New panther babies advice needed

MSteele

Okay so my first clutch of panther babies have started to hatch. What I'm asking from all of you experienced chameleon breeders is how long do I keep them in the incubator to allow them to adjust. They looks so fragile that I don't want to touch them and I don't want to stress him out so how long do I leave them in the container. And when I do transport them to another cage I was thinking a Tupperware container with plenty of places for them to grab onto and find huding places.

I've bred poison arrow frogs for close to 15 years so I have plenty of fruit flies to feed them and/or smaller crickets. This is my first go around with chameleon babies so I just want to make sure that I'm doing the right things and that I don't stress them out

I remove mine from the egg bin immediately. I used to let them run around until the next one hatched. That way there would always be one in there. I have read about them awakening the others. Now, i just leave the empty shells in one corner. Supposedly the pheromones encourages the others also. Like i said though, now i just remove them upon hatching and the others always seem to hatch anyway. Sometimes you can get an early hatcher (4 weeks early) or even a straggler (4-8 weeks late). Just depends. Do what you think works for you. You will be less stressed, when you have confidence in what you are doing. Therefore less likely to make a silly mistake.

I always remove them, and the egg, once I find them.

That being said, there are times when they may be in the tub 12+ hours until I get to them which is never a problem.

I keep my hatchlings in until they are awake and active. Also if they still have the yolk/umbilical cord attached too, you should leave them in there until they absorb all of it. They need that for nutrition. Hatchlings will not eat or drink for about a day or two once they have hatched so that is another reason why to keep them in the container instead of taking them out right away.

Back
Top Bottom