Sweet Grumpy again.

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
I’ve debated about whether or not to share about my sweet sweet girl, Grumpy. The end of May was our 4 year chamiversary, but it just wasn’t a celebratory mood. My little girl hasn’t been doing well.
Some of you may recall that she had some unknown sickness last year. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/sweet-grumpy.186732/ After a couple of weeks of antibiotics, she was good again. However, ever since then, she’s very slowly been gaining weight. A few months ago she exceeded her largest weight, but wasn’t looking to be gravid and wasn’t fat…just bloated. Everything with her seemed normal and good and I needed to focus my attentions on getting my boys better. In early May I felt I needed to get her checked out…she was starting to look a bit thin beneath the bloating. Since it was a double visit with Jack, resources were limited and I could only afford an x ray. It showed follicles and I was told to prepare for her to lay in the next month or so. I had doubts about Grumpy just having follicles, but denial was convenient at the time. Then it became such that I couldn’t stay in denial…she was starting to have problems moving and eating because of the bloat and her muscle wasting was showing…beneath the bloat she’s become way too thin. I decided to get a different vet‘s opinion. Labs were taken and an injectable antibiotic was started (Fortaz for those wondering). It just about broke me when I gave her the first injection. Over my almost 3 decades as a nurse I’ve given countless injections, but nothing could prepare me for this. She has zero muscle in her little arms. Since the vet visit, she had started to decline…started falling, not eating at all and I suspected not drinking. I was force feeding and hydrating. Then the vet called with the lab results and it was very grim. All of the results led the vet to believe that my beautiful sweet girl has cancer somewhere. She told me to call when ready and they’d get us in for euthanasia. This was not even two weeks after losing Jack. 😞
I decided there was no sense in continuing the antibiotic or force feeding and I’d just let my Grumpy one have peace in her last days. I never stopped offering her food and strangely, she started eating a little on her own again. She could barely move though and kept falling, so I made ‘the appointment’. A dear friend gave me a different perspective that since she is still eating, she is still fighting. I gave it a ton of thought. I know what the outcome is going to be. I know that no matter how much Grumpy eats, she’s going to continue to waste away. I know I’ll only be delaying the inevitable and buying time. I know I don’t want my girl to suffer at all. I know she’s reached a decent age of around 4 1/2 to 5. So I cancelled the appointment. I pulled out the smaller enclosure I have and set it up in a way to try and prevent Grumpy from falling. I pulled all the plant leaves as close as possible to shade her when she needs and have her drinking opportunities a short distance away. I hung a bearded dragon hammock below to catch her if she fell. I’m using small shallow cups to offer her feeders. It’s all working. She’s only able to take a couple of feeders at a time, so I have to offer her more a few times a day. She finally passed a urate and it’s white. After a few modifications, she has stopped falling and is able to move around a little more on her platform. I’m not sure what good it will really do, but I‘m giving her the antibiotic and praying for a miracle.
She’s a very strong lady and isn’t done fighting yet and I have to respect that. When she stops eating or drinking, I won’t be forcing it. If she starts showing any signs that she’s distressed, I won’t let her suffer.
This is where we are. I’m not going to lie…it’s been absolutely miserable losing both of my boys so close together and now my OG girl. That’s where having the love and support from some of the forum chamily has kept me as sane as possible. @Beman @jannb @kinyonga @Sonny13 I don’t know how on earth I’d be getting thru any of this without you and there aren’t words to express the depth of my gratitude. This forum is a very special place and full of very special people.
I don’t know if sharing this long story will help anyone. I do believe that my girl does have cancer somewhere and it was something I suspected before the vet visit. I’m not able to pursue finding out where it is or what kind of cancer and I would be very reluctant to put Grumpy thru any of that even if I could. I suspect leukemia. It’s almost unbelievable to have 3 chameleons all get fatally sick in less than 6 months and I’ve questioned my husbandry over and over but find nothing. I guess it’s true that trouble travels in threes.

