New Ambilobe Panther owner looking for right setup

Ahhh no mines different and they jump out easily into the foliage. Yours looks really cool. And I just got him some Dubias roaches large bc the mediums were tiny and seemed all dead. They were a tad too big. He ate one took him a little while to chew then he didn’t eat anymore so maybe too big. I bought meal worms and super worms too. The crickets just disappear I gotta get a different feeder like yours. Thanks!
https://sunsetchameleons.com/product/chameleon-feeder/

There are others that are similar, I just prefer this one because it looks so beautiful and I feel it goes better with the enclosures.

It comes with a way to attach already. It’s like posts in the back. Hold on and I’ll show you mine.
K you just attach it through the screen and put the silver guys in through the other side. Works like a charm.

Attachments

• IMG_7699.jpeg
    IMG_7699.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_7700.jpeg
    IMG_7700.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 39
K you just attach it through the screen and put the silver guys in through the other side. Works like a charm.
Ok great! Can’t wait to try it out. Did you have your Cham when he was a juvenile? I was asking before don’t know if anyone saw it but the pet store said to feed crickets only but I’ve learned they don’t know a thing about anything lol. Do I start a variety right away or stick to crickets for a bit? He’s not too small he ate a big cockroach today but it was too big he had trouble getting it down. But until that feeder is here crickets just disappear so it’s not even worth feeding to him ya know. Sometimes he gets some but most hide until they die

Ok great! Can’t wait to try it out. Did you have your Cham when he was a juvenile? I was asking before don’t know if anyone saw it but the pet store said to feed crickets only but I’ve learned they don’t know a thing about anything lol. Do I start a variety right away or stick to crickets for a bit? He’s not too small he ate a big cockroach today but it was too big he had trouble getting it down. But until that feeder is here crickets just disappear so it’s not even worth feeding to him ya know. Sometimes he gets some but most hide until they die
Great questions! I got my Jackson when he was 4 months old and he is currently

Oops pushed enter too soon 🤣

My Jackson will be 7 months September 16th. I also have a panther that is a year and a half and a veiled chameleon that is around a year and a half as well.

Its been so busy on here this week I bet it got missed. Pet stores don't often have updated/correct information on care for chameleons. I follow this care guide below for my panther, check it out, maybe you will find it helpful for your little guy.

Panther Chameleon Care Guide

For feeders, I would suggest a variety, just crickets are fine but you can imagine it gets dull eating the same thing every time. I currently have crickets, BSFL, dubia roaches, wax worms (treats) and super worms (treats). I usually also have silkworms and occasionally get horn worms. I buy my crickets from Josh's frogs, the silks from Costal Silks and all other bugs on Dubia.com. On Saturday I feed my 'treat bugs' but all other days I mix up the other staple feeders for their variety. I'll include a document for you to check out that has a list of good feeders for your little guy.

If your chameleon has only eaten crickets, chances are he will need time to realize that other bugs are just as yummy. For my juvenile (who also grew up eating crickets) I put 15 crickets in the feeder run cup and a variety of 20 other bugs in a bird feeder cup. At the end of the night just before his lights turn off I remove all bugs, count how many are missing and then I know how much he ate. Don't feed anything bigger than the space between your little guys eyes.

Until your feeder run arrives, you can make one for your chameleon to use. I made this same thing and it worked well for me until my feeder arrived.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Attachments

• Gut Load.jpg
    Gut Load.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Bugs.jpg
    Bugs.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 42
Oops pushed enter too soon 🤣

My Jackson will be 7 months September 16th. I also have a panther that is a year and a half and a veiled chameleon that is around a year and a half as well.

Its been so busy on here this week I bet it got missed. Pet stores don't often have updated/correct information on care for chameleons. I follow this care guide below for my panther, check it out, maybe you will find it helpful for your little guy.

