Question for Misting System Owners

I want to set up a heating system as well. I don't like to shortcut, but it seems like just having a submersible heater inside the bucket would be the simplest way, no?

Summoner,

Pipe taps are for metal which is the wrong thread for the white plastic fitting we thread into each end of the heater. I bought a 1/4 inch tap at a local hardware store, Home Depot did not have regular (single) 1/4 inch taps you could buy. It was about $7.00. Just take the white fitting in with you, so they can get you the right 1/4 inch tap.

Are you filling your reserve tank by hand in the AM, or is it automatic via timer and plumbing to your house hot water?:rolleyes:

Hope this helps. :D

LOL yes there is a different between 1/4" NPT taps and 1/4" bolt taps.

Sorta like a white Nissan is different than a white Honda?

I thought you mean there was a difference between the different pipe thread taps... Pipe threads on gas lines and some water plumbinng pipes have a tapered thread so that the fitting gets tighter as you screw the two parts together. I am unsure if you can buy a tap like that at home depot...

Just remember to buy NPT taps not bolt taps.

To answer my own question, I guess if we add a dip-in-water heater, when the water level in the tank goes down, the heater will be exposed and that is not good.

Also, the heater will be heating the water all day long...

Hmmmm....

To answer my own question, I guess if we add a dip-in-water heater, when the water level in the tank goes down, the heater will be exposed and that is not good.

Also, the heater will be heating the water all day long...

Hmmmm....

You can buy heaters that sit on the bottom of the tub your using... as long as you don't let the water level get below 2" or so you should be ok.

Ohhh... I will look for that!!! So you think that this is a better solution than the in-line heater?

Or should I go with the in-line heater?

Or yet something different?

Thanks for the help!

Something like this?

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 215
That can work but it won't heat the water all that well... just keep it warm. If you used that to warm the water prio to entering an inline heater such as the one seen in the thread, I think you would have better results.

Got it!

Well, I will order and install the in-line and see how that works...

Dr.Foster & Smith are having a sale on those in-lines...

Got it!

Well, I will order and install the in-line and see how that works...

Dr.Foster & Smith are having a sale on those in-lines...

That is a fairly common price if you search around... but if you like those guys, definitely worth buying from them since the price is now reasonable.

Link

They were on backorder for th 300 W so I got the 200... Shoul be good since I only have one cage...

So I installed the Hydor 200W today. It takes about 3 to feel the difference in temperature. And it is not super worm... it is just not cold.

I guess it is better than nothing.

Since I was at it, I ran a line from a water pipe to the 5 gal reservoir and added a valve. So now I don't need to walk around with that bucket...

And to top it off, I eliminated the drip in bucket and ran a line from the bottom of the cage directly to the drain. Yeap, no more going around emptying that bucket as well...

I just finished about half hour before the lights were going off, so I will see how all works out tomorrow. I will take some pics and post for those interested.

I know this is an old thread but I have to ask a couple of questions. I just purchased the 300 watt in line heater for my mist king. My questions are. When setting up the heater does it need to be between the water resevoir and the zip drip valve? Or does it need to be in between the zip drip valve and the line running to the misting nozzle?

Also on the temperature dial what do you all have it set too?

I will be using this for a male veiled cham (6 months) old with a Mist king Ultimate set up. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

I know this is an old thread but I have to ask a couple of questions. I just purchased the 300 watt in line heater for my mist king. My questions are. When setting up the heater does it need to be between the water resevoir and the zip drip valve? Or does it need to be in between the zip drip valve and the line running to the misting nozzle?

Also on the temperature dial what do you all have it set too?

I will be using this for a male veiled cham (6 months) old with a Mist king Ultimate set up. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

I'm curious as well (bump).

Thanks

I no longer use it but what I would do it put it after the zip. You don't want it on all the time as it will melt the hoses.

You want the heater to turn on 10 min before and turn off right after the misting. I turn it up to the highest setting and use it with its own timer .

Ryan,,
when using the inline heater, did you have any algae issues in your water reservoir or the tubing running from it to the mist nozzle?

thanks,, lisa

i was thinking about doing this or placing a low wattage heater in the reservoir, but am worried about algae growth and the chameleons health....

Ryan,,
when using the inline heater, did you have any algae issues in your water reservoir or the tubing running from it to the mist nozzle?

thanks,, lisa

i was thinking about doing this or placing a low wattage heater in the reservoir, but am worried about algae growth and the chameleons health....

I wouldn't warm the tank... Unless you clean it often.

I mist with room temp water and my Chams don't seem to mind.

I agree with summoner. I stopped using it as it became evident to me it did not matter if I used it or not. Room temp water works just fine.

In tank would be an issue unless you kept on top of it. I had no algae in the hose as a result of the warm water using the inline because the water did not stay worm long enough.

IMO - heating the misting water is overkill and in no way needed.

Here's the heater I made from a Bunn Coffee Maker to heat the misting water.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/misting-system-heater-29698/

I have no problem keeing the lines clean.

That is a pretty sweet lookin heater.

Just a reminder to those using heaters. The fittings used on most of the misting systems on the market, like Mist King and (if there are any still floating around) Herp Mist, lose pressure ratings as the temp of the fluid rises. So keep in mind that when you are pumping hot water you aren't running at full pressure.

Back
Top Bottom