Orange Isopods

Rottluver

I have tons of Spanish Orange Isopods. can a baby Jacksons eat these?
What about red worms? I have heard Jacksons will eat snails and slugs.
I breed my own red worms for composting.

They are very pretty. I almost hate to use them as feeders. the babies are very tiny and soft. Easy to keep and breed.

I have tons of Spanish Orange Isopods. can a baby Jacksons eat these?
What about red worms? I have heard Jacksons will eat snails and slugs.
I breed my own red worms for composting.

Spanish Orange Isopods are a Porcellio sp. colormorph (and faster breeding than some of the grey ones) - high in calcium and yes chameleons can eat them - obviously smaller/younger ones for baby Jacks. Can make up 20% of your chameleons diet.

I would Really like to have some of the orange ones myself

Worms are high in calcium, but there is bacteria risk.
and red worms (commonly used for compost) apparently dont taste very good

isopods are known to be high in a certian mineral, but i can not remember for the life of me:confused::confused::confused: may have been zinc?? Supposively can cause issues if fed to many. Although I never experinced any problems. Of you may already know, isopods like to live in wet, dark areas which decaying leaf liter is located. The decaying leaf litter releases toxins that they consume.

hopefully someone can come along and verify this. I discussed it years ago in another forum concerning leopard geckoss

isopods are known to be high in a certian mineral, but i can not remember for the life of me:confused::confused::confused: may have been zinc?? Supposively can cause issues if fed to many.

hopefully someone can come along and verify this. I discussed it years ago in another forum concerning leopard geckoss

Wild caught isopods are indeed heavy metal bioaccumulators. Not a problem for the isopods, but it can add up to a problem for their predators (biomagnification). This is not a problem with captive cultured terrestrial isopods.
I explain this in more detail in this blog entry (in a comment below the initial entry that is)
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-isopods-pillbugs-wood-sow-rollie-pollie.html

Last edited:
Native species are good feeders too, just breed them a few generations before you feed them off. In fact, the orange isopods are a native species. In certain populations, you will find a high percentage of high orange individuals. In other populations they are almost 100% grey with orange ones only showing up rarely.

Back
Top Bottom