My panther chameleon is very picky eater.

CryptKeeper

I’ve tried just feeding him BSFL after he stopped eating them and legit just won’t eat them even when starving and was the only option. Same happened with the Dubia roaches.

The only way I get him to eat roaches is I put some in his dish and throw some wax worms in there so he accidentally grabs the roaches too since I get big ones and place the worms on them lol.

He eats horned worms but I know that can’t be a staple and even those he’s not crazy for as much anymore but still eats them now and again. He seems to still like crickets. And occasionally super worms.

Can his staple be just crickets with the hidden roaches with wax worms the way I do it? With the occasional horned and superworms?

Also the dish I have the roaches and super worms get out of pretty easy. I find them on the bottom especially the roaches burrowing out the beach wood I have in there. Maybe it’s because he’s older now too and shouldn’t be eating as much? He’s about 8 months old now.

Anyone have a recommendation for a dish that can hold the roaches (large ones) and superpowers without them escaping?

Although my main issue is his diet good enough? Crickets, superworms, roaches with some wax worms, horned worms. He will not eat BSFL I haven’t tried in the last month or so maybe I’ll try again in a few weeks. Also I find some flies that hatch some of the worms must’ve gotten out of dish and eventually hatched. I think he eats them bc they eventually disappear. TIA

I’ve tried just feeding him BSFL after he stopped eating them and legit just won’t eat them even when starving and was the only option. Same happened with the Dubia roaches.

The only way I get him to eat roaches is I put some in his dish and throw some wax worms in there so he accidentally grabs the roaches too since I get big ones and place the worms on them lol.

He eats horned worms but I know that can’t be a staple and even those he’s not crazy for as much anymore but still eats them now and again. He seems to still like crickets. And occasionally super worms.

Can his staple be just crickets with the hidden roaches with wax worms the way I do it? With the occasional horned and superworms?

Also the dish I have the roaches and super worms get out of pretty easy. I find them on the bottom especially the roaches burrowing out the beach wood I have in there. Maybe it’s because he’s older now too and shouldn’t be eating as much? He’s about 8 months old now.

Anyone have a recommendation for a dish that can hold the roaches (large ones) and superpowers without them escaping?

Although my main issue is his diet good enough? Crickets, superworms, roaches with some wax worms, horned worms. He will not eat BSFL I haven’t tried in the last month or so maybe I’ll try again in a few weeks. Also I find some flies that hatch some of the worms must’ve gotten out of dish and eventually hatched. I think he eats them bc they eventually disappear. TIA
The only big concern I see is the wax worms. These are fine in small quantities, but they are like candy to our guys. They are really fatty. About how many and how often are you feeding them? As far as the BSFL, my Cham isn’t big on them either. He will eat them but it’s a battle to get him to. He does LOVE the flies though. I would try a couple more times with them. Sometimes it can take a while for them to come around to a different food.

The only big concern I see is the wax worms. These are fine in small quantities, but they are like candy to our guys. They are really fatty. About how many and how often are you feeding them? As far as the BSFL, my Cham isn’t big on them either. He will eat them but it’s a battle to get him to. He does LOVE the flies though. I would try a couple more times with them. Sometimes it can take a while for them to come around to a different food.
Well at first I ran out of food bc the weathe was bad and holidays. So I got crickets from local pet shop and was giving him wax worms daily just like 4-5 small ones mixed with roaches which it seemed he’d eat but I’d then find some on the bottom burrowed into the beach wood. But again only like a week then I haven’t given him any in like the last two weeks. I’ve been putting roaches in dish with superworms and 1-2 horned worms. They’d disappear idk if he ate them or they escaped. Found a few on bottom but not he rest so he must’ve eaten some. But yeah he used to love the BSFL like wax worms and he was getting wax worms too so idk what stopped him from liking them. And the flies must be from some that escaped and weeks later hatched. I’ll buy more in a week or two and if he doesn’t like em I’ll let em hatch in the cage so he can eat the flies. Also are the superworms a good staple or more of a treat too? And my guy doesn’t seem fat he seems pretty healthy. So I doubt the wax worms did much.

Also you ever feed grasshoppers? They hard to maintain? I’m reading they need like their own habitat just to store them I might just not even try them now. On top of that they’re expensive.

