New Ambilobe Panther owner looking for right setup

CryptKeeper

I’m buying from a breeder who has a biology degree and other biologists. He ran through so much info on the phone I could barely keep up with his info. Anyways, I’ll have the XL screen enclosure 24x24x36 he said to get cococoir for the bottom and add some spring tails and isotopes to it. Get this pretty expensive misting system (mist king v4) 179 on Amazon 239 from his site. I bought one on Amazon for 30 it seems to soak the whole cage (and outside lol) he told me it should be a fine mist like water particles so it gets every inch of the cage saying nothing compares to the mist king. 🤷🏻‍♂️ maybe idk lol

Said to get a ceramic heat element and a 22” uvb T10 bulb.

Would I need a basking light for the day too or he’d use the ceramic element for that mixed with the uvb light? Also do I turn off the heater at night? I’m in ny so it’s prob around 70 at night right now but winter will be a different story prob gets 64 in the area he’ll be in winter.

Any other pointers? I have all fake plants and vines to use and a piece of treated beach wood. Can I use anything I find outside at all? Branches etc? Just looking for the right setup for him to stay happy and healthy. This breeder gave me so much different info then the mom and pop reptile store i went to first and ordered a Jackson from (then realized they’re not to colorful so did some research myself and after talking to this guy it seems the pet store doesn’t have as much knowledge as him)

Anyways thanks in advance I know it’s a long read but seems so many here have so much knowledge I’d like to have the best setup and not break the bank if not needed (like finding same items cheaper on Amazon/eBay etc)

My advice is:
XL Reptibreeze w/coroplast sheets (plastic cardboard) affixed with Velcro on the sides to keep water/humidity in.

The Reptibreeze substrate tray to catch the falling water drops

Definitely the Mist King. Does a great job, works silently, saves you tons of headaches. Is fully programmable for time and duration of sprays.

Real pothos plants with long hanging vines. They’re cheap at Home Depot

Use only real branches. I use birch because they’re pretty with varied diameters and I have a birch tree. Different diameter branches are good for cham’s feet.

24” Arcadia T5 UVB w/6% strength
Arcadia Jungle Dawn LED for your plant growth

Arcadia or Zoo Med heat dome with 40-60 watt incandescent 8” above the basking branch. I use 40 in the spring/summer and 60 in the fall/winter to get 80-82 degrees at the branch.

Start with a bare bottom setup and when you have mastered that, and your chameleon is healthy, give the bioactive substrate a try.

Last edited:
My advice is:
XL Reptibreeze w/coroplast sheets (plastic cardboard) affixed with Velcro on the sides to keep water/humidity in.

The Reptibreeze substrate tray to catch the falling water drops

Definitely the Mist King. Does a great job, works silently, saves you tons of headaches with a programmable unit for time and duration of sprays.

Real pothos plants with long hanging vines. They’re cheap at Home Depot

Use only real branches. I use birch.

24” Arcadia T5 UVB w/6% strength
Arcadia Jungle Dawn LED for your plant growth

Arcadia or Zoo Med heat dome with 40-60 watt incandescent 8” above the basking branch. I use 40 in the spring/summer and 60 in the fall/winter to get 80-82 degrees at the branch.

Start with a bare bottom setup and when you have mastered that, and your chameleon is healthy, give the bioactive substrate a try.
Appreciate the reply! So live plants are ok from places like Home Depot and other nurseries? What about branches and sticks etc from the outdoors? Do I need to bake them or anything to kill any bacteria?

Appreciate the reply! So live plants are ok from places like Home Depot and other nurseries? What about branches and sticks etc from the outdoors? Do I need to bake them or anything to kill any bacteria?
You don’t need to bake them. Just give them a quick scrub with soapy water and they’re OK. Nothing with caked on lichen, fungi, or algae. Use healthy looking branches.

Here’s my stash ready to go for any branch replacements.

