Sexing juvenile panther chameleon

YangLiang

Hello,

I was hoping someone could accurately sex my 5.5 month old panther chameleon. I got it in Shanghai around 7 weeks ago and the seller told me it was "definitely a male".

Will upload some photos.
Thank you

Attachments

• 20240125_074152.jpg
    20240125_074152.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240125_074149.jpg
    20240125_074149.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240125_074143.jpg
    20240125_074143.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240125_074135.jpg
    20240125_074135.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20240125_071952_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240125_071952_Gallery.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 19
I see a small bulge by the vent, and some coloring but I am no expert so let rest chime in before taking my word.
Usually a bulge, thicker tail and color shows are signs of boys with panthers. 😊

I initially thought I saw a hemipenes bulge, but then I looked closer. I’m thinking you have a girl. While the base of the tail does have some size to it, I’m not seeing a bulge. Also, a male would be showing his colors and patterns by now. This is my panther when he was 3 months old. You can plainly see his hemipenal bulge and his colors/patterns. Do you know what type of panther or locale you have? Ambilobe, Ambanja, Nosy Be, etc.
IMG_5060.jpeg

Thanks for your comments.

I also personally feel it's a female for the reasons you mentioned.

It's such a shame that panthers can't be so easily sexed like vieled chameleons can. I've shown Bowser to at least 30 people and it's split right down the middle about it being a male or a female for various different reasons.

One guy said, "I've 30 years experience, trust me, it's a male" whilst ignoring the lack of colour, lack of pointy snout and lack of bulge under the base of the tail.

A different seller over here in china told me that in China, they usually advertise all baby panthers as males because the price of the females is 70% lower.

If little bowser is indeed a female then I'm equally happy. He/she is a lovely pet that is fascinating to watch, feed and take care of.

Sorry, the seller told me that it's either a nosy be or a Snow varient (whatever the latter means). He then sent me this photo.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240125_093020_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240125_093020_Gallery.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 17
Miss skittles is way more advanced than I. You both are probably correct! 😊
Either way you have a beauty there!! But if it’s a girl, please have a laybin prepared. If you need advice on that, just ask for help right in this thread. Someone will help with that too.

Miss skittles is way more advanced than I. You both are probably correct! 😊
Either way you have a beauty there!! But if it’s a girl, please have a laybin prepared. If you need advice on that, just ask for help right in this thread. Someone will help with that too.
Thanks for the advice.

If anyone could share information about a laybin for female panthers, that would be most helpful.

Thanks for the advice.

If anyone could share information about a laybin for female panthers, that would be most helpful.
We’ll need to wait for the experts to better determine if you have a boy or girl. With those two locales, they may not show the same colors/patterns as other multi colored chameleons. In case you do have a girl, this is really for veiled girls, but I’ve pretty much done similar with my little girl panther. I didn’t limit her food so much as she was growing, since panthers mature much slower than veileds. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/veiled-chameleon-laying-101.2488/

We’ll need to wait for the experts to better determine if you have a boy or girl. With those two locales, they may not show the same colors/patterns as other multi colored chameleons. In case you do have a girl, this is really for veiled girls, but I’ve pretty much done similar with my little girl panther. I didn’t limit her food so much as she was growing, since panthers mature much slower than veileds. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/veiled-chameleon-laying-101.2488/
This was extremely helpful and great to read through. Thanks for sharing it.

Uhhg it's a tough one. Looks like 2 different chameleons first few pics to last one. If it looks like last pic, that's a girl. Can u post a pic where tail is shown stretch out without being blocked at all. So far I'm agreeing w miss skittles, it's a girl. A beautiful one. However if it is a girl, are u sure about the age?
Thanks for your comments.

The last picture is the colour it changes to every evening at bedtime before the lights go out. It always goes to the same leafy corner to sleep each evening. The other much darker colour is what it looks like 80% of the time it's walking around the enclosure during the day.

It has a green head and green patches on its side. Bright red around the neck and armpit area and chest. Fascinating creature.

I'm outside at the moment, but will send some more photos later.

The seller still insists that it's a male and said that it's final colours simply haven't come out yet. I personally feel that it's a female. Guess only time will tell.

At the beginning of December, the seller assured me it was 4 months old. Based on that, it's close to 6 months old.

Back
Top Bottom