please help!! cham behaviour problems

dropanuke

my female cham has lately started trying to reach the light bulbs but cant due to mesh being in the way, also she has been acting like she wants to come out and walking around the bottom of her terrarium. she is placid towards me though. she has uvb 5.0, and 60watt basking spot lamp and varied diet with dusted crickets. im hoping im paranoid and over reacting becos i care

It takes a little bit, but the forum members can help you a lot more if you fill this out:
Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Again, I'm guessing that she may try to reach the lights because she wants more heat. The other behaviors you've described make it sound like she may be gravid.

How old is she? What's the temperature under the basking light? Can you post a picture of the cage and one of the chameleon please?

my female cham has lately started trying to reach the light bulbs but cant due to mesh being in the way, also she has been acting like she wants to come out and walking around the bottom of her terrarium. she is placid towards me though. she has uvb 5.0, and 60watt basking spot lamp and varied diet with dusted crickets. im hoping im paranoid and over reacting becos i care

sounds like she wants to lay eggs?

ok stroppy

terrarium 45x45x32 semi ventilated!
repti glo bulbs: 2.0 uv light, 100w basking light!
temperature: 85º-95º!
humidity: 85º-90º!
big dripper!
11-12 hours a day of uv/heat/light!
3 mists a day!
mixed diet plus calcium dusting!
pre boiled water cooled down!
privacy! tank situated above head height!
female!
2.5 years old!
never laid eggs before!
iv had her 2 weeks!
veiled chameleon!

have i missed anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Initially you indicated a 5.0 UVB and 60watt heat bulb, but now it's a 2.0 reptiGlo and 100Watts. Could you confirm which it is? I ask not to be annoying, but because it matters. A reptiGLO 2.0 would not be good enough. Preferable would be the ReptiGlo8.0 or the ReptiSUN 5.0 linear tube. The wattage of the light bulb used for heat may be too great - it Sounds like her basking area is too hot.

Humidity is too high. What are you using to measure heat and humidity?

What specifially do you feed her and how much? What specifically do you use for gutloading? What brand of supplements are you using?

With that heat, and if you are feeding her well, Its possible that she is going to lay eggs. Do you have a suitable laying bin in the cage with her?

Can you post a couple pictures of her and her set-up?

Is the terrarium 45x45x32cm or 45x45x32inches?

Last edited:
Also after one year of age and without a male it is a good idea to always have a laying bin available in the cage JIC.

dropanuke said:
inches. what i meant isi have all the bulbs i mentioned but use the 100watt and reti 2.0. if shes hot wouldnt she just climb lower? should i change to the 60watt basking light? and get a new uv bulb? crickets eat carrot, potatoe, as she does too along with dandelion leaves clean. calcium dust is repashy superfoods. i have videos on utube under my name dropanuke, her cage is not a problem.

(the above is from a PM the OP sent me in response to my Q's in this thread)

You said in your initial post "...walking around the bottom of her terrarium" so this suggests that she is perhaps attempting to get away from the heat and/or is looking to lay eggs soon.
The current 85º-95º is too hot, so yes changing to the lower watt basking lamp sounds like a good plan. You'll want to keep a good watch on the temperature of the basking area and the cooler area, using a quality digital guage, and try to get both to a better range.

as well, Deal with the humidity issue and Switch to an appropriate UVB bulb.

Carrot and dandelion are good for gutloading, but potatoe isnt. Try adding Squash, collards, papaya, mustard greens, spirulina, ....

hun73r...IMHO its important that once the female is sexually mature (usually before they are a year old) they need an appropriate place in the cage to dig to show you when they are ready to lay eggs. If you don't provide them with a place and you miss the usually subtle signs that they need to lay they can become eggbound.

dropanuke...you mentioned providing calcium....do you provide any D3?? This is only a guess, but if you are only using a 2.0 UVB light and not using any D3 your female might not be getting/producing enough D3 to use the calcium.

Back
Top Bottom