Odd bump on leg?

CalamityCrow

Avid Member
Alas, it's my turn to ask a question... Does anyone recognize what this lump on Little Guy's leg might be? I noticed it just today during a couple minutes of handling, so I don't think it's been there long. At most it's been there a few days as I try to give him a good once-over regularly, and handle once a week or so. We were headed outside for some natural sun (thank you summer weather, for finally breaking!!) when I spotted it.

I feed mostly dubia and BSFL, and he's cup-fed so I'm almost certain it's not a bug bite (unless maybe a spider got into his enclosure??)

He sometimes reaches way up to the top of the screen, back feet still on his branches and I've heard him flop back down once or twice. Could it have been from him hitting something? I have tried to get him to stop but he's.... Determined.

He's otherwise acting normal - eating, pooping, urates look good. His feeding and supplementation are as recommended here. I have a dragon strand hybrid enclosure with an Arcadia T-5 6% bulb, a SANSI plant light, a 65W incandescent bulb, and a computer fan for aiding chimney effect. I've also got a mist king. His basking is between 80-82, ambient temps in the low 70s, and high 60s at night. His humidity is usually around 50% in the day and it bumps up to 80-100% at night.

Oh yes, he's about a year and a half old.

Any theories are appreciated!

Attachments

• 20230829_094552.jpg
    20230829_094552.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230829_094554.jpg
    20230829_094554.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230829_094630.jpg
    20230829_094630.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Hey hun. So I would get him in with a really good reptile vet. It looks like a growth. And more than likely they will need to remove it and have it tested to determine exactly what it is. Some growths will grow rapidly which would explain why you have not seen it before.

If you have any other reptiles just to be on the safe side do not cross contaminate anything. Wash hands well after handling.

Hey hun. So I would get him in with a really good reptile vet. It looks like a growth. And more than likely they will need to remove it and have it tested to determine exactly what it is. Some growths will grow rapidly which would explain why you have not seen it before.

If you have any other reptiles just to be on the safe side do not cross contaminate anything. Wash hands well after handling.
Ahh dang, was hoping that wasn't the case. But yeah, it does look like something's sprouting there. Thankfully he's the only reptile in my home so no risk of cross-contamination. I'll get that vet list and see who is close by!

Ahh dang, was hoping that wasn't the case. But yeah, it does look like something's sprouting there. Thankfully he's the only reptile in my home so no risk of cross-contamination. I'll get that vet list and see who is close by!
Ok good. Depending on where you live we might be able to suggest someone as well. And yeah it sucks but hopefully it is something that can be just removed and no worries of it coming up anywhere else.

Ok good. Depending on where you live we might be able to suggest someone as well. And yeah it sucks but hopefully it is something that can be just removed and no worries of it coming up anywhere else.
I'm currently in Central Ohio for about another month. Then I'm moving to Albuquerque.... There's a doc in Milford (Dr. Dahlhausen) that's on the list... Looks like that'll be my closest bet if they're still in business.

Got an appointment with Dr. Dalhausen in Milford on Sept 11th, that's on the list from this forum. Though, the number on there is wrong - it should be 1990, not 2990. :)

Update on Little Guy.

He made it into the vet today - the folks there were really sweet. They seemed happy with my husbandry and his state. He's an even 140g, at 15.5" long (7" nose to vent).

The vet looked at the leg bump and agreed with me that it was subdermal, not growing out of anything internal.

She went to do a biopsy and when she stuck the needle in, the whole of what was inside came out. I should have thought to grab a picture but I didn't. What it looked like was a single solid little off-white nugget about half the size of my pinky nail. Vet said they'd send the whole thing to get tested if I wanted, so I opted for it. Better to be safe!

She then put a little lidocaine on the area after cleaning it out and since it was small, she closed it up with just a dab of medical glue. She said it was a clean little area and said it likely doesn't need any antibiotics. I'll be keeping an eye on it and will call if anything starts looking questionable.

My fingers are crossed for a "nothing burger" of results. The whole thing as a new patient there cost me just at $200 for the appointment and then the biopsy labs. Here is the before and after of the bump.

Attachments

• 20230829_094552.jpg
    20230829_094552.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20230912_181045.jpg
    20230912_181045.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 49
Update on Little Guy.

He made it into the vet today - the folks there were really sweet. They seemed happy with my husbandry and his state. He's an even 140g, at 15.5" long (7" nose to vent).

The vet looked at the leg bump and agreed with me that it was subdermal, not growing out of anything internal.

She went to do a biopsy and when she stuck the needle in, the whole of what was inside came out. I should have thought to grab a picture but I didn't. What it looked like was a single solid little off-white nugget about half the size of my pinky nail. Vet said they'd send the whole thing to get tested if I wanted, so I opted for it. Better to be safe!

