New LYR Tropic Blaze 18 inch PC fixture :D

MelissaB

Avid Member
I am so excited! Yesterday I received my new fixture from Todd, and I am very impressed. I saw some pictures of his new design in another thread, and was very curious. The bulbs are like a U or double bulb shape, so it's almost like a mini-quad fixture for a smaller footprint. So, I ordered one, and I'm super happy with it! It's the perfect size for the Zoo Med and Exo Terra vivs, and fits perfect on the 18x18x36 cage I have it on currently. You can use it with legs or without, and the legs will slide so you can size it to fit your top. I'm currently playing with screen panels to get a good UVB level for the pygmies I'll getting soon. I think I'll be keeping the legs on, because I like that it doesn't cover up the top.

I took a few before and after shots to show what a nice light spread it gives. I need to take another before shot, because the fixture was on top of the screen, whereas the new fixture is raised on legs. I like to do an even comparison. ;)

The light looks so much better in person, I wish I was a better photographer. It gives a dappled light all the way to the bottom, which was really dark before. I imagine it would be even more dramatic on my 18 x 18 x 24 vivs. I might just set it up on one, just to show the difference.

It 's awesome to be able to center it and adjust the level of UVB with the legs and screen panels. Hopefully my climbing vines will take over and cover all the great stuff foam. ;)

Here are a few of my crappy pics. I will be posting better ones after I take them so you can see the actual fixture, too:

24 inch reptisun T5 fixture w/ 1year old 10.0 bulb
20150311_150833_resized.jpg

New Tropic Blaze 18 inch PC fixture with one Arcadia 12% and one daylight bulb
20150311_152040_resized_1.jpg

20150311_151054_resized.jpg

A 12% in a 36" cage? My 6%(screenless with hood) will put out reptisun 5.0 levels at 36". What are your meter measurements with your screen filtering setup? I might give a 12% a shot and screen it initially till it calms down over a year.

A 12% in a 36" cage? My 6%(screenless with hood) will put out reptisun 5.0 levels at 36". What are your meter measurements with your screen filtering setup? I might give a 12% a shot and screen it initially till it calms down over a year.

It is important to note these fixtures will come with the ability to TOTALLY ADJUST THE UV TO ANY LEVEL YOU WANT>>>:D<<<

So they give perfect UV levels on an 18 x 18 x 36 cage.:D

That is part of the reason why they are so super cool.:cool:

But they are not on the LYR web-site yet because I have not got the instructions and all that jazz done yet. :eek:
never enough time it seems!

So if anybody has any questions about them (like cost: 99.99 ;) )- please just e/m me for now.
:rolleyes:
[email protected]

Thank you!

Attachments

• 18 PC on cage 2.jpg
    18 PC on cage 2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 150
  • screen sleeves (2).jpg
    screen sleeves (2).jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 144
It looks like an actual shaft of sunlight is streaming down through the forest branches!
Nice set up. The plants will love it too!
:D
Thank you Melissa!

I am so excited! Yesterday I received my new fixture from Todd, and I am very impressed. I saw some pictures of his new design in another thread, and was very curious. The bulbs are like a U or double bulb shape, so it's almost like a mini-quad fixture for a smaller footprint. So, I ordered one, and I'm super happy with it! It's the perfect size for the Zoo Med and Exo Terra vivs, and fits perfect on the 18x18x36 cage I have it on currently. You can use it with legs or without, and the legs will slide so you can size it to fit your top. I'm currently playing with screen panels to get a good UVB level for the pygmies I'll getting soon. I think I'll be keeping the legs on, because I like that it doesn't cover up the top.

I took a few before and after shots to show what a nice light spread it gives. I need to take another before shot, because the fixture was on top of the screen, whereas the new fixture is raised on legs. I like to do an even comparison. ;)

The light looks so much better in person, I wish I was a better photographer. It gives a dappled light all the way to the bottom, which was really dark before. I imagine it would be even more dramatic on my 18 x 18 x 24 vivs. I might just set it up on one, just to show the difference.

It 's awesome to be able to center it and adjust the level of UVB with the legs and screen panels. Hopefully my climbing vines will take over and cover all the great stuff foam. ;)

Here are a few of my crappy pics. I will be posting better ones after I take them so you can see the actual fixture, too:

24 inch reptisun T5 fixture w/ 1year old 10.0 bulb
View attachment 106817

New Tropic Blaze 18 inch PC fixture with one Arcadia 12% and one daylight bulb
View attachment 106818

View attachment 106819

Nightanole, I plan on using screen to bring the UVB levels down to where I need them. Todd sent some pieces with the fixture, and I have a bunch of different types laying around the house. Also having the legs on the fixture brings the height up, farther away from the cage top.
I have the 6.2 and 6.5 solarmeters, so I will be able to tweak it to get it where I want it. :) I'll take a few UVB measurements later today.

Thank you, Todd. :) I am very happy with this light. Can't wait to see how my plants grow!

I took a few measurements with my 6.2 meter. At about 3 inches from the top of the cage (where my top horizontal branch is), at the center of the UVB lamp with an additional screen around the lamp, I'm getting 63 microwatts. If I put the other screen sleeve on top of the cage, under the center of the lamp, I get 25 microwatts, because the sleeve would be counted as a double layer.
So the light would be going through 4 layers of screen, one on the bulb, one belonging to the cage, and an additional double layer of the screen sleeve. The rest of the cage has lower readings, depending on plant placement and how far away the bulb is. I'm going to play with different types of screen, and see what readings I get.
If I get really concerned, I can always shade out a portion with a piece of the included plastic shield. :)

Just as an FYI-

Arcadia web site has compiled this list of UV requirements of different species, including a few species of Chams.
:)

The suggestions do assume the animals are in optimum cages that are roomy enough to ALLOW the animals to get OUT of the UV if they so choose.

This is important to understand,
because the numbers are high - but they are for the basking area and not the whole cage.

This introduces the concept of UV gradients. Just as the animals would get in Nature.

http://www.arcadia-reptile.com/lighting-guide/

Thank you
Todd

I took a few measurements with my 6.2 meter. At about 3 inches from the top of the cage (where my top horizontal branch is), at the center of the UVB lamp with an additional screen around the lamp, I'm getting 63 microwatts. If I put the other screen sleeve on top of the cage, under the center of the lamp, I get 25 microwatts, because the sleeve would be counted as a double layer.
So the light would be going through 4 layers of screen, one on the bulb, one belonging to the cage, and an additional double layer of the screen sleeve. The rest of the cage has lower readings, depending on plant placement and how far away the bulb is. I'm going to play with different types of screen, and see what readings I get.
If I get really concerned, I can always shade out a portion with a piece of the included plastic shield. :)

Hi Melissa, Have you noticed you plants perking up yet?
I know it's still soon, but I was just checking. :)
Thank you!
Todd

Nightanole, I plan on using screen to bring the UVB levels down to where I need them. Todd sent some pieces with the fixture, and I have a bunch of different types laying around the house. Also having the legs on the fixture brings the height up, farther away from the cage top.
I have the 6.2 and 6.5 solarmeters, so I will be able to tweak it to get it where I want it. :) I'll take a few UVB measurements later today.

Thank you, Todd. :) I am very happy with this light. Can't wait to see how my plants grow!

Back
Top Bottom