes! Those lips! At least the last thing the feeder bugs see is pretty.
IMG_3462.jpeg

Two and 1/2 years since producing eggs and all pretty colors are gone. I don’t think she even got receptive ever either. Still stunning and in charge of my heart though.
IMG_3618.jpeg

Still loaded with her silly personality and makes me smile every single day. Lord, how I love this girl!
IMG_3779.jpeg

After a health scare, my little Angel seemed to have recovered and was looking and acting healthy again.
IMG_4077.jpeg

Even her food fell in love with her and wanted to kiss her.
IMG_4409.jpeg

I can’t even begin to imagine what my life would be like had my amazing girl never come into my life. She came along at the perfect time. I had been just 6 months distant from ending my marriage and was trying to rediscover who I am. Grumpy opened doors for me that I didn’t know existed and expanded my world. She helped me to be a better person. She helped me to come out of my shell a little bit and discover how much I do enjoy being able to help people. I’ve met people that know more about who I really am than my family and made wonderful friends. I truly hope that there are a good number of chameleons being healthy and enjoyed by their keepers due to the help I gave and that Grumpy is ultimately responsible for.
As I was mourning what I knew was coming and soon, I was browsing Etsy and a very familiar chameleon popped up on a coffee mug. My beautiful Grumpy as she was painted by Rebecca Wang on not just the mug, but a whole mess of various items for people to buy and enjoy! I can’t begin to describe how wonderful it is that countless people may be enjoying and appreciating Grumpy on their stuff. She’s been immortalized! I can’t think of anything better to honor her.
Thank you for staying with me through all of this to the end. After weeks of my mind being obsessed with worry for Grumpy, I now find myself utterly exhausted and wanting only to sleep. Go and appreciate your chameleons and think about just how much they mean to you and give them all a special treat from Grumpy. 💗

Last edited:
So sad to see this and all the loss you have suffered recently. You are truly an inspiration to the community, so caring and compassionate. It’s hard to articulate condolences because sometimes words just aren’t enough. Sending big hugs and love to you Vikki!! Rest In Peace sweet Grumpy. ❤️❤️

My heart goes out to you. I’m the short time I’ve been here, I can tell that you are such a loving and caring person. I have no doubt that Grumpy lived her best life with you ❤️
Thank you for your kind words. 🥰
What a lovely tribute to her and what a lucky chameleon she was to have had you to look after her! I’m sure she couldn’t have had a better life!

I know you will keep her in your heart! Somehow they get stuck in our hearts. Hugs.
Thank you Lynda. It was so much of your teaching that enabled my lovely girl to have her best life. 💗
So sad to see this and all the loss you have suffered recently. You are truly an inspiration to the community, so caring and compassionate. It’s hard to articulate condolences because sometimes words just aren’t enough. Sending big hugs and love to you Vikki!! Rest In Peace sweet Grumpy. ❤️❤️
Thank you Jan. Hugs received. 💗I’m not sure I would have been able to get through all of the loss without our community. We have something very special here. 🥰

I’m glad my “teaching” helped! You’d think after over 30 years with chameleons in my life I’d have all the answers…but I never will. There’s always more to learn.

I was just reading this beautiful and heartbreaking testament of pure love. I'm so sorry Vicki, that she moved on too fast. I can feel you pain and sorrow thru your words. Your babies will always be in your heart and their memory kept safe inthere as well, im absolutely sure she lived her perfect life because she was with you. I hope that little Bart will help you turn the pain into beautiful smiles for remembered times with your special grumpy.

I was just reading this beautiful and heartbreaking testament of pure love. I'm so sorry Vicki, that she moved on too fast. I can feel you pain and sorrow thru your words. Your babies will always be in your heart and their memory kept safe inthere as well, im absolutely sure she lived her perfect life because she was with you. I hope that little Bart will help you turn the pain into beautiful smiles for remembered times with your special grumpy.
Thank you Camilla for your kind words and helping to bring healing by entrusting me with your precious little one. 🥰 💗

Back
Top Bottom