MBD?

Mikkimingus

My female veiled chameleon (who I'm guessing turns 4 months old next week) is acting a little weird. She hangs out at the bottom of the cage a lot and when ever she's basking her out is open. A few hours ago I noticed her veil isn't quite straight. I've only had her for a little less than 2 months and don't know how petri took care of her. Could this be mbd or a burn? And why is her mouth always open? :/ I tries to take pictures of her legs so people can see if they look bent. I've not tried moving her causque incase it hurts her. I have another question too. I try to take her outside for about 10-30 minutes once a week so she can get some natural D3 exposure. And when I put her in the grass she turns green wit dark black strike and yellow spot's but she doesn't like hiss of puff up. I know they change colors based on emotion so like how does she feel about the grass.. what does the "female" sunburst mean?

Attachments

• 20160817_114911.jpg
    20160817_114911.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 200
  • 20160817_114715.jpg
    20160817_114715.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 195
  • 20160817_114919.jpg
    20160817_114919.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 191
My female veiled chameleon (who I'm guessing turns 4 months old next week) is acting a little weird. She hangs out at the bottom of the cage a lot and when ever she's basking her out is open. A few hours ago I noticed her veil isn't quite straight. I've only had her for a little less than 2 months and don't know how petri took care of her. Could this be mbd or a burn? And why is her mouth always open? :/ I tries to take pictures of her legs so people can see if they look bent. I've not tried moving her causque incase it hurts her. I have another question too. I try to take her outside for about 10-30 minutes once a week so she can get some natural D3 exposure. And when I put her in the grass she turns green wit dark black strike and yellow spot's but she doesn't like hiss of puff up. I know they change colors based on emotion so like how does she feel about the grass.. what does the "female" sunburst mean?
Her mouth is open* not out

Of course

I have a female veiled chameleon who I'm guessing to be almost 4 months old, I've had her for a little under 2 months
I handle her every day come feeding time. I open the door and she crawls on top of the door and she sits on my arm and eats
Every day I feed her 10 crickets exept wensdays and Saturdays I feed 5 crickets and 3 super worms. I heard you should feed females a little less so they are less likely to produce eggs.
I sprinkle calcium with out D3 every day exept the first and 15th I use reptivite with D3 and some other vitamins
I mist and have a dropper going. I mist it when ever I see the leaves look dry or the humidity is low. I have seen her drink right from the dropper but only 3 times maybe? She does bite the leaves (she has an umbrella plant so I don't know if she eats them because they are wet or if she's eating them for food purposes) her poop is usually about 2/3rds brown and the rest is whitish circles. She's never been tested for parasites.
The only history I can think of is she came from petco. Lord knows if she was even supplemented. She was the smallest one in the cage of 5 and she might not have been getting enough food.

Her cage is a zoo med screen cage, 16/16/30 I do plan on getting the 18/18/36 in a year or so when she's stopped growing since she's fairly active and likes to climb around the walls and top. One half on one wall is covered in cling wrap by her fake plant that she likes and I mist that a lot to help with humidity
I have one heat bulb and one D3 bulb. I want to get a lower wattage though because her basking spot gets around 100 at the his heat point when she is on her log. And she crawls on the top so it is probably even hotter. I turn the lights on when I wake up at 7-8 and turn them off around 10 before I shower.
I don't know the lowest night temperature but the basking spot is usually 90/100. The bottom is usually around 70-76. I have a digital thermometer
Her humidity is usually around 40 unless I mist the cage and it usually goes up to around 70 or 80. I just use a petco humidity gauge
She has 1 live plant called an umbrella plant. I've seen other chameleon owners on YouTube use them in cages and she loves it. It's where she sleeps nearly every night.
Her cage is in my bedroom on my night stand. It's not near any vents and my vents don't work anyway. I onto had to use the fan once or twice while I've had her but only at night
I'm located in northern Ohio, about 20 minutes south
Could you fill out the how to ask for help sheet?

