Repti Worms???

Minpin1985

I am getting a Panther Chameleon soon and was just wondering what you guys think of these Repti Worms I heard about as part of a staple diet for the chameleon along with crickets? The article says that they are high in calcium and don't need any dusting but what about the multi vitamin dust? Would any of you use them and use a multi vitamin dusting 2x a week or so? I am still confused about the dusting and how much to dust and not to mention how many to feed the baby chameleon and when to switch to every other day feeding! Sheesh, sorry to bother you! I am just so confused...:confused:

Hello and welcome, confused sort of goes along with chameleons. The repti worms are fine for your cham. Dusting should be plain calcium (no d3) every time you feed-- very lightly dusted. Calcium with d3 2x a month and multivitamin also 2 x a month. Hope the helps and come back with any questions you have.

Also how old is your chameleon? Then we can tell you more about how much to feed.

I wouldnt bother dusting soldier fly maggots (aka calci worms) because they are naturally reasonably high in calcium. IMHO these maggots should not form more than 10% of your chameleons diet.

A chameleon younger than 6 months old can be fed as much as it can eat within 5 minutes, 2 or 3 times a day. As your chameleon approaches adulthood (1 year or so) you will reduce the amount of prey. You could go to every other day feeding or just feed less per day. I feed my adults about 6 days a week.

As for supplement dusting, you may find this blog entry useful:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/65-supplements.html

I've seen people say the soldier fly maggots are really too small to be a substantial part of an adult veiled's diet. As a component to keep them interested, they are certainly nutritious and have an attention getting wiggle.

Back
Top Bottom