PS Thankfully, Stella and Kali are both thriving and very healthy and content.

I’m so sorry this is happening to you again! Thank you for sharing your experiences for any of us other members to learn and keep an eye out for in our own baby’s. I wish you all the luck with sweet grumpy and what ever happens, I’m positive you have helped the best you can a given her such an amazing life. I’m sure she has been super happy in your care.

Wishing all the luck and strength for both you and her to get through this.

I’ve debated about whether or not to share about my sweet sweet girl, Grumpy. The end of May was our 4 year chamiversary, but it just wasn’t a celebratory mood. My little girl hasn’t been doing well.
Some of you may recall that she had some unknown sickness last year. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/sweet-grumpy.186732/ After a couple of weeks of antibiotics, she was good again. However, ever since then, she’s very slowly been gaining weight. A few months ago she exceeded her largest weight, but wasn’t looking to be gravid and wasn’t fat…just bloated. Everything with her seemed normal and good and I needed to focus my attentions on getting my boys better. In early May I felt I needed to get her checked out…she was starting to look a bit thin beneath the bloating. Since it was a double visit with Jack, resources were limited and I could only afford an x ray. It showed follicles and I was told to prepare for her to lay in the next month or so. I had doubts about Grumpy just having follicles, but denial was convenient at the time. Then it became such that I couldn’t stay in denial…she was starting to have problems moving and eating because of the bloat and her muscle wasting was showing…beneath the bloat she’s become way too thin. I decided to get a different vet‘s opinion. Labs were taken and an injectable antibiotic was started (Fortaz for those wondering). It just about broke me when I gave her the first injection. Over my almost 3 decades as a nurse I’ve given countless injections, but nothing could prepare me for this. She has zero muscle in her little arms. Since the vet visit, she had started to decline…started falling, not eating at all and I suspected not drinking. I was force feeding and hydrating. Then the vet called with the lab results and it was very grim. All of the results led the vet to believe that my beautiful sweet girl has cancer somewhere. She told me to call when ready and they’d get us in for euthanasia. This was not even two weeks after losing Jack. 😞
I decided there was no sense in continuing the antibiotic or force feeding and I’d just let my Grumpy one have peace in her last days. I never stopped offering her food and strangely, she started eating a little on her own again. She could barely move though and kept falling, so I made ‘the appointment’. A dear friend gave me a different perspective that since she is still eating, she is still fighting. I gave it a ton of thought. I know what the outcome is going to be. I know that no matter how much Grumpy eats, she’s going to continue to waste away. I know I’ll only be delaying the inevitable and buying time. I know I don’t want my girl to suffer at all. I know she’s reached a decent age of around 4 1/2 to 5. So I cancelled the appointment. I pulled out the smaller enclosure I have and set it up in a way to try and prevent Grumpy from falling. I pulled all the plant leaves as close as possible to shade her when she needs and have her drinking opportunities a short distance away. I hung a bearded dragon hammock below to catch her if she fell. I’m using small shallow cups to offer her feeders. It’s all working. She’s only able to take a couple of feeders at a time, so I have to offer her more a few times a day. She finally passed a urate and it’s white. After a few modifications, she has stopped falling and is able to move around a little more on her platform. I’m not sure what good it will really do, but I‘m giving her the antibiotic and praying for a miracle.
She’s a very strong lady and isn’t done fighting yet and I have to respect that. When she stops eating or drinking, I won’t be forcing it. If she starts showing any signs that she’s distressed, I won’t let her suffer.
This is where we are. I’m not going to lie…it’s been absolutely miserable losing both of my boys so close together and now my OG girl. That’s where having the love and support from some of the forum chamily has kept me as sane as possible. @Beman @jannb @kinyonga @Sonny13 I don’t know how on earth I’d be getting thru any of this without you and there aren’t words to express the depth of my gratitude. This forum is a very special place and full of very special people.
I don’t know if sharing this long story will help anyone. I do believe that my girl does have cancer somewhere and it was something I suspected before the vet visit. I’m not able to pursue finding out where it is or what kind of cancer and I would be very reluctant to put Grumpy thru any of that even if I could. I suspect leukemia. It’s almost unbelievable to have 3 chameleons all get fatally sick in less than 6 months and I’ve questioned my husbandry over and over but find nothing. I guess it’s true that trouble travels in threes.

