Have you tried Grasshoppers?? My advice if you are feeding crickets.

Raymond1412

Established Member
Hello! This post is for any people who are feeding crickets, and/or want to try grasshoppers instead!!
I'm sure a lot of you feed crickets. I used to as well. But, when my baby chameleon, Nat stopped eating them, and I had to figure out why.
  • The crickets can easily jump out of the dish that you're feeding them in. (If it's a low one like mine)
  • When the crickets jump out, they have free roam of the cage (unless you catch them right away which is a little hard to do)
  • The crickets can hide in the plants, so you can't see them unless you look, or if they jump on you!!!
  • If you can't see them, your chameleon might not be able to see them. This is a big problem
  • If you or your chameleon can't catch the cricket, your chameleon will know if there's a cricket loose in the enclosure.
  • Your chameleon won't sleep, because they have to stay alert for the crickets
  • Your chammie WON'T fall asleep because if they do, wait for it...
  • THEY WILL GET EATEN ALIVE BY THE CRICKETS 😰
I know almost all of you will still feed crickets after this post. But, if you do, here are some tips and tricks I used to use:
  • Get a cricket dome!! It is a big dome that you can feed your crickets in!! They can get big, and bulky, so if you do not have a lot of space this option might not be the best for you.
  • If you want a smaller option, they make cricket keepers! They keep the bugs in a safe place, and they stay alive! (This option is more expensive)
  • If you don't want to spend any extra money on a new feeder, try feeding crickets one at a time and watch your chameleon eat it.
  • I listed some links down below for some feeders!!
Grasshopper Benefits + where to get them 🦗

Grasshoppers are way healthier than crickets. Here's how:
Grasshoppers are high in protein, they contain MANY vitamins and minerals, and they are a good source of fiber. Compared to crickets, grasshoppers are a lot healthier.

Where to get Grasshoppers:
Feed my Chameleon
If you have Facebook, Khai Phan sells them on Facebook. (These sources are from @MissSkittles!!!)
P.S. Grasshoppers can get REALLY expensive!!! 🤑

Cricket Feeders:
Cricket Keeper
Small Cricket Dome
I tried to find a bigger cricket dome, but nothing came up! I have seen them at Petco & Petsmart in-store. I'm pretty sure they don't sell them online because I checked. When I find one, I'll be sure to link it here!!!

THANK YOU to everyone who has taken the time to read this!!! 💕🫶🦎

You forgot that crickets are foul stinky things that make one find having a bin of roaches as a nicer option (and I think we all feel the same about having roaches in our homes). 😱 I haven’t yet tried hoppers. Same fears about them that I had about trying roaches - the ickyness! Time will tell if I overcome that or not.
They can get VERY stinky!!! I don't mind the roaches as much because they don't jump, but they do get loose all over the enclosure, so sometimes Daffie and I have to play I spy my Dubia roach!! You don't have to feed roaches if you don't feel comfortable with them! There a ton of other bugs you can feed instead of roaches! But, if you want to get over your fear, maybe start with the little tiny roaches and work your way up? Idk. Just a thought!

They can get VERY stinky!!! I don't mind the roaches as much because they don't jump, but they do get loose all over the enclosure, so sometimes Daffie and I have to play I spy my Dubia roach!! You don't have to feed roaches if you don't feel comfortable with them! There a ton of other bugs you can feed instead of roaches! But, if you want to get over your fear, maybe start with the little tiny roaches and work your way up? Idk. Just a thought!
Oh, lol. I‘ve had a colony of discoid roachies since 2019. I guess I wasn’t so clear. It took a bit to get used to the idea and I still refuse to touch the adults, but I’ve grown fond of the icky buggers. I’m ok about all of the other feeders and have tried my hand at breeding some...just not the grasshoppers since they are big icky.

It helps me to think of the dubia as giant rolly pollies (pill bugs) 😌

When you are feeding young chameleons that are taking down 3 dozen 1/4 inch feeders a day crickets are a good option. Also most breeders raise babies on crickets so these are feeders that the babies already know to go after.

I think there is a time to feed crickets. I have always done so with my young chams while mixing in other feeders to get them used to new insects. I tend to work them off of crickets by the time they are 9-12 months old and are actively eating other insects.

When you are feeding young chameleons that are taking down 3 dozen 1/4 inch feeders a day crickets are a good option. Also most breeders raise babies on crickets so these are feeders that the babies already know to go after.

I think there is a time to feed crickets. I have always done so with my young chams while mixing in other feeders to get them used to new insects. I tend to work them off of crickets by the time they are 9-12 months old and are actively eating other insects.
I did something similar to what you did with my babies. I fed Yoshi and Nat crickets until they both passed, but since Daffie is older now I don't feed her crickets anymore.

Oh, lol. I‘ve had a colony of discoid roachies since 2019. I guess I wasn’t so clear. It took a bit to get used to the idea and I still refuse to touch the adults, but I’ve grown fond of the icky buggers. I’m ok about all of the other feeders and have tried my hand at breeding some...just not the grasshoppers since they are big icky.
I agree with you. The Grasshoppers are icky, but they are better than crickets in my opinion. Sorry, I didn't understand that you had discoid roaches already lol.

I agree with you. The Grasshoppers are icky, but they are better than crickets in my opinion. Sorry, I didn't understand that you had discoid roaches already lol.
Maybe eventually I’ll come around to the idea of them. I know everyone’s chams really enjoy them and I do feel like I’m depriving my animals of yummy goodness. Besides finding the big adults icky scary, I’m afraid I might find the little ones cute and feel bad about feeding them off.

Maybe eventually I’ll come around to the idea of them. I know everyone’s chams really enjoy them and I do feel like I’m depriving my animals of yummy goodness. Besides finding the big adults icky scary, I’m afraid I might find the little ones cute and feel bad about feeding them off.
I'm the same way with the hornworms!! Even with the adults, they're just so cute! They climb all over me, and feel like I can't feed them off because I just made a friend!!! At least I have some friends to take pictures of!!!

Back
Top Bottom