Need some quick advice

Dr O has already given you excellent information and someone has already linked to Hoj's thread about his cham who had the same problem. As has been said, the infection on top of a fracture makes this a very serious issue. It could have been that the infection has been brewing for some time and that's what caused weakening of the bone enough to cause the fracture, like in Momma's case. An x-ray is needed to determine the extent of the bone damage from the infection and how bad the break is. Unfortunately, if the mandible has broken in the middle where it looks like the infection is seated that is more difficult to repair, especially if the bone has been eaten away by bacteria. With the bone broken and exposed in the root of a raging bacterial population it can spread to the rest of the body very easily, which would be life-threatening. Antibiotics are needed asap, and cleaning of the mouth as has been described above. Be very careful opening her jaw for cleaning though - it's already very weak and you could potentially cause additional fractures. But the cleanings are necessary. This is a painful condition that is going to be difficult to heal. Diagnostics are the first step, but be prepared for bad news. Unfortunately you'll need to consider her quality of life here, which is a hard discussion to have. :(

Dr O has already given you excellent information and someone has already linked to Hoj's thread about his cham who had the same problem. As has been said, the infection on top of a fracture makes this a very serious issue. It could have been that the infection has been brewing for some time and that's what caused weakening of the bone enough to cause the fracture, like in Momma's case. An x-ray is needed to determine the extent of the bone damage from the infection and how bad the break is. Unfortunately, if the mandible has broken in the middle where it looks like the infection is seated that is more difficult to repair, especially if the bone has been eaten away by bacteria. With the bone broken and exposed in the root of a raging bacterial population it can spread to the rest of the body very easily, which would be life-threatening. Antibiotics are needed asap, and cleaning of the mouth as has been described above. Be very careful opening her jaw for cleaning though - it's already very weak and you could potentially cause additional fractures. But the cleanings are necessary. This is a painful condition that is going to be difficult to heal. Diagnostics are the first step, but be prepared for bad news. Unfortunately you'll need to consider her quality of life here, which is a hard discussion to have. :(

This morning shes now shutting the eye on the side where the infection is. I think the infection is spreding. I'm going to clean it and go buy something to help today and get her to the vet 2mmrow. this is so terrible :(

I'm so sorry, okiroo. these is really a lousy situation and I hate seeing animals and owners having to go through this sort of thing. and it's frustrating as all get out for me since all I can do is type advice. I wish I could arrive at your doorstep in a mobile RV practice and try to fix this.

if everyone heckles ferretinmyshoes, maybe she will give up living in CO and partner up on such a practice with me in FL! lord knows I've tried already to get her down here! :)

Oh Morgan! Im So sorry!

I wish i could offer some advice, but all I can offer is support.

I hope she gets better, but if not, I know you will do the right thing.

Please keep us update.

:(:(:(:(

Ya'll are awsome people. Thanks for the support and adivde

Apt is at 3:30. In a few hours. I will have along talk with my vet and if theres anything i can do. If not the will be put down. I will post a thread when i get back on what happens. I just fed and waterd her. shes out walking around for some free time. I dont want her to be hungry or thirsty. Comfy as possible.

Back
Top Bottom