Of course

I have a female veiled chameleon who I'm guessing to be almost 4 months old, I've had her for a little under 2 months
I handle her every day come feeding time. I open the door and she crawls on top of the door and she sits on my arm and eats
Every day I feed her 10 crickets exept wensdays and Saturdays I feed 5 crickets and 3 super worms. I heard you should feed females a little less so they are less likely to produce eggs.
I sprinkle calcium with out D3 every day exept the first and 15th I use reptivite with D3 and some other vitamins
I mist and have a dropper going. I mist it when ever I see the leaves look dry or the humidity is low. I have seen her drink right from the dropper but only 3 times maybe? She does bite the leaves (she has an umbrella plant so I don't know if she eats them because they are wet or if she's eating them for food purposes) her poop is usually about 2/3rds brown and the rest is whitish circles. She's never been tested for parasites.
The only history I can think of is she came from petco. Lord knows if she was even supplemented. She was the smallest one in the cage of 5 and she might not have been getting enough food.

Her cage is a zoo med screen cage, 16/16/30 I do plan on getting the 18/18/36 in a year or so when she's stopped growing since she's fairly active and likes to climb around the walls and top. One half on one wall is covered in cling wrap by her fake plant that she likes and I mist that a lot to help with humidity
I have one heat bulb and one D3 bulb. I want to get a lower wattage though because her basking spot gets around 100 at the his heat point when she is on her log. And she crawls on the top so it is probably even hotter. I turn the lights on when I wake up at 7-8 and turn them off around 10 before I shower.
I don't know the lowest night temperature but the basking spot is usually 90/100. The bottom is usually around 70-76. I have a digital thermometer
Her humidity is usually around 40 unless I mist the cage and it usually goes up to around 70 or 80. I just use a petco humidity gauge
She has 1 live plant called an umbrella plant. I've seen other chameleon owners on YouTube use them in cages and she loves it. It's where she sleeps nearly every night.
Her cage is in my bedroom on my night stand. It's not near any vents and my vents don't work anyway. I onto had to use the fan once or twice while I've had her but only at night
I'm located in northern Ohio, about 20 minutes south of Cleveland

Here is her set up

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    300.5 KB · Views: 158
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    300.5 KB · Views: 126
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 119
Your basking spot is waaay too hot, it should only be around 84 for a female, for her entire life. Around 5-6 months you should start reducing her feeders to about 6-8 prey items every other day.

Your basking spot is waaay too hot, it should only be around 84 for a female, for her entire life. Around 5-6 months you should start reducing her feeders to about 6-8 prey items every other day.
I though it was a little high, it's the heat bulb that came in the chameleon kit from zoo med. trust me I can't wait until I can reduce her food, crickets get expensive over time. Any thoughts on possible mbd?

I need her for a bio 2 project which starts ehhh end of October beginning of November time frame and I live up north and it will be cold and maybe even snow like last year. She has to go to the school and I plan on having 2 enclosures all set up (one at home one in the class room) should i bring her to and from school with me every day? I'm kinda scared to leave her in the building at night and fear it will be too stressful handling her 3 times a day. She will have a blanket or bag over the cage during the other periods of the day so she won't have to see all the people through out the day but should I bring her home at night?

I need her for a bio 2 project which starts ehhh end of October beginning of November time frame and I live up north and it will be cold and maybe even snow like last year. She has to go to the school and I plan on having 2 enclosures all set up (one at home one in the class room) should i bring her to and from school with me every day? I'm kinda scared to leave her in the building at night and fear it will be too stressful handling her 3 times a day. She will have a blanket or bag over the cage during the other periods of the day so she won't have to see all the people through out the day but should I bring her home at night?

@Mikkimingus that seems like an awful lot of movement for her. So essentially, and correct me if I am wrong, she would be allowed approximately 12 hrs in one enclosure before being taken out, placed in a box, driven to the school, and placed in another enclosure for a few hours only to again be taken out, placed in a box, and driven home? And this is done Mon-Fri? How long will this go on for - a few days, a week, a month etc? I can't say exactly what is right for you and your chameleon, but I can tell you that I wouldn't move my own chameleon that often. These guys seem to get stressed often, even if you (we) can't really see the signs of it. Most don't like being handled - tolerating it and enjoying it are separate things. All that movement seems like a lot of handling, and VERY little time to decompress after the stress of handling, boxing, driving, and relocating. Not to mention the general stress from all the people, whether or not she has a blanket thrown over her cage. Stress also (from what I have read) weakens the immune system, which leaves them at greater risk for illness, and overall, stress can drastically reduce their lifespan. Also to top it off, and again correct me if I am wrong, you originally came here afraid she may have MBD. IF (key word) she does she need a treatment plan, rehabilitation, and time to heal she will already most likely be stressed from the illness. I, personally, am just concerned that all of this extra movement on top of a potential health issue may cause her to become chronically stressed.