Attachments

• E8F85850-5EF8-4B9A-8853-6AAC6B3492B8.jpeg
    E8F85850-5EF8-4B9A-8853-6AAC6B3492B8.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 45
I'm not saying his advice is wrong but much of it I wouldn't recommend. Heat emitters are not recommended, you want all live plants and can use hardwood branches like oak from outside. T5HO is so much better than T10. For just one chameleon if you able to mist the enclosure in the morning and evening I would just use a spray bottle ( I hand mist 7 enclosures) . Until you hone your skills I have just use a bare bottom enclosure without mulch/fibers. Here's one of my enclosures to give you some ideas on yours. Here's a link many highly recommend...
https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/

Attachments

• 20230725_111459.jpg
    20230725_111459.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 47
Oh and he’ll be a captive bred juvenile about 3-4”
If the chameleon is 3-4” nose to tail that’s a really young ambilobe chameleon. I wouldn’t take on a really young chameleon if you’re new to the hobby. Try to find one that’s larger and stronger.

If the chameleon is 3-4” nose to tail that’s a really young ambilobe chameleon. I wouldn’t take on a really young chameleon if you’re new to the hobby. Try to find one that’s larger and stronger.
I may have made a mistake with the size as I said he gave me a ton of info. There’s options to buy hatchlings, juveniles and adults. He said best to get the juvenile so he can grow up being handled by my son (which who this is for) so he is used to him. I think it’s bigger than 3-4” sorry about that here’s some pics of the babies he has

Attachments

• IMG_1692.png
    IMG_1692.png
    561.4 KB · Views: 50
I may have made a mistake with the size as I said he gave me a ton of info. There’s options to buy hatchlings, juveniles and adults. He said best to get the juvenile so he can grow up being handled by my son (which who this is for) so he is used to him. I think it’s bigger than 3-4” sorry about that here’s some pics of the babies he has
4 months old are usually what is recommend

I'm not saying his advice is wrong but much of it I wouldn't recommend. Heat emitters are not recommended, you want all live plants and can use hardwood branches like oak from outside. T5HO is so much better than T10. For just one chameleon if you able to mist the enclosure in the morning and evening I would just use a spray bottle ( I hand mist 7 enclosures) . Until you hone your skills I have just use a bare bottom enclosure without mulch/fibers. Here's one of my enclosures to give you some ideas on yours. Here's a link many highly recommend...
So any live plants work? As long as they’re not toxic I assume.

I may have made a mistake with the size as I said he gave me a ton of info. There’s options to buy hatchlings, juveniles and adults. He said best to get the juvenile so he can grow up being handled by my son (which who this is for) so he is used to him. I think it’s bigger than 3-4” sorry about that he may have said 7 I don’t remember.
Yes I messed up there too haha he said to get the reptisun 10.0 T5 the numbers messed me up lol

What lighting would you use for heat then? In a X-Large reptibreeze 24x24x48? And should I close up maybe two sides with plastic possibly if it’s too cold in there or not enough humidity. I’m assuming a lot is trial and error until getting it just right.

What lighting would you use for heat then? In a X-Large reptibreeze 24x24x48? And should I close up maybe two sides with plastic possibly if it’s too cold in there or not enough humidity. I’m assuming a lot is trial and error until getting it just right.
Velcro some coroplast sheets on the sides.
Get a heat lamp dome from Petco or the like and put a 40 watt or 60 watt incandescent bulb in there. You will need a temperature probe to measure the heat at the branch. And actually measure above the branch where the highest point on your chameleon will be above that branch, like their head or their back. This is an expensive hobby FYI.

Expect to spend about $1K on the setup and then the chameleon, and then their healthcare costs a lot of money.

Velcro some coroplast sheets on the sides.
Get a heat lamp dome from Petco or the like and put a 40 watt or 60 watt incandescent bulb in there. You will need a temperature probe to measure the heat at the branch. And actually measure above the branch where the highest point on your chameleon will be above that branch, like their head or their back. This is an expensive hobby FYI.

Expect to spend about $1K on the setup and then the chameleon, and then their healthcare costs a lot of money.
Yeah I realized this after I started buying everything haha it’s ok though money not too big an issue.

I may have made a mistake with the size as I said he gave me a ton of info. There’s options to buy hatchlings, juveniles and adults. He said best to get the juvenile so he can grow up being handled by my son (which who this is for) so he is used to him. I think it’s bigger than 3-4” sorry about that he may have said 7 I don’t remember.

Yes I messed up there too haha he said to get the reptisun 10.0 T5 the numbers messed me up lol
I would make sure you know how old he is. Getting a chameleon younger than 4 months is really risky because they are so fragile.

Back
Top Bottom