Laying eggs… help?

Ok. And water everyday?

Is that not starving her and reducing her supplement intake?

Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question.
Water every day! You want the urates to be whitish…but not 100% white.

You will still dust at every feeding with a phos. free calcium powder and twice a month with a vitamin supplement that contains a source of D3 and preformed vitamin A…lightly on all insects. We’re trying to balance the nutrients in the crickets and other insects to make up for what they lack from their wild diet…so each is still balanced as much as we can, doing this. It’s also impo to feed/gut load the insects with good greens, veggies, etc too, of course.

No stupid questions!

And if I feed her every other day, it’s not starving her?

I guess I need to wrap my head around reptiles can’t be compared to a dogs or other animal.

I’ve followed what I’ve learned from @kinyonga and have fed my girls (and boys too) 3-4 feeders, 3 days a week (plus treats of course). One of my veiled girls hadn’t laid any eggs in 3 years and my other has laid one clutch once a year. My panther girl has never laid eggs and she’s not quite 2 1/2 years old. Every feeding is lightly dusted with phosphorus-free calcium except for the one feeding every other week in which I use Repashy Calcium plus LoD. I do give regular treats on the weekend that they go two days without being fed…usually is either a treat feeder or an extra staple feeder (depending what I have). I felt the same as you when I first started limiting my girls’ food…felt like I was starving or depriving them. This is my girl Stella…my little tree pig. She is definitely not starving. She actually skipped this year’s egg laying and in a few months will have gone two years without laying.
IMG_5310.jpeg

I’ve followed what I’ve learned from @kinyonga and have fed my girls (and boys too) 3-4 feeders, 3 days a week (plus treats of course). One of my veiled girls hadn’t laid any eggs in 3 years and my other has laid one clutch once a year. My panther girl has never laid eggs and she’s not quite 2 1/2 years old. Every feeding is lightly dusted with phosphorus-free calcium except for the one feeding every other week in which I use Repashy Calcium plus LoD. I do give regular treats on the weekend that they go two days without being fed…usually is either a treat feeder or an extra staple feeder (depending what I have). I felt the same as you when I first started limiting my girls’ food…felt like I was starving or depriving them. This is my girl Stella…my little tree pig. She is definitely not starving. She actually skipped this year’s egg laying and in a few months will have gone two years without laying.
View attachment 347384Shes beautiful!

I’m definitely not opposed to the schedule. Just very questionable about it. I’ll start with every other day and move her to 3 times a day. I’m currently only doing crickets, so I’ll definitely be venturing out to other items for her. I did bsfl for a bit, but they die too easily on me in the fridge.

Shes beautiful! Thank you! 🥰 I’m definitely not opposed to the schedule. Just very questionable about it. I’ll start with every other day and move her to 3 times a day. I eased into it over time, which I thought was kinder. I still do feel kind of bad for them. They get all excited and run down to their feeding station and then after 3 tongue zaps, that’s all. 🥺 So I give smaller feeders and more of them. They are getting the equivalent amount but it takes them longer and to my human mind, they should be thinking that they are getting more. I’m currently only doing crickets, so I’ll definitely be venturing out to other items for her. Yes! Giving you the graphic if that helps. My main staples are crickets and roaches, but I always have at least another staple feeder and I mix things up as much as I can. I also look for ways to make their food more stimulating. Let some bsfl pupate into flying treats she has to hunt down. Mine love that! Get extra silkworms and let them cocoon and turn into moths. They don’t fly, but they do flap their wings and are always welcome by my chams. I did bsfl for a bit, but they die too easily on me in the fridge. I keep mine at room temp in some soil that I keep slightly damp. Every few days I feed them. About a month ago I bought a container of them that I still have.
Many venders sell variety packs that I think are great for those with just one or two chams. Check the forum sponsors like Rainbowmealworms.com and Dubiaroaches.com
IMG_0151.jpeg

Same here, I’m following the same dieet with my girl and lays every 3-4 months her eggs ( around 20) and is now healthy and well 3+ years old.

MissSkittles said…”I eased into it over time, which I thought was kinder. I still do feel kind of bad for them. They get all excited and run down to their feeding station and then after 3 tongue zaps, that’s all. 🥺 So I give smaller feeders and more of them. They are getting the equivalent amount but it takes them longer and to my human mind, they should be thinking that they are getting more”… this is what I did too…more smaller insects.

I’m so glad people are posting that the females are living longer with this method so I know the results from other people than my own experiences!! Most of my female veileds live to be 6 or 7 years old and many produce no eggs at all…and they can be “turned back on” to reproduce if you want to mate them!

thank you all for the advise! I currently have her on 2 crickets a day to start, and will move her to 3 every other day. She seems to be doing ok, but I can tell she’s mad at me since she doesn’t want to come out of her enclosure when I open the door.

I’ve noticed since she laid her eggs, she’s not peeing/pooping. Is that normal? Can this be cause I’ve reduced her feedings?

She is acting normal tho. She moves around her enclosure and is basking. When she sees food she runs down.

I’ve noticed since she laid her eggs, she’s not peeing/pooping. Is that normal? Can this be cause I’ve reduced her feedings?
My girl always needs 1.5 till 2 weeks after she laid her eggs to poop again. And idem for her second poop. Then it goes back to normal, every 4-5 days. I think all her organs need to reorganize themself before being completely functional.

Back
Top Bottom