She then put a little lidocaine on the area after cleaning it out and since it was small, she closed it up with just a dab of medical glue. She said it was a clean little area and said it likely doesn't need any antibiotics. I'll be keeping an eye on it and will call if anything starts looking questionable.

My fingers are crossed for a "nothing burger" of results. The whole thing as a new patient there cost me just at $200 for the appointment and then the biopsy labs. Here is the before and after of the bump.
Keep us updated!

Well I think he spent too much time sleeping in his box (over an hour there and back and I waited at the vet for another hour and a half so it was like 4-5 hours of being asleep in a box) because he's currently awake despite lights being out for about 5 hours, but he's in his pajama colors.

Hopefully he evens out. I know he had a rough day so I'm hoping it's no big deal in the grand scheme.

The kicker is I'm going out of town for a few days starting in like 3 hours and now I'm gonna worry about him. Ugh. Praying he's gonna be fine. The anguish of a Cham mom!

Update on Little Guy.

Your vet has amazing prices... Mine not so much lol. Hopefully the results come back fine.

Your vet has amazing prices... Mine not so much lol. Hopefully the results come back fine.
Haha the visit itself was like 85 which I thought was somewhat high, but perhaps their pricing for the biopsy labs is rather low?? Either way, they were pretty great with him and I'm glad that I went. My fingers and toes are crossed for good news hopefully by the end of the week. :)

Haha the visit itself was like 85 which I thought was somewhat high, but perhaps their pricing for the biopsy labs is rather low?? Either way, they were pretty great with him and I'm glad that I went. My fingers and toes are crossed for good news hopefully by the end of the week. :)
My exotic vet is $75 for the visit.

Update on Little Guy.

Reasonable and smart to do the biopsy- keep us posted!

Well... Little Guy has taken a turn for the absolute worst. It seems the last couple of days while I was gone, he went downhill. I came home last night to him sleeping in the lightest colors I've ever seen, tail not curled up. This morning, he's got odd patches of white on his back end, and isn't interested in doing much moving. Especially his back half. He's also closing his eyes. His eyes are very sunken and I watched him this morning apparently try to poop and he struggled for a bit, his hemipenis poking out behind a urate. He got part of the urate out (quite wet) and then seems to have given up.

I don't know if this is associated with the bump removal, or of it's a coincidence, but he was FINE three days ago. Now I'm not sure if he's going to survive. The vet said I could drop him off as an emergency intake and I have an appointment with them tomorrow. I honestly fear I'm more likely to ask for a necropsy than anything else. I don't know what happened.

I'm doing what I can for him - a vet is all I CAN do. But has anyone experienced this before? I'll post a picture momentarily.

The "best" part is I have movers here the next few days. I'm headed out to Albuquerque in about a week and even if he was fully healthy, a big move like that is going to weigh on him a bit. With him as sick as he is (if he even MAKES it to next week), I don't know what that'll do to him.

Sheesh, I'm SO stressed. :C

Attachments

• 20230918_080655.jpg
    20230918_080655.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 48
Well... Little Guy has taken a turn for the absolute worst. It seems the last couple of days while I was gone, he went downhill. I came home last night to him sleeping in the lightest colors I've ever seen, tail not curled up. This morning, he's got odd patches of white on his back end, and isn't interested in doing much moving. Especially his back half. He's also closing his eyes. His eyes are very sunken and I watched him this morning apparently try to poop and he struggled for a bit, his hemipenis poking out behind a urate. He got part of the urate out (quite wet) and then seems to have given up.

I don't know if this is associated with the bump removal, or of it's a coincidence, but he was FINE three days ago. Now I'm not sure if he's going to survive. The vet said I could drop him off as an emergency intake and I have an appointment with them tomorrow. I honestly fear I'm more likely to ask for a necropsy than anything else. I don't know what happened.

I'm doing what I can for him - a vet is all I CAN do. But has anyone experienced this before? I'll post a picture momentarily.

The "best" part is I have movers here the next few days. I'm headed out to Albuquerque in about a week and even if he was fully healthy, a big move like that is going to weigh on him a bit. With him as sick as he is (if he even MAKES it to next week), I don't know what that'll do to him.

Sheesh, I'm SO stressed. :C
I have not seen anything like this. I have seen where the tail or limb will turn almost black after a needle but he is showing a white discoloration. And that I believe is the opposite leg from the surgery. He is definitely showing signs of a major decline. Looking at the eyes specifically. Who took care of him the three days you were gone?

I understand your concern about moving him in this condition. How are you moving and how long would you need to have him in transport before you can get him back in a regular cage?

Back
Top Bottom