Reasons why real chams need real plants!

Thanks for the response Patrick. And thanks for this thread, it's been very helpful as I get ready for a cham. But per the last question, I guess what I'm asking is: just *how* poorly will those plants do? Obviously there are plants that make good house plants, without ideal lighting, because some plants do better than others without natural light. I just need something to provide nice climbing and hiding options, not necessarily "thrive" at the moment.

I'll likely get a bulb for plant lighting eventually, just wondering what kind of performance I can expect in the near future under what I've currently got.

Thanks again

I just learned in class today orchids will grow aerial roots to absorb moisture from the air.. I think I'm going to try to hang one inside my cham's enclosure

Vandas YES, but some, like Catalayas still need a substrate. First pic is a Vanda that I've had for almost 10 yrs. Second is one of my catalayas that grow like weeds for me. They love Tampa. I've had clones of this exact plant for over 20yrs. I actually brought them down from IL when I moved to FL in 93. If you look close you can see the small baby's tears that I recently purchased off of Amazon. I hadn't ever had a plant delivered to me thru the US mail. It actually came in pretty good shape. Working on it so I can split it into two.

Attachments

• Vanda.jpg
    Vanda.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 202
  • Catalaya.jpg
    Catalaya.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 172
Thanks for the response Patrick. And thanks for this thread, it's been very helpful as I get ready for a cham. But per the last question, I guess what I'm asking is: just *how* poorly will those plants do? Obviously there are plants that make good house plants, without ideal lighting, because some plants do better than others without natural light. I just need something to provide nice climbing and hiding options, not necessarily "thrive" at the moment.

I'll likely get a bulb for plant lighting eventually, just wondering what kind of performance I can expect in the near future under what I've currently got.

Thanks again

If you are asking for opinions on performance when compared to good lighting, I would say poor performance.

Many house plants can SURVIVE in most houses with marginal lighting, hence they are house plants. But, house plants with great lighting are more robust, grow faster, have stronger, more dense foliage and can even produce flowers that poor lighting can not (depending on the plant species).

It comes down to your personal philosophy. Im not just talking about plants either. Just getting by or thriving. Its all up to you. The plants and chameleons are 100% dependent on your decisions.

Vandas YES, but some, like Catalayas still need a substrate. First pic is a Vanda that I've had for almost 10 yrs. Second is one of my catalayas that grow like weeds for me. They love Tampa. I've had clones of this exact plant for over 20yrs. I actually brought them down from IL when I moved to FL in 93. If you look close you can see the small baby's tears that I recently purchased off of Amazon. I hadn't ever had a plant delivered to me thru the US mail. It actually came in pretty good shape. Working on it so I can split it into two.

That is an awesome looking Vanda. My chameleons love to climb on the roots in their habitats.

Orchids are one of my favorite plants. My questions is how would I hang one or what would I mount one on? I have one that is in a orchid pot with just the wood chips. Could I just cover the chips with large river rock and place pot in cage? Also, could baby tear plants be used as ground cover in my hibiscus plant pot?

OK one more question. My veiled Rebel loves to munch on his live plants. I read that pathos can be irritating. Would it be safe to put in with him? I want to make sure it will be ok for him to eat before I add to his enclosure.

Thanks

Orchid geek here :)
Depends on what kind you have but for the most part all orchids do fine when mounted. Mine are in plastic baskets (hanging with a wire hanger on a rack on the backside of my house) you can buy cheap on ebay, just search for orchid baskets and they'll come up in several different materials... Use LARGE lava rock chunks because it'll allow air to get to the roots better. If you use too dense of materials on orchids (in Cham enclosures or not) the roots will stay too wet, and start to die, then the plant is dead. When roots are exposed (like my vanda orchids) they dry out better in between, and the roots are like little sponges, once they absorb so much water they won't absorb anymore. I can literally drench my vanda orchids all day and they will never be 'over watered'. I have killed my fair share of phalaenopsis ('moth' orchids, very commonly found at the grocery stores and there is a pink one in the bottom of the terrarium picture) because I kept them too wet, hence why I like vandas.... You can also get pretty driftwood pieces and use something soft (I use panty hose pulled tight) to gently tie the orchid onto until it's roots take over.
You have to be careful with water sitting in the crowns of the plants for too long, it'll cause crown rot and the plant is pretty much doomed. Some of the 'strap leaf' style orchids in the picture above are tolerable to abuse, and do very well in baskets and high humidity (I have 23 vanda orchids, 42 total orchids) not sure how you would hang them in a enclosure, as I have no experience from building one... Yet.. I wish I could put more pictures of my orchids up on my member gallery here but I'm just about maxed out! ;)

That is an awesome looking Vanda. My chameleons love to climb on the roots in their habitats.

