Looking to buy our second Cham, Sambava.

vermeleon

So in short, we have been searching the Internet looking for our first Panther. We finally found a Sambava on Backwaterreptiles.com and emailed them if they have any pics of them before we purchase. They replied saying they don't have the man power to take pics of animals people are looking to buy. Is this normal practice? We just feel spending $250-$300 on a Cham and not getting a photo of them shouldn't be asking too much. The other reason for asking is because their photo of the Sambava is more on the green shade than the normal all red/yellow shade.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    287.8 KB · Views: 95
Can you atleast get a picture of the sire to the clutch.
And if your expecting a beautiful yellow sambava as an adult it's extremely important that the yellow characteristic is in the bloodline. Even then there's no guarantees what you will end up with but it does increase your chances.

Backwater reptiles are a high volume dealer, and it is a crap shoot as to what you will receive. I have herd real horror stories about these guys. Some have bought a male only too receive a female without a return guarantee. I myself bought a yellow Niger uromastix and it had some tail rot. You can get a decent animal from them only if you bought it at the right time, "like I said a crap shoot". If I were spending that much money for animal I don't think I would take the chance. I think you would be much better served with a more reputable breeder even if you have to spend a little more. have you looked at the site sponsors or the classifieds on hear? I hear Florida Chams is good. Good luck:)

Last edited:
I'd recommend u get from a smaller breeder preferably from the area where u live mine is great very reliable and cares he's also a herbatoligist so if I ever have any issues he comes right out cares very much about animals I'd recommend them if you were in Canada they are Canadian exotics very reliable honest and stand behind there animals

You no what I find funny that pic they sent u is a random pic from the internet lol google sambava Panther chams and that comes up lol lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 96
If you look under that pic is clearly says backwater reptiles. They might be the most trusted company but I'd have a hard time believing they steal pics and post them on there page.
On another note chameleons international has a beautiful WC adult male for sale. Checkout there Facebook.

I would like to point something about Sambavas. I owned two of them and their resting colors are normally green with the dark maroonish colored bars. They also usually have a "u bar" which is one of the things that distiguishes them from a red bar ambilobe. They can look similar. The u bar is when the first and second bar connect to form a u shape. It does not extend down to the bottom of the stomach. You might want to look for that feature when purchasing. They do not normally look yellow and red until they fire up or mine would get like that when I took them outside and it was hot, or when they were sleeping. It is pretty characteristic for them to not be yellow all the time, so if you are looking for that you are probably not going to find it! I got one of my Sambava's from Kammerflage Kreations. You might want to check out their page and see if they have any available. There are a few other of our site sponsors who breed them also.

I also bought my Nosy Be Panther from Kammerflage Kreations. They are awesome to deal with and if you call you actually get a knowledgable person on the phone. They have pics on their site of the Sire and the baby Cham you are buying. The picture is important!
I also hear that FLchams are great to deal with.

Thanks everyone for your help. This is our first internet purchase and you can imagine our nervousness about it.

I would go with one of site sponsors. You really cannot go wrong with them. Not all sell Sambavas though. You have to check out each one individually to find out which locale or species they sell.

Back
Top Bottom