Need help with type and sex of chameleon

A little over a week ago my daughter and I adopted a chameleon. We are new to the world of chameleons and were told the chameleon we got was a male veiled chameleon. When I showed pictures of him to the guy working at a reptile store tonight he said he thought our male was actually a female. I also posted pictures of her on this forum tonight and was told it may be a panther instead of a veiled chameleon. I wanted to post pictures of her to get a consensus of what sex and type chameleon ours is. Whatever he/she may be, we are already in love with it.

ZeeBee 3.png

ZeeBee 1.png

ZeeBee 5.png

ZeeBee 4.png

ZeeBee 2.png

Hi, congrats on your new chameleon! By the looks of it I'd say you have a male Graceful chameleon. As i understand the care for this species is pretty similar to that of veileds. He looks a bit on the thin side so I'll bet he'll enjoy loads of crickets and roaches :) I hope I've been of some help to you.

Yep, just to confirm what has already been stated, this is a male Chamaeleo gracilis. He's a little thin and slightly dehydrated, but overall looks quite good.

Chris

Since he has not been eating the last few days I ordered him some waxworms and the smaller dubia roaches online. They came in today so I'm fixing to put them in his cage to try to entice him to eat. When I misted his cage down this morning I saw him drinking some water. Before I left to pick my daughter up from school I saw him climbing down the leaves in his cage after a cricket. I'm hoping he starts eating again soon. I've been so worried about him. I'm already quite attached to the little guy.

I have great news! I showed him the new waxworms that just came in and when I put it in his food bowl he immediately went down and ate it. I have never been so happy to see one of my babies eat. I put a few in the bowl in case he was real hungry after his 9 day hunger strike.

I have great news! I showed him the new waxworms that just came in and when I put it in his food bowl he immediately went down and ate it. I have never been so happy to see one of my babies eat. I put a few in the bowl in case he was real hungry after his 9 day hunger strike.
Congratulations on breaking the hunger strike! As they say, variety is the spice of life. You might try horn worms, silk worms and super worms, as well as what you are feeding.

Before I turned off his lights tonight I looked in his food dish and he had eaten three more of the waxworms. I'm thrilled with him eating again.

Since he has not been eating the last few days I ordered him some waxworms and the smaller dubia roaches online. They came in today so I'm fixing to put them in his cage to try to entice him to eat. When I misted his cage down this morning I saw him drinking some water. Before I left to pick my daughter up from school I saw him climbing down the leaves in his cage after a cricket. I'm hoping he starts eating again soon. I've been so worried about him. I'm already quite attached to the little guy.
Its also great that you saw him drink for the first time! It took mine 2 1/2 months before he permitted me to watch him.

Back
Top Bottom