Thank you so much for your story. Praying for Grumpy and that things can go as well as possible. It's wonderful to see her fighting, and for you to be handling the reality so maturely. You've been an absolute BOON to me on this forum, and countless others. To know you've been struggling with all this while helping so very many people solidifies my belief that you're a wonderful person. Keep being amazing, and I'll keep Grumpy and you and the chamily (I LOVE that!) here in my prayers. :) <3

P.S. I WISH there was a "care" or a "heart" sort of react option here because I'd have done that with your post. But heart-eyes just doesn't quite seem appropriate...

I’m keeping you and your sweet grumpy in my thoughts and prayers 💚

You said…”I don’t know if sharing this long story will help anyone”…these stories always help in some way. They show how strong the will to live seems to be in chameleons. They often teach us more about the illnesses that they can have and can give others a heads up on what to watch for.

You've given her a good life and I would do what you are doing….let her live until her quality of life says it’s enough…then help her with the end.

Sending you hugs and courage to the end of this.
Grumpy, go gently when you’re ready.

I’m so very sorry missskittles!! I’ve been through this and it’s so very hard! I am glad you are basically letting grumpy call the shots and youre allowing her to tell you when she’s ready to cross the rainbow bridge. I know you take the best care possible with your chams and I think it’s just a fluke that you lost both boys so close together and now grumpy is sick. My prayers are with you and grumpy!

I’m so sorry. It breaks my heart to read this. I don’t know that I have anything to say that can make you feel any better about this situation, but know that you are in my thoughts ❤️

Ah, I'm so sorry that you're going through such a a miserable and sad time. And for poor grumpy. She's lucky to have you and you're lucky to have her. ♥️

Very sad indeed, I’ve had a lot of animals put to sleep over the years and it’s always heartbreaking, after my first doby I swore I wouldn’t put myself through it again! That was 30 years ago and still I do it, it’s a tough decision when to let them go but one you have to make yourself, thing is with past experience your always hoping that the vets are wrong and things will improve, stay strong, chin up and know you have given them a good life and they have given you pleasure x

Oh MissSkittles you are still reeling from losing your boys and now this. I totally believe you made the right decision in canceling that appointment. Did the three chamily pretty much grow old together? They may be more attached to each other than we understand. you know your sweet girl better than any vet so go with your gut is the right way to handle this. She will let you know and mayget better or may pass away at home in comfort instead of terrified at a vets office. I commend you on your strength wisdom, and love for your sweetgirl. My prayers are with you both.

So sad to see this 😢😢 and thank you for sharing...taking care of a sick chameleon is one of the worst things I’ve experienced. We are not far from each other so if you ever need a physical shoulder to cry on or just help in general I’m here!! You are such an amazing member of the community and such a great keeper! Sending you love and hugs! 💕💕🤗🤗

I know this won't make you feel better, but regarding your husbandry, what you did allowed her to live long enough to acquire a disease of old age. I am pretty sure there are no chams dying of cancer in the wild, they dont live nearly long enough. Especially females!
Go easy on yourself Grumpy could not have had a better life.

I am so grateful for everyone’s kind words, support and prayers. ❤️ I’m hoping and praying for a miracle with beautiful Grumpy. Here and there I think I see the tiniest improvement…a little hiss at me, maybe her eyes aren’t as sunken as they were yesterday. Then I think I see the tiniest decline…hesitant to swallow her second bug, maybe a little harder for her to move around. I’ll keep this updated with any significant changes. I’d love nothing more to report that she took a big bite of me and drew blood. 💗

Back
Top Bottom