I can't wait to get my enclosure all totally kickin. This vanda puts out some nice yellow flowers about 3" across. I'm going to be more than happy to see him munch on them if he wants. I get joy in seeing them bloom a couple times a month, why can't my chameleon also get some pleasure out of them? There are two or three very large roots starting to come out. Something already about as big as round as your pinky. Can't wait till they're 3' long. :D

Here's just one of mine, Roberts Delight 'tor blue'. You can get beautiful vandas from my favorite grower back home (leesburg Florida) called Goodwin Orchids. I have seedlings up to full grown. Vandas are my absolute favorite of the orchids.

I love chams but now yall are making my orchid obsession come out in the public!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 253
Here's just one of mine, Roberts Delight 'tor blue'. You can get beautiful vandas from my favorite grower back home (leesburg Florida) called Goodwin Orchids. I have seedlings up to full grown. Vandas are my absolute favorite of the orchids.

I love chams but now yall are making my orchid obsession come out in the public!

Wow they look great. Do you bring them all inside in the winter? Doesn't it get pretty chilly up there in the carolina's?

LOVE IT! My kind of Gal. I have two types of Blue Vanda and they wonderful orchids.

Wow they look great. Do you bring them all inside in the winter? Doesn't it get pretty chilly up there in the carolina's?

Hehe, yep. They hang on their own shower curtain rod, and I specifically bought the shower head with the hose so I can water them. Pull the shower curtain close and water away, lol! It can get cold here, down into the teens and I've seen it snow a few times (I'm a Floridian and have lived here since '09). But I don't mess with bringing the orchids inside until temps hit the mid 40's.
Currently, I have 2 blooming now, 2 more getting ready to pop open any day, and 2 more still growing spikes.
I have a metal rack in the kitchen for the 'babies' equipped with their lights and fans. Oh, I also have some in my kitchen window too. I have phalaenopsis, catteleyas, vandas, dendrobiums, a jewel, and various crosses.
When I get a chameleon, he'll have a huge rack outside to lounge on, because I already lounge out there admiring the flowers. Check out my gallery pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 213
Hehe, yep. They hang on their own shower curtain rod, and I specifically bought the shower head with the hose so I can water them. Pull the shower curtain close and water away, lol! It can get cold here, down into the teens and I've seen it snow a few times (I'm a Floridian and have lived here since '09). But I don't mess with bringing the orchids inside until temps hit the mid 40's.
Currently, I have 2 blooming now, 2 more getting ready to pop open any day, and 2 more still growing spikes.
I have a metal rack in the kitchen for the 'babies' equipped with their lights and fans. Oh, I also have some in my kitchen window too. I have phalaenopsis, catteleyas, vandas, dendrobiums, a jewel, and various crosses.
When I get a chameleon, he'll have a huge rack outside to lounge on, because I already lounge out there admiring the flowers. Check out my gallery pics.

Seriously! You win.
grumpycham_zps566954d7.jpg

Orchids are one of my favorite plants. My questions is how would I hang one or what would I mount one on? I have one that is in a orchid pot with just the wood chips. Could I just cover the chips with large river rock and place pot in cage? Also, could baby tear plants be used as ground cover in my hibiscus plant pot?
Attached are a couple of good options for hanging and mounting pots. i've used both. the clips are cool. you just pop a screw thru them and the pot kind of wedges in there. the hangers, well self explained.

They say that baby's tears are "invasive", and will take over. I like the sound of that for exactly what your thinking with you hibiscus.

Attachments

• supports-pot-klips_LRG.jpg
    supports-pot-klips_LRG.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 151
  • pot-hanger-on-pot-300.jpg
    pot-hanger-on-pot-300.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 155

WOW!!!!!!! I'm with Patrick. You definitely win. That's awesome. So I guess your guest's use your bathroom in the winter months? :confused:

WOW!!!!!!! I'm with Patrick. You definitely win. That's awesome. So I guess your guest's use your bathroom in the winter months? :confused:

They gotta go out behind the shed, lol just kidding. We don't get visitors really, but this winter his momma will be staying with me on the weekends that the boys will be off hunting in Kentucky. So I don't know if I want to put them in their bathroom and just have her use our bathroom or not..
When we lived in a 1/1 apartment, it totally sucked!

Can't believe I bought a live plant for my chameleon, but I did. Got an umbrella plant. My chameleon uses the fake vines/plants during the day to roam around the cage and hunt, however when it comes down to going to sleep every night, he hunkers down in the live umbrella plant every night. No fail. Glad I got one.

Can't believe I bought a live plant for my chameleon, but I did. Got an umbrella plant. My chameleon uses the fake vines/plants during the day to roam around the cage and hunt, however when it comes down to going to sleep every night, he hunkers down in the live umbrella plant every night. No fail. Glad I got one.

And won't be your last. ;) I addition to the fun of taking care of your cham, you are going to enjoy the challenge of having the live plants in there with um.

Back
Top Bottom