melamine enclosure?

archristiana

i build commercial cabinetry for a living and we build alot of tall large melamine cabinets. " 3/4" thick white melamine". My inquiry is could I house my future cham in one of these enclosures with just a large screen door top to bottom and have the appropiate cuts outs for drainage lighting and misting in the top and bottom. i would have to have some sort of rubber mat for pooling on the bottom. Any one else have something like this for their enclosure?

Any feedback/discussion is appreciated.

I've seen alot of custom cages built on this site. I would just make sure that there is nothing that will harm the Cham, or nothing is toxic...Also make sure it can take heat from the lights and water from mistings and drippers. Goodluck

I have used Melamine for many different types of reptile cages and it works fantastic!!! Easy to clean as it has no pores for bacteria to grow in. I would however think about an open (screen/wire mesh )front,top and possibly side vents. It will be much less effort to cover vent holes with plastic rather then trying to add them later. Also as I'm sure you know any cut surface or even the edges if not sealed perfectly will buckle as soon as water gets into it. Love to see the finished product!

i build commercial cabinetry for a living and we build alot of tall large melamine cabinets. " 3/4" thick white melamine". My inquiry is could I house my future cham in one of these enclosures with just a large screen door top to bottom and have the appropiate cuts outs for drainage lighting and misting in the top and bottom. i would have to have some sort of rubber mat for pooling on the bottom. Any one else have something like this for their enclosure?

Any feedback/discussion is appreciated.

You're in Syracuse, yeah? I'm in Rochester. If you post pictures and have anything I like maybe I'll have you build me some :D

Make the front a folding mesh door, and maybe a circular cut out on the sides/back for mesh for airflow, and then you're all set. The only other concern you need to worry about is the color. White, depending on the kind of lighting you use, will be bouncing the light all over the place. Maybe get a cheap paint or acrylic and paint it brownish first. The chams will LIKE the light at the top, but definitely need some shade/darker areas in the middle/lower half to feel secure/not stress.

If you build cabinetry for a living you know melamine is not the best material to use. It will quickly deteriorate once it gets wet. It is particle board with a economy grade laminate covering. You would be better off using a good quality plywood with laminate applied over it and any exposed edges sealed. Or solid wood frames sealed and screen applied over them. It will last much longer.

Back
Top Bottom