My New Baby Veiled Cham

This is a more visual example of my enclosure right now for Moona. I covered it around with a tapestry to conceal her privacy. everything in or on the cage came from the kit. 😊is there anything I can do to make it more better for her until I get the rest ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 29
This is a more visual example of my enclosure right now for Moona. I covered it around with a tapestry to conceal her privacy. everything in or on the cage came from the kit. 😊is there anything I can do to make it more better for her until I get the rest ?
Getting the correct uvb is essential and something that can’t wait. Incredible Pets has the correct lights. The chain petstores (especially Petco) do not. Pick up some bsfl (pheonix worms, calciworms) while you’re there. Those are great feeders. Go to Walmart, Lowes or Home Depot and get a nice schefflera and pothos plants. Remove the ReptiCarpet and keep the floor bare. Put the cleaned plants in and wind the vines that you have around them. You can hang the pothos by using fine wire thru the top and have it secured to something that fully spans the width and hangs over a bit of the top. Like my pic below (which is not for a chameleon).
IMG_5389.jpeg

I get a lot of my stuff from my local PetSmart. They carry Arcadia equipment which is high quality. She won’t die without a proper UVB bulb for a few days but the heat is something you want to get right asap. Too hot can leave burns. Too cold and she can get sick.

You’ve got some time before you’ll need to worry about her laying eggs. They need to be at least 5-6 months old and there’s warnings that it’s soon to be happening. I won’t go over it right now as it’s more important to get her basic husbandry down first. Don’t stress! Breathe. Besides getting a lower wattage basking bulb, you can always raise the basking light a few inches above the screen top. This is always suggested for little ones who can and will walk upside down along the top for fun and at risk for getting burns. Get some nice plants and prepare them for her. I forgot to give this link. https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/ Give her places to take shade and hide and nice clean big leaves to drink from. A few weeks ago Walmart had some nice full pothos for just under $9. They may still have some. Start looking outside for some natural branches to use. Oak is great. Avoid pine, eucalyptus and anything else with odor or sap. Here’s a couple of pics of how I set up without dragon ledges. Of course I added more later - I just wanted to show the basics.
View attachment 346175View attachment 346176View attachment 346177
Absolutely ! when I tried putting in some sticks I think I scared her which made her go all the way to the top of the cage , and she was getting close to the screen and light bulb which freaked me out so I stopped and left her alone but she moved a little lower. I found some sticks around my sisters house and I would like to find more but I see none, the enclosure is small so not a lot can fit in there but I’m gonna try to stuff it as appropriately as possible.
Getting the correct uvb is essential and something that can’t wait. Incredible Pets has the correct lights. The chain petstores (especially Petco) do not. Pick up some bsfl (pheonix worms, calciworms) while you’re there. Those are great feeders. Go to Walmart, Lowes or Home Depot and get a nice schefflera and pothos plants. Remove the ReptiCarpet and keep the floor bare. Put the cleaned plants in and wind the vines that you have around them. You can hang the pothos by using fine wire thru the top and have it secured to something that fully spans the width and hangs over a bit of the top. Like my pic below (which is not for a chameleon).
View attachment 346178
Got it ! So I will stop by Walmart and Home Depot today for plants , wire , hooks, and clear shower curtain. im not near my incredible pets because that’s in Melbourne and I’m in Merritt island so that would delay me being able to get the correct uvb and those feeder worms, plus the mister system, and hygrometer. if Walmart does not have one, I was going to stop at Pet supermarket , would they be a reliable source to check, I’m close to one of them. If not what should my next plan for getting those lights be and the hydration going for her ?

Absolutely ! when I tried putting in some sticks I think I scared her which made her go all the way to the top of the cage , and she was getting close to the screen and light bulb which freaked me out so I stopped and left her alone but she moved a little lower. I found some sticks around my sisters house and I would like to find more but I see none, the enclosure is small so not a lot can fit in there but I’m gonna try to stuff it as appropriately as possible.

Got it ! So I will stop by Walmart and Home Depot today for plants , wire , hooks, and clear shower curtain. im not near my incredible pets because that’s in Melbourne and I’m in Merritt island so that would delay me being able to get the correct uvb and those feeder worms, plus the mister system, and hygrometer. if Walmart does not have one, I was going to stop at Pet supermarket , would they be a reliable source to check, I’m close to one of them. If not what should my next plan for getting those lights be and the hydration going for her ?
I have a ReptiRain system sitting here…never tried it out though so I don’t know that it works. I did just clean it last month. I can see if it works and if it does, it’s yours. I also may have some plant clippings that I can give you and some other stuff that I don’t need or use..misc hygrometer or thermometers. I have a discoid roach colony, so can give you some of those to try and a little feeding station. For both of our safety, I only meet in very public areas and if you are under 18, I ask that you have a responsible adult with you. Let me know if this is something you have interest in.

…and the ReptiRain doesn’t work. It powers on but doesn’t spray. 🤷‍♀️ Oh well.
That’s alright I appreciate you trying lol, and I am also 19 , will be 20 soon. My work and school schedule is kind of wacky , i live in Melbourne so I rarely ever come down to Merritt island , Rockledge, or Cocoa unless visiting family, so that would be difficult trying to find the right time to meet. How about I see what I can get for my babe today and whatever else I don’t have access to i will definitely ask For help or order it offline with those amazing sites you and the others sent.🖤🫶

Thank you , I am going to get most of what I can for her today like the dripper and maybe the mist system, timer outlets , uvb and basking lights, hopefully I can get the plant lights soon. I am concerned because it's taking a bit to get everything I need for her and I'm not to sure how long she's able to last without the proper things, is she going to be alright while waiting for the rest of her materials and also should I keep her in there while I'm adding and moving things or should I take her out and put her inside a box or a plastic container with holes for ventilation?
i just want to add: don’t freak out. If you need to, prioritize. Buy the most important things first. Start with the UVB and basking light. You can make a homemade dripper. Timers can wait as long as you are good about keeping a schedule with turning them off and on. Deep breath. You’re doing good. You came for advice and are taking it and making changes you need. If you need help prioritizing what to buy first (if you don’t go with neptunes kit) let us know and someone will help you out ☺️

That’s alright I appreciate you trying lol, and I am also 19 , will be 20 soon. My work and school schedule is kind of wacky , i live in Melbourne so I rarely ever come down to Merritt island , Rockledge, or Cocoa unless visiting family, so that would be difficult trying to find the right time to meet. How about I see what I can get for my babe today and whatever else I don’t have access to i will definitely ask For help or order it offline with those amazing sites you and the others sent.🖤🫶
If I can be of help in any other way, just ask. :) Definitely start asking questions about the whole egg laying thing when it’s time. You’ll know as your pretty little girl will become even prettier and start developing yellows/oranges and teal. That is when she has reached her reproductive maturity and is starting to think about finding a cute boy.

Yea I went to my
I get a lot of my stuff from my local PetSmart. They carry Arcadia equipment which is high quality. She won’t die without a proper UVB bulb for a few days but the heat is something you want to get right asap. Too hot can leave burns. Too cold and she can get si

i just want to add: don’t freak out. If you need to, prioritize. Buy the most important things first. Start with the UVB and basking light. You can make a homemade dripper. Timers can wait as long as you are good about keeping a schedule with turning them off and on. Deep breath. You’re doing good. You came for advice and are taking it and making changes you need. If you need help prioritizing what to buy first (if you don’t go with neptunes kit) let us know and someone will help you out ☺️
Every time I get a reply from you guys I get so so happy , thank you so much for understanding my stress. i Got some more things for her today but the pet store I went to does not have all I need I still need to find a hygrometer and the linear uvb, I got some plants for her from Home Depot ( it was really hard to look for the right ones because they don’t put them in specific orders and it was getting pretty dark out so I was running around in there lol trying my best ) golden pothos , umbrella trees , and the last on is a vigoro but they said that was like the pothos so I got it. I couldn’t find small filler plants, or any other one I wrote down ( also forgot my notebook at home but I remembered what I could) the workers didn’t know where anything was because their vendors just place them anywhere, but they tried their best to direct me. I got her a new basking lamp that is 75w, a day/night timer , crickets and super worms , and the little dripper. i wanted to try going to incredible pets in Melbourne near my home when I leave my sisters house but I do not know if I will be home in time , I don’t know whether to wait until I get to the store or order the uvb and plant lights? I might try to order the Neptune the chameleon kit this month or next. ( I would absolutely accept advice on prioritizing what is needed)

side note: I set up a vet appointment for Moona this Wednesday 😊.

If I can be of help in any other way, just ask. :) Definitely start asking questions about the whole egg laying thing when it’s time. You’ll know as your pretty little girl will become even prettier and start developing yellows/oranges and teal. That is when she has reached her reproductive maturity and is starting to think about finding a cute boy.
Of course! I will be in touch and updating anything. I honestly did not know that they HAD to lay eggs , I was thinking it was only going to happen if I breed her….but now that just changes my whole perspective and makes me even more nervous , I’m gonna have to be super momma lol. I am definitely excited to see her develop and show me her personality through her colors.☺️

Yea I went to my

Every time I get a reply from you guys I get so so happy , thank you so much for understanding my stress. i Got some more things for her today but the pet store I went to does not have all I need I still need to find a hygrometer and the linear uvb, I got some plants for her from Home Depot ( it was really hard to look for the right ones because they don’t put them in specific orders and it was getting pretty dark out so I was running around in there lol trying my best ) golden pothos , umbrella trees , and the last on is a vigoro but they said that was like the pothos so I got it. I couldn’t find small filler plants, or any other one I wrote down ( also forgot my notebook at home but I remembered what I could) the workers didn’t know where anything was because their vendors just place them anywhere, but they tried their best to direct me. I got her a new basking lamp that is 75w, a day/night timer , crickets and super worms , and the little dripper. i wanted to try going to incredible pets in Melbourne near my home when I leave my sisters house but I do not know if I will be home in time , I don’t know whether to wait until I get to the store or order the uvb and plant lights? I might try to order the Neptune the chameleon kit this month or next. ( I would absolutely accept advice on prioritizing what is needed)

side note: I set up a vet appointment for Moona this Wednesday 😊.
Your plants will fill out. I’m the meantime, for more coverage for Moona, you can hang the fake ones on the outside of her enclosure. That’s what I do. I’m not the best with plants 🥴 but I’m getting better. Many of us were in similar situations when we started so we all understand. Check Amazon for a hygrometer. A lot of times they sell them in multi packs for cheap. I try to use things that are not branded for reptiles of possible because they are cheaper. Not everything will be like this, but basking bulbs, thermometers and hygrometers will be more expensive when they are branded for reptiles. Regular, non branded household ones work just as well when you are on a budget and first starting.

Your plants will fill out. I’m the meantime, for more coverage for Moona, you can hang the fake ones on the outside of her enclosure. That’s what I do. I’m not the best with plants 🥴 but I’m getting better. Many of us were in similar situations when we started so we all understand. Check Amazon for a hygrometer. A lot of times they sell them in multi packs for cheap. I try to use things that are not branded for reptiles of possible because they are cheaper. Not everything will be like this, but basking bulbs, thermometers and hygrometers will be more expensive when they are branded for reptiles. Regular, non branded household ones work just as well when you are on a budget and first starting.
Wow thanks for the tip, I will definitely put it to use. 🫶

I wanted to quickly shed some concern on the fact that ive been seeing moona occasionally rub her head or face on the vines i have in there for her, know what this could be ?

If you’re waiting a while on the uvb, I know you are letting her adjust in her for a bit and that’s is great but maybe you could take her outside for a few minutes for natural sunlight? I say this with extreme caution because you cannot take your eyes off of them and the temps have to be good, watch for birds, etc. so many things to worry about but just trying to think outside the box for proper uvb.
If that’s not a good idea I think one of the more experienced keepers will chime in and say don’t do it.
So happy you’re here in no time you’ll be addicted! They capture our heart so quickly! 💝

I wanted to quickly shed some concern on the fact that ive been seeing moona occasionally rub her head or face on the vines i have in there for her, know what this could be ?
She is probably getting ready to shed. It seems and looks to be quite an itchy process. Young chams shed everywhere all at once like ‘poof’. Older chams can shed a body area here and another later and it goes slower.

If you’re waiting a while on the uvb, I know you are letting her adjust in her for a bit and that’s is great but maybe you could take her outside for a few minutes for natural sunlight? I say this with extreme caution because you cannot take your eyes off of them and the temps have to be good, watch for birds, etc. so many things to worry about but just trying to think outside the box for proper uvb.
If that’s not a good idea I think one of the more experienced keepers will chime in and say don’t do it.
So happy you’re here in no time you’ll be addicted! They capture our heart so quickly! 💝
yes , I have been stressing about the uvb and it frustrated me when my pet store did not have it. I don’t know how to approach her or take her out because it makes me nervous. She has a vet appointment tomorrow and I also have to move her out of the enclosure today because we’re driving again and I don’t know what to put her in or how to get her out without her running away or flaring up 😅😅🥲.

She is probably getting ready to shed. It seems and looks to be quite an itchy process. Young chams shed everywhere all at once like ‘poof’. Older chams can shed a body area here and another later and it goes slower.
Thank you so much , 🖤🫶🥹
I thought that maybe she was reacting a certain way to the enclosure because it’s not set up correctly yet. And she would also squint her eyes and occasionally sleep during the day.

Ahem….my chameleon was taken by a hawk from a small tree while I was mowing the lawn nearby. I never saw hawks until that day. But really I just didn’t notice them because they fly so high.
Aww i feel deeply devastated this happened to you, it is not easy to lose a life in any way, shape, or form, but thank you for telling me this so that it helps me be more cautious and save my chams life <33🫶💋

Back
Top Bottom