Plant growth CFL's bulbs

Yeah you'd be fine using the majority of compact fluorescent full spectrum bulbs from your local hardware store just find the biggest and brightest haha ;)

Usually it will have 26w is equivalent to a 100w standard bulb etc. you can get them cheaper than that at most hardware stores or walmarts

I would not buy that bulb online because you don't know the color temperature. As WhatCamo said, you can get them way cheaper at walmart/home depot anyway ($10 is kinda pricy).

Just buy the one that is closest to 6500K ("daylight").

As for how "much" light, it depends on how much plant life you have as well. A single bulb combined with your UV and basking bulbs should give a good amount of light to start though

I would not buy that bulb online because you don't know the color temperature. As WhatCamo said, you can get them way cheaper at walmart/home depot anyway ($10 is kinda pricy).

I bought it in a store already. Why shouldn't I use it if I don't know the temperature, can it be dangerous to the cham?

No sometimes evil lost gets stuck on technicalities ;) all fluorescent bulbs will grow plants just some better than others ;)

I thought CFL's were dangerous to reptiles? I've heard of some strange disease arising from their use? Does anyone remember this?

I thought CFL's were dangerous to reptiles? I've heard of some strange disease arising from their use? Does anyone remember this?

I think about 5 years ago there was a bad batch of CFLs that caused some animals to go blind.

if you just buy a 6500k light would be best and you know it will be safe because many of us use them with no ill iffects

Photo Kerato Conjunctivitis...... Your cham can still get it if you over exposure him to uvb. Once you see the symptoms and you change the bulb it will go away. This wont or shouldnt happen with plant bulbs;)

Last edited:
Photo Kerato Conjunctivitis...... Your cham can still get it you over exposure him to uvb. Once you see the symptoms and you change the bulb it will go away. This wont or shouldnt happen with plant bulbs;)

no they will be fine they put out uvb but its very little probably equivalent to a 2.0 or less

I bought it in a store already. Why shouldn't I use it if I don't know the temperature, can it be dangerous to the cham?

no, it is not dangerous.

you simply want it to be as close to 6500K as you can find for "ideal" plant growth. other color temps will work too, just not be as good.

@Draco: 5000K is ok and actually the closest I have found at my local HD. I get 6500K from my industrial lighting supplier (its also cheaper there!)

As for how "much" light, it depends on how much plant life you have as well. A single bulb combined with your UV and basking bulbs should give a good amount of light to start though
LOL ok help me. I just was told that (by store owner one of sponsers) that I would need jungle dawn 24w LED light too get deep enough in 43 inch cage to grow plants properly. Im jealous if you guys are doing on 10bucks! lol

I have feeling that im ok its because depth right?

LOL ok help me. I just was told that (by store owner one of sponsers) that I would need jungle dawn 24w LED light too get deep enough in 43 inch cage to grow plants properly. Im jealous if you guys are doing on 10bucks! lol

I have feeling that im ok its because depth right?

LED is cheaper to run as WhatCamo said, but upfront costs are way more. The $10 bulbs we are talking about are simple CFL's. You can use the CFL as well, if you prefer :)

The only real difference is upfront cost vs running cost and bulb lifetime

LED is cheaper to run as WhatCamo said, but upfront costs are way more. The $10 bulbs we are talking about are simple CFL's. You can use the CFL as well, if you prefer :)

The only real difference is upfront cost vs running cost and bulb lifetime

Also to add to what evil is talking about if you can afford the initial cost of LEDs it's better in one other way fluorescent bulbs will loose the amount of lumens per watt they put out so your fluorescent bulbs will only be half as bright at about a 6-9 months depending on what brand and quality of the light where as LEDs you'll get about 3 good years before they start loosing their intensity

Back
Top Bottom