Odd bump on leg?

Pray I Hope GIF

Well, Little Guy passed away early this morning. He just couldn't make it.

The vet said that he nursed him through the day, but whatever happened was just too aggressive.

He's also not charging me for any of the work they did to try and help him, and he's also going to do a free necropsy to see what happened. So I'll get a call from him in a bit for what he's able to find out.

His best guess is some sort of deep infection that just... Attacked hard and cut off blood supply. Or an injury that we just couldn't see that caused his troubles. But I want to post here whatever happened so that y'all can take that knowledge forward too.

The vet was extremely kind and helpful.

I'm gonna miss Little Guy ton! He was the coolest. I'll keep him in my heart. This is the most caring and wholesome forum I've ever been on, and you can bet I'll be getting a second Cham as soon as I settle into my new house.

😢 I’m so very sorry that your sweet Little Guy didn’t make it through. It seems that whatever that was, it was super aggressive. It also seems that your vet became very fond of him too and did everything that he could. Sending you vibes of peace and healing. (((💗)))

😢 I’m so very sorry that your sweet Little Guy didn’t make it through. It seems that whatever that was, it was super aggressive. It also seems that your vet became very fond of him too and did everything that he could. Sending you vibes of peace and healing. (((💗)))
Thank you so much. Yeah the vet was absolutely outstanding. I wish I wasn't moving so I could keep him as my vet. The care and attention he gave was out of this world.

Well, Little Guy passed away early this morning. He just couldn't make it.

The vet said that he nursed him through the day, but whatever happened was just too aggressive.

He's also not charging me for any of the work they did to try and help him, and he's also going to do a free necropsy to see what happened. So I'll get a call from him in a bit for what he's able to find out.

His best guess is some sort of deep infection that just... Attacked hard and cut off blood supply. Or an injury that we just couldn't see that caused his troubles. But I want to post here whatever happened so that y'all can take that knowledge forward too.

The vet was extremely kind and helpful.

I'm gonna miss Little Guy ton! He was the coolest. I'll keep him in my heart. This is the most caring and wholesome forum I've ever been on, and you can bet I'll be getting a second Cham as soon as I settle into my new house.
I am so sad about this. I am deeply sorry for your loss. I was really hoping he would pull through.

What an amazingly kind vet you have. In what I have seen within the forum this is not at all something other vets do. Certainly not something mine does.

I know you said you have a move coming up. Maybe once you get settled a new baby will be an option. Sending heaps of ❤️ your way.

I am so sad about this. I am deeply sorry for your loss. I was really hoping he would pull through.

What an amazingly kind vet you have. In what I have seen within the forum this is not at all something other vets do. Certainly not something mine does.

I know you said you have a move coming up. Maybe once you get settled a new baby will be an option. Sending heaps of ❤️ your way.
All we can do is hope sometimes. I know he fought but yeah whatever it was hit him hard and fast.

I can't even believe how wonderful Dr. Dahlhausen was. I definitely will be getting a new little one once settled in. They're just too dang cute to not have!

Notes on what happened to Little Guy:

I got an email from the vet with the biopsy results and a short discussion on what happened to Little Guy. I've attached the report for those interested.

Bottom line up front: The bump I found was squamous cell carcinoma - he had cancer. Dr. Daulhausen said that the cancer was actually deep into his tissues and there really wasn't anything that could be done to save him.

What I'm not sure of is whether the biopsy sent it into overdrive or if he was on the decline and the biopsy was just coincidental timing. Either way, it looks like I DID do everything I could for him, and it just wasn't meant to be.

That being said, I'll pose the question to the group: I'm going to be doing a deep cleaning of his cage. Is this type of carcinoma the same as a papilloma? My understanding is that can be contagious to other chams/lizards and I'd HATE to spread something to my new aone coming later this week. That being said, what sort of cleaning should I focus on?

Thanks for your time and care and help everyone. I'm very glad that I know now what caused his decline/death.

Attachments

• 234428.pdf
    74.3 KB · Views: 38
Notes on what happened to Little Guy:

I got an email from the vet with the biopsy results and a short discussion on what happened to Little Guy. I've attached the report for those interested.

Bottom line up front: The bump I found was squamous cell carcinoma - he had cancer. Dr. Daulhausen said that the cancer was actually deep into his tissues and there really wasn't anything that could be done to save him.

What I'm not sure of is whether the biopsy sent it into overdrive or if he was on the decline and the biopsy was just coincidental timing. Either way, it looks like I DID do everything I could for him, and it just wasn't meant to be.

That being said, I'll pose the question to the group: I'm going to be doing a deep cleaning of his cage. Is this type of carcinoma the same as a papilloma? My understanding is that can be contagious to other chams/lizards and I'd HATE to spread something to my new aone coming later this week. That being said, what sort of cleaning should I focus on?

Thanks for your time and care and help everyone. I'm very glad that I know now what caused his decline/death.
@MissSkittles @jannb @Beman do you fine folks have specific cleaning advice? I'm going to rummage through the forums to see what I can find too. :)

Back
Top Bottom