New Ambilobe Panther owner looking for right setup

You will need to make a few changes.... Read through this and it will walk you through total set up... https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Your set up needs horizontal branches. All of the fake vines and flowers should be pulled out. These just are not helpful with chams and they are not easy to clean. You could hang them on the outside of the cage so it has more coverage. But you want real plants inside.
And yeah I moved some stuff and added horizontal

Attachments

• IMG_1697.jpeg
    IMG_1697.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 36
View attachment 342328So here’s my temp setup from the first cage I bought for the Jackson. The panther will be here tomorrow but the rest of the stuff I ordered (bigger cage, mist king, etc is on the way will be here by Friday everything) so I’ll keep him in here until I have that and can set it up.
It’s such a shame because you clearly worked really hard, put a lot of thought into this, and spent a lot of money. Now you have to hit the reset button on a lot of stuff like I did. But I’m so glad you reached out and ordered the right equipment and plants. Your chameleon will do much better. Others never find out about the forums and put their chams in an enclosure like that. Sure some may survive…at least for a while but they don’t thrive.

It’s such a shame because you clearly worked really hard, put a lot of thought into this, and spent a lot of money. Now you have to hit the reset button on a lot of stuff like I did. But I’m so glad you reached out and ordered the right equipment and plants. Your chameleon will do much better. Others never find out about the forums and put their chams in an enclosure like that. Sure some may survive…at least for a while but they don’t thrive.
Yeah truly wish I didn’t impulse buy. I thought it was simple. Then I actually got into it and reading. But now I know what I’m aiming for with the new build and have all the right stuff to go with it. I’ll update here once it’s done and send a pic of him tm maybe you guys can let me know if he seems healthy just from appearance.

And yeah I’m pretty deep into the pockets already lmao

Here’s something I’ve yet to read. When I first get him I assume he’s starving. But do I feed him right away or let him acclimate to his environment for awhile before giving him some crickets?

Yeah truly wish I didn’t impulse buy. I thought it was simple. Then I actually got into it and reading. But now I know what I’m aiming for with the new build and have all the right stuff to go with it. I’ll update here once it’s done and send a pic of him tm maybe you guys can let me know if he seems healthy just from appearance.
Yes please do! We are here for any questions or concerns

Here’s something I’ve yet to read. When I first get him I assume he’s starving. But do I feed him right away or let him acclimate to his environment for awhile before giving him some crickets?
You’ll want to have extra misting sessions for drinking opportunities more light than likely he will be dehydrated. I would also include feed her so that he can eat as he wants. My guy eats anywhere between 10 to 15 feeders every single day.

You’ll want to have extra misting sessions for drinking opportunities more light than likely he will be dehydrated. I would also include feed her so that he can eat as he wants. My guy eats anywhere between 10 to 15 feeders every single day.
I did extra misting sessions for at least a week after I got my guy and I started to see white urates.

Yep I burned $500.00 on junk after impulse buying a female veieled chameleon at Petco! Relied on the “expert” there who had no idea what they were talking about. The heat lamp was too close to basking and burned her back. Joined the forums and tossed everything to start new. Got advice on burn care and she made a full recovery. Everyone here will essentially follow the same playbook with some variances, because we have different species with different requirements. Veieled chams do OK with warmer temps but those same temps can kill a Jackson’s. Some people live in dry areas so they use a humidifier and others live in damp areas so they don’t. My chams hate drippers so I don’t use them. I spray heavily twice a day and their urates are perfectly fine. You’re doing great, just keep asking questions.

How much a pain in the ass is adding the dragon clips after building the reptibreeze xl?

My cage will be here Friday the same day as the Cham (they said it was too hot to ship today from fl but I need the time anyways) but I just ordered the dragon clips today and he said it’ll probably take about 5 days since it’s coming from California. Anyone ever add them after a cage build?

I’d hate to keep him in the smaller less efficient cage until it arrives so kinda stuck with doing it after the build.

Yep I burned $500.00 on junk after impulse buying a female veieled chameleon at Petco! Relied on the “expert” there who had no idea what they were talking about. The heat lamp was too close to basking and burned her back. Joined the forums and tossed everything to start new. Got advice on burn care and she made a full recovery. Everyone here will essentially follow the same playbook with some variances, because we have different species with different requirements. Veieled chams do OK with warmer temps but those same temps can kill a Jackson’s. Some people live in dry areas so they use a humidifier and others live in damp areas so they don’t. My chams hate drippers so I don’t use them. I spray heavily twice a day and their urates are perfectly fine. You’re doing great, just keep asking questions.
Yep I would say I burned at least $500. At least I can use some of the stuff I bought but glad I learned the right way. And he’s now being delivered Friday supposedly which is same day as my larger cage. I’m hoping he even delays longer tbh. I have some things like the dragon clips coming in about 5 days would love to have them before building the new cage. But I won’t keep him in an inadequate enclosure to save me some time and stress lol

I did extra misting sessions for at least a week after I got my guy and I started to see white urates.
So just monitor the poop and add or reduce water accordingly? And assuming he’ll be quite hungry when I get him. Should I let him acclimate to the environment for a few hours before feeding him?

I’d offer him some bugs in a cup when he first arrives. Just recognize he may be too scared to eat in front of you and may take a few days to settle in. Some chameleons will eat right away and others won’t but it’s worth trying. Keep in mind, once you change his enclosures the 2 week acclimation time restarts.

So just monitor the poop and add or reduce water accordingly? And assuming he’ll be quite hungry when I get him. Should I let him acclimate to the environment for a few hours before feeding him?
Food means security so offer food right away. If they’re not feeling comfortable enough to eat, that’s OK. Giving food when they are presented with a new situation or environment creates a positive experience.

I’d offer him some bugs in a cup when he first arrives. Just recognize he may be too scared to eat in front of you and may take a few days to settle in. Some chameleons will eat right away and others won’t but it’s worth trying. Keep in mind, once you change his enclosures the 2 week acclimation time restarts.

Thanks for the vids I didn’t know about a 2 week acclimating period! This forum is loaded with info. Appreciate it!

Thanks for the vids I didn’t know about a 2 week acclimating period! This forum is loaded with info. Appreciate it!
Enjoy holding him for a few moments when you get him out of the box. Mind you he’s absolutely terrified at this point, having been stuffed into a dark box that’s shaking around for 24 hours and he’s pulled out by something that may or may not eat him. Put him in the enclosure gently and offer him food. Then you leave them alone for 2 or more weeks so they feel secure. Can’t wait to hear when he arrives!

Enjoy holding him for a few moments when you get him out of the box. Mind you he’s absolutely terrified at this point, having been stuffed into a dark box that’s shaking around for 24 hours and he’s pulled out by something that may or may not eat him. Put him in the enclosure gently and offer him food. Then you leave them alone for 2 or more weeks so they feel secure. Can’t wait to hear when he arrives!
Awesome sounds good and I won’t eat him 😂 he was shipped today so I’ll have him tm along with the new cage so hopefully I have him in the new one by Saturday/Sunday

Back
Top Bottom