My new baby veiled chameleon

It gets pretty cold in my house sometimes at night. Any suggestions on keeping it warm in the night? How cold can it get before it's bad for him? Right now it's under 50 degrees here...

I've noticed a few spots of poop on some of the leaves. That's probably a good sign that he's eaten at least a few of the crickets, no?

That is definitely a good sign! Clean it before he gets infected! Clean it always up if you could! It keeps everything and your boy healthy !
About the temps, well I think it is still ok! Where is his cage located?

Cool name! :)
Honestly, I don't think it is too cold.

At what nighttime temperature should I start to worry then? It's liable to get even colder during the winter.

Right now, with his IR lamp, he seems to be getting daytime temps between 60 and 65 F. Is this warm enough, or should I invest in one of the ceramic heater bulbs? Other ideas?

At what nighttime temperature should I start to worry then? It's liable to get even colder during the winter.

Right now, with his IR lamp, he seems to be getting daytime temps between 60 and 65 F. Is this warm enough, or should I invest in one of the ceramic heater bulbs? Other ideas?

Read the care sheet. 60-65 is a bit cold during the day. I would switch from IR to basing bulb ( I use 75 watt) and you can use an other bulb too, a 60 watt one let's say. Normal lights are more natural for them then red light.
You said he is in your bedroom, is it really under 50? Isn't it too cold for you? As far as I know it is ok if it drops to 50 at night. In the winter you heat the house, I don't think it can get colder. Can it?
I don't know what kind of heater you could use at night but others can help you for sure!

Read the care sheet. 60-65 is a bit cold during the day. I would switch from IR to basing bulb ( I use 75 watt) and you can use an other bulb too, a 60 watt one let's say. Normal lights are more natural for them then red light.
You said he is in your bedroom, is it really under 50? Isn't it too cold for you? As far as I know it is ok if it drops to 50 at night. In the winter you heat the house, I don't think it can get colder. Can it?
I don't know what kind of heater you could use at night but others can help you for sure!

Under 50 is getting a little on the chilly side for me at night. Usually I prefer it around 15C at night (59F), but I didn't realize how cold and windy it was getting outside until it was too late.

You only need a heater at night if the area where the cage is is constantly dropping into the 40's. Most houses don't get that cold

You only need a heater at night if the area where the cage is is constantly dropping into the 40's. Most houses don't get that cold

What about occasional and temporary drops to the 40's? Usually only happens when I leave the window open and the temp outside drops fairly quickly, or if I'm out and about when the temp drops. I don't have the heat on in the house during the summer.

So I picked up one of the ceramic heat emitters on Monday, now the temperature in there is above 80. I built a feeding cup along the lines of the sunny-d deathtrap that I saw referred to elsewhere on the forum, and added about a dozen gut loaded and dusted crickets. He ate two or three right away yesterday morning, but hasn't touched any since. Should I be worried, or is he likely still just getting adjusted to his space?

Humidity gets up to about 65 after I mist, then drops to 45 or 50 in between mistings.
Temperature is ~80 or 81 in the light, probably ~75 outside of the basking light.

The temps are ok, but let it cool down at night. It has to drop down to digest the food properly!

He still hasn't eaten much, I'm getting a bit worried.

He's also shedding his skin today. How long does it normally take them to shed? Could this be partly why he hasn't been eating as much?

Back
Top Bottom