I, actually, wouldn't move my healthy chameleon that much out of fear of stressing him, BUT he is a very temperamental guy who is quite the drama queen. I do not know how hardy your girl is or anything of the sort. But that is just MY opinion - and I am not an expert.

Also, if you don't mind me asking (as curiosity got the better of me) what type of "project" are you doing with her?

P.S. You have a beautiful little girl there! :love:

Last edited:
@Mikkimingus that seems like an awful lot of movement for her. So essentially, and correct me if I am wrong, she would be allowed approximately 12 hrs in one enclosure before being taken out, placed in a box, driven to the school, and placed in another enclosure for a few hours only to again be taken out, placed in a box, and driven home? And this is done Mon-Fri? How long will this go on for - a few days, a week, a month etc? I can't say exactly what is right for you and your chameleon, but I can tell you that I wouldn't move my own chameleon that often. These guys seem to get stressed often, even if you (we) can't really see the signs of it. Most don't like being handled - tolerating it and enjoying it are separate things. All that movement seems like a lot of handling, and VERY little time to decompress after the stress of handling, boxing, driving, and relocating. Not to mention the general stress from all the people, whether or not she has a blanket thrown over her cage. Stress also (from what I have read) weakens the immune system, which leaves them at greater risk for illness, and overall, stress can drastically reduce their lifespan. Also to top it off, and again correct me if I am wrong, you originally came here afraid she may have MBD. IF (key word) she does she need a treatment plan, rehabilitation, and time to heal she will already most likely be stressed from the illness. I, personally, am just concerned that all of this extra movement on top of a potential health issue may cause her to become chronically stressed.

I, actually, wouldn't move my healthy chameleon that much out of fear of stressing him, BUT he is a very temperamental guy who is quite the drama queen. I do not know how hardy your girl is or anything of the sort. But that is just MY opinion - and I am not an expert.

Also, if you don't mind me asking (as curiosity got the better of me) what type of "project" are you doing with her?
This is why I'm handling her every day when I hand feed her to in sorts "tame" her. When ever I open the door she just crawls and sits on the end of the door and she did it again this morning. She's shy but curious and seems more active for a chameleon. I have her crawling around right now on my bed and she's a warm light green with faint stripes and doesn't mind when I put my hand in front of her for her to crawl on. She does get confused when she tries to climb up my iPad. I just wanted to know if a leaning crest was a sign of early mbd. She has no broken bones or anything that I know of and her eyes aren't sunken in. I did notice this morning when she was going to the bathroom her poop was very liquidy and wondered if that was another sign. The project is basically getting a reptile and keeping it alive for about a month and teaching it a trick. I already know her trick is gonna be when I open the door she goes out on her own since she already does that

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 143
That's a lot of stress for a cham, like others have said, as far as MBD I really don't see it, some have a bent caspue, you mentioned the stool was runny have you fed it any wild caught insects? If the stool continues to be runny you may want to find a vet that KNOWS about chameleon.

Sometimes a chameleon will come "running" out just because there isn't enough foliage in the enclosure or the enclosure isn't high enough off the ground. Not sure if that's the case here. As for the project, could you do something with a video project that would offer the results without the added stress? You could bring the chameleon in for the final demonstration (even though I wouldn't) and make it clear to everyone that they aren't generally handled much due to stress so everyone wont try to hold her, and still do the project.

I don't know much about MBD so I can't in good faith give any answer to that, although I do trust what others here are saying in that regards. But, you did ALSO ask about the amount of handling for this project and, MBD or not, I still think that is too much handling/movement (and thus stress) for a chameleon.

That's a lot of stress for a cham, like others have said, as far as MBD I really don't see it, some have a bent caspue, you mentioned the stool was runny have you fed it any wild caught insects? If the stool continues to be runny you may want to find a vet that KNOWS about chameleon.
Never wild caught insects, I buy them from vita bugs and gut load them rapashy bug burger. I just wondered if she maybe had it at the pet store and as I dusted it disappeared and as she's getting older you can see the bent casque now. Her cage is on a night stand so it starts like 3 feet off the ground and there's nothing around her cage so I dunno what she'd be running to that would be better foliage. That is a really good idea with the video thing and I didn't plan on others holding her they will all have their own reptiles anyway. I get kinda jealous when others hold her anyway

Back
Top Bottom