My new Panther Cham not eating

bellaz

Hi everyone, I’m sure you’ve all gotten this question a million times but I just got my new Panther Chameleon from petco 3 days ago, and he’s not eating. I normally am against buying any animal from petco, but he is 9.5 months old and has been there since march so I really felt bad with him in that tiny glass cage they have chameleons in, and he’s a big boy.

I had a problem with him not drinking either, but after my monsoon mister went off this morning and I sprayed down the cage, I caught him drinking off of a branch! His urates were a bit orange yesterday so I was concerned but now I’m more so concerned about him not eating.

I brought him home 3 days ago and he ate one superworm. Since then, nothing. He’s in a 4ft by 2ft by 2ft Reptibreeze that is heavily planted, and has an Arcadia 5.0 5% linear bulb. His mister goes off 4x a day and hand misted twice (once at morning, and once at night). He is unusually friendly too. I wasn’t even going to try and hold him the first week either so he gets settled in, but every time I open the cage he runs to my hand and just wants to sit on my shoulder, climb on me and hang out. When I try and put him back in his cage he turns around and tries to go back on my arm. It’s pretty funny actually, but I make him go back even though he doesn’t want to.

I have a cup of dubia roaches, superworms and wax worms at the top, and bottom of his cage and he won’t touch any of them. I’m pretty sure all he ate at petco were crickets and I HATE crickets. My bearded dragon that I’ve had for 7 years so far, has been on a staple diet of dubia roaches, then the occasional wax worm, hornworms, silk worms, and super worms. That was the plan for my chameleon now as well, but he’s not touching the dubias. My problem with crickets is that they jump, and god forbid they got loose in my house my parents would kill me (I’m 19 and live at home) Should I put my fears aside and try crickets? I think I would have to take their back legs off though so they don’t jump everywhere and get loose.

Any tips are appreciated, I really just want him to eat. He paces the cage all day even though his humidity, temps, and uvb is accurate. Just wants nothing at all to do with food. I’ll attach some pics. It may be hard to see the white cup in one of them.

Thank you guys SO much and I’ll be anxiously awaiting any response haha

Attachments

• D698E269-55B5-49B4-A06F-A61FAE3FD141.jpeg
    D698E269-55B5-49B4-A06F-A61FAE3FD141.jpeg
    251.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 4095BB51-BDF4-4A6D-B904-2678272F695F.jpeg
    4095BB51-BDF4-4A6D-B904-2678272F695F.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 0ED5CEBC-8C01-4EF9-AD09-DFF79B5EBC2E.jpeg
    0ED5CEBC-8C01-4EF9-AD09-DFF79B5EBC2E.jpeg
    264.3 KB · Views: 52
  • B7FA95CA-0B4F-4ED1-85D6-28BB19CDDF78.jpeg
    B7FA95CA-0B4F-4ED1-85D6-28BB19CDDF78.jpeg
    334.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 0099CAF3-6FB3-4D80-92D4-0555ACC38FCC.jpeg
    0099CAF3-6FB3-4D80-92D4-0555ACC38FCC.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 99C474D7-5DCB-4E34-811A-C2941314C2CF.jpeg
    99C474D7-5DCB-4E34-811A-C2941314C2CF.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 58
  • BF2F10C4-B528-49BE-A649-670CF50DE194.jpeg
    BF2F10C4-B528-49BE-A649-670CF50DE194.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 59
Hey there welcome to the forum. I am willing to bet the issue is the feeders your using. Petco uses crickets and mealworms. Sometimes they will go for superworms instead of mealworms which a superworm is a better feeder. But you want to add crickets in... You need a feeder run. You can make your own but this will help contain the crickets. https://dragonstrand.com/constructing-a-chameleon-feeder-run/

Then if this is working you can buy one that is more pleasing to the eye. Full throttle, sunset chameleons, and tk chameleons all make one.

I would consider pulling all the fake plants and adding live plants. While panthers are not considered plant eaters they have been known to try and to chew on branches. But also live plants will help you balance humidity levels and provide natural drinking surfaces.

This site will help you as well and has all accurate info. Ask any questions you have here. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 11.41.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 11.41.38 AM.png
    887.8 KB · Views: 47
Welcome to the forum! You have a handsome little guy, thank you for rescuing him!!
Great advice given above. Just want to add, for plants, my panthers love Pothos, you can get nice ones at local stores sometimes. The leaves hold water well for drinking and they cover a lot of space quickly.

Hey there welcome to the forum. I am willing to bet the issue is the feeders your using. Petco uses crickets and mealworms. Sometimes they will go for superworms instead of mealworms which a superworm is a better feeder. But you want to add crickets in... You need a feeder run. You can make your own but this will help contain the crickets. https://dragonstrand.com/constructing-a-chameleon-feeder-run/

Then if this is working you can buy one that is more pleasing to the eye. Full throttle, sunset chameleons, and tk chameleons all make one.

I would consider pulling all the fake plants and adding live plants. While panthers are not considered plant eaters they have been known to try and to chew on branches. But also live plants will help you balance humidity levels and provide natural drinking surfaces.

This site will help you as well and has all accurate info. Ask any questions you have here. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
Thank you so much! I’ll get a golden pothos plant tomorrow and put it in his cage. I’ll be sure to repot it first with organic soil. The reason I have fake plants right now is because I have the worst luck with plants and it seems like I can only keep a cactus alive lol plants are not my specialty but if the live ones are better for him I’ll give it a shot.

About the feeder run, I found one on Amazon that can get here tomorrow. Is this picture what you guys mean? And how are the crickets unable to escape? It seems like they would be able to jump right out.

Attachments

• C090272E-EFC2-455C-9263-053E82D61A7B.png
    C090272E-EFC2-455C-9263-053E82D61A7B.png
    295.4 KB · Views: 47
Just want to say hello and welcome!! You have a beautiful bo
Welcome to the forum! You have a handsome little guy, thank you for rescuing him!!
Great advice given above. Just want to add, for plants, my panthers love Pothos, you can get nice ones at local stores sometimes. The leaves hold water well for drinking and they cover a lot of space quickly.
Thank you 🥰! I’ll get a pothos plant tomorrow and put it in his cage. I’ll be sure to repot it first with organic soil. The reason I have fake plants right now is because I have the worst luck with plants and it seems like I can only keep a cactus alive lol plants are not my specialty but if the live ones are better for him I’ll give it a shot.

Thank you so much! I’ll get a golden pothos plant tomorrow and put it in his cage. I’ll be sure to repot it first with organic soil. The reason I have fake plants right now is because I have the worst luck with plants and it seems like I can only keep a cactus alive lol plants are not my specialty but if the live ones are better for him I’ll give it a shot.

About the feeder run, I found one on Amazon that can get here tomorrow. Is this picture what you guys mean? And how are the crickets unable to escape? It seems like they would be able to jump right out.
I have such terrible luck with plants too 😅 haven’t ever been able to keep anything alive. However, it seems like the pathos and monstera I have in my guys enclosure are doing well with little effort from me. I got a small plant light and put in the other side of my double done light and they do great with it!

What’s the temperature in the basking area?

You could get a few crickets and put them in the feeder run with some other insects, so that he might eat some of the other insects while trying to get the crickets, and decide they were good.

Hi and welcome to the forum, you have a beautiful boy im glad he has a good home now. I had thought about about getting this feeder but decided to get one that goes on the screen instead. I know framchams.com has some in stock maybe go check them out.

Back
Top Bottom