Last edited:
Well at first I ran out of food bc the weathe was bad and holidays. So I got crickets from local pet shop and was giving him wax worms daily just like 4-5 small ones mixed with roaches which it seemed he’d eat but I’d then find some on the bottom burrowed into the beach wood. But again only like a week then I haven’t given him any in like the last two weeks. I’ve been putting roaches in dish with superworms and 1-2 horned worms. They’d disappear idk if he ate them or they escaped. Found a few on bottom but not he rest so he must’ve eaten some. But yeah he used to love the BSFL like wax worms and he was getting wax worms too so idk what stopped him from liking them. And the flies must be from some that escaped and weeks later hatched. I’ll buy more in a week or two and if he doesn’t like em I’ll let em hatch in the cage so he can eat the flies. Also are the superworms a good staple or more of a treat too? And my guy doesn’t seem dat he seems pretty healthy. So I doubt the wax worms did much.

Also you ever feed grasshoppers? They hard to maintain? I’m reading they need like their own habitat just to store them I might just not even try them now. On top of that they’re expensive.
I don’t do grasshoppers. I use dubia, BSFL, hornworms and wax worms. So I’d let someone else chime in on that one. I know sometimes they can go on hunger strikes. Maybe he got a good taste for the wax worms 😂 I think super worms are more of a treat too. My guy is scared of them so he dosent eat them lol

I don’t do grasshoppers. I use dubia, BSFL, hornworms and wax worms. So I’d let someone else chime in on that one. I know sometimes they can go on hunger strikes. Maybe he got a good taste for the wax worms 😂 I think super worms are more of a treat too. My guy is scared of them so he dosent eat them lol
Haha well I thought it was a hunger strike at first too so I let him have only the option of BSFL and he wouldn’t eat them at all. After 3 days I couldn’t let him not eat anymore so as soon as I put crickets in he was basically pushing my hang out of the way to get to them he was starving lol. I felt bad but I know how nutritious the BSFL are and easy to store and feed. Ima try again in a few weeks. I need a better dish to hold the roaches and superworms. They get out too easy. So if he doesn’t eat them right away the end up getting out within an hour or so besides a few stragglers. And when I disguise them with the wax worms I’ll use like 4 worms to like 7-8 roaches and decent sized ones too and he’ll eat most of em. I do also think he’s getting to an age where he only has to eat like every other day now as well. Bc even some wax worms were left behind and crickets being left behind for days now.

Haha well I thought it was a hunger strike at first too so I let him have only the option of BSFL and he wouldn’t eat them at all. After 3 days I couldn’t let him not eat anymore so as soon as I put crickets in he was basically pushing my hang out of the way to get to them he was starving lol. I felt bad but I know how nutritious the BSFL are and easy to store and feed. Ima try again in a few weeks. I need a better dish to hold the roaches and superworms. They get out too easy. So if he doesn’t eat them right away the end up getting out within an hour or so besides a few stragglers. And when I disguise them with the wax worms I’ll use like 4 worms to like 7-8 roaches and decent sized ones too and he’ll eat most of em. I do also think he’s getting to an age where he only has to eat like every other day now as well. Bc even some wax worms were left behind and crickets being left behind for days now.
See I don’t have that problem. I have a veiled and he thinks he’s always starving 🙄 he will eat whatever I give him lol

Hello! I agree with @Gloriawood - super worms and wax worms are treat bugs. They are super high in fat and low in nutrition.

I've attached the bug sheet for you to review :)

I am currently feeding my chameleons, grasshoppers, crickets, silkworms, bsfl, bsf. My treat bugs are super worms and wax worms and I give 2-3 of those on Saturdays.

I use this bird cup for all my ''worm type bugs" and my hoppers and crickets go in my lunch log. https://www.chewy.com/caitec-featherland-paradise-half/dp/338012

One more thing I am thinking of, at 8 months he will naturally start to eat less on his own. If you are feeding him 20+ bugs daily still he most likely is still eating his fill, just his fill isn't that much anymore. I've lessened what I feed my juvenile boy as well because if I continue to put 20+ bugs in there for him to eat they won't get eaten. Right now I'm doing 3 hoppers, 3 crickets and I'm hand feeding him about 5 bsfl (building trust). Occasionally I'll maybe put like 5 silkworms on sticks for him to hunt...those get picked at over the span of a few days.

Attachments

• Bugs.jpg
    Bugs.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom