male lets female eat first?

Dankmeleon

i have been breeding reggie all day with my various females.

he had a very light meal yesterday. I know he is starving. i put a nice size dubia in the cage with him and female for him to eat, and i put it on the side he was on, instead of hitting it right away like he always does, he let the female come all the way over and eat it almost like he was offering her the food because he knew she was going to becoming gravid after they mated.

i put another one in and the same thing.

this is not usually his behaviour at all and although i can't conclude anything based on this observation it makes me wonder if anyone has seen similar innate instincts like this in breeding chams, it really surprised me how gentle he is with females, but my only comparison is to veileds and they are obviously a lot more aggressive.

and on a final note he had bred one time and this was right before his second breeding sesh of the day with female number 2, which it also made me wonder if he could differentiate between the two females because they were almost identical and he showed a lot of hesitation before going in like either a. it was the same female he just got off of and was not trying to breed with her again or of course b. he was just taking a little break lol

either way interesting would love to hear others experiences i find it so fascinated how advanced these creatures are in the most subtle ways!

Thats pretty cool

Maybe he is one of those gentlemen Chams:D
Or just trying distract them an lull them into his trap.:eek:

Neither wind, nor rain, or snow will stop us from our given task ( or something like that)
Good luck with Love Connections!

OPI

Go read the "My Profile" of luckykarma. Look at the album and story about the veiled cham Karma and his wife Ginger. He always let Ginger eat first.

on the other hand, could it be that the female is the boss of the territory?
She could be a dominatrix :p

I've seen this behavior in my melleri. I think it's a way for a male to keep a receptive female in his territory and therefore away from other males.

that may be, but i believe its out of respect not physical dominance, because he out weighs her by a considerable amount and could easily constrict her which is why i'm keeping an eye out, where as i don't believe she could kill him in any way possible except maybe injuring his eyes which is just terrible and i don't even want to think about

good thoughts thanks for the input any other stories appreciated

I've heard this story before

Treat em out to dinner...then a movie...then coffee...next thing you know you have 35 kids running around the place!!! :p

I've also read how in the wild they will stay with one mate for life and that the male will always allow the female to eat first.

Back
Top Bottom