Panther Chameleon Care Guide

For feeders, I would suggest a variety, just crickets are fine but you can imagine it gets dull eating the same thing every time. I currently have crickets, BSFL, dubia roaches, wax worms (treats) and super worms (treats). I usually also have silkworms and occasionally get horn worms. I buy my crickets from Josh's frogs, the silks from Costal Silks and all other bugs on Dubia.com. On Saturday I feed my 'treat bugs' but all other days I mix up the other staple feeders for their variety. I'll include a document for you to check out that has a list of good feeders for your little guy.

If your chameleon has only eaten crickets, chances are he will need time to realize that other bugs are just as yummy. For my juvenile (who also grew up eating crickets) I put 15 crickets in the feeder run cup and a variety of 20 other bugs in a bird feeder cup. At the end of the night just before his lights turn off I remove all bugs, count how many are missing and then I know how much he ate. Don't feed anything bigger than the space between your little guys eyes.

Until your feeder run arrives, you can make one for your chameleon to use. I made this same thing and it worked well for me until my feeder arrived.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Yep I spoke to William from reptile academy on phone for like 20mil he helped me out a lot set me some links for the led grow light he’s using etc. (really nice guy btw, I know he’s here somewhere lol)

And thanks for that info too about leaving a variety in there all day for him to eat. And he’s about 4 months old as well I think. I gotta ask the breeder his bday. But he did eat a roach today but was a bit too big I think turned him off bc he had to chew awhile then he went onto his asking perch for a bit then hid in the foliage and dark for rest of the day.

Just double checking here. Coming tm it’ll be only a week I’ve had him. I should wait another before handling him at all?

Just double checking here. Coming tm it’ll be only a week I’ve had him. I should wait another before handling him at all?
Handling is something that is often highly stressful for a chameleon. I personally do not handle any of my chameleons at all unless I’m doing a physical examination or taking it to the vet.

Handling is something that is often highly stressful for a chameleon. I personally do not handle any of my chameleons at all unless I’m doing a physical examination or taking it to the vet.
It’s hard not to handle them because as humans we are very tactile but I’ve just found other ways for me to show my chams j love them…..even though they don’t love me 🤣🤣

Gotcha yeah I was told not to handle often but can a bit depending on your Cham and how he reacts but I’m not gonna try for at least two weeks. I picked him up twice. Once to get him out of the box he came in and once I was doing something in there and he tried climbing onto my curtains close by 😂

Gotcha yeah I was told not to handle often but can a bit depending on your Cham and how he reacts but I’m not gonna try for at least two weeks. I picked him up twice. Once to get him out of the box he came in and once I was doing something in there and he tried climbing onto my curtains close by 😂
Id probably wait a month or two honestly. It take them a hike to get used to their new environment.

Got a pic of a semi fresh poop. Dried out under lights a bit before I saw it. But this look normal?

Attachments

• IMG_1831.jpeg
    IMG_1831.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 35
I "handled" Spike ONCE since I've gotten him home. That was when I opened the lid of the tupperware he was in while being shipped, and he sprang out like a bat out of hell. Never saw a chameleon move so fast lol! He ran onto my hand and I could tell he was quickly gonna jump off my hand, so I just kept putting each hand in front of the other letting him continue to walk on my hands until I got him to his enclosure.

That was it. Hasn't been handled since then.

I've hand fed him twice (1 bug each time. He wouldn't do any more). Usually he rejects bugs on my hand.

I've tried twice to put my hand near him to see if he would cooperate. Both times he got pretty defensive/aggressive and retreated if I didn't pull my hand away.

I think this is a case by case basis, but I would be real slow and gradual with this personally. Unless your chameleon seems 'receptive' to your hand regularly. Remember, he is probably still even getting used to his new home! So you trying to handle him could also be extra stressful for him, for now. I personally waited until I felt Spike was pretty comfortable in his enclosure before I even tried to hand feed.

Even now, about almost a month and a half of having him home, he is still even getting used to his enclosure IMO.

He seems totally fine with me hanging out near his enclosure and checking him out. He even seems okay with me setting up his bugs while he is basking, inches away. Work in progress!

Back
Top Bottom