He's here! Introducing little Gideon

He is adorable and I love his name!
Thank you! And a quick update - the vet was back from convention and saw him last week. He does have parasites. But - he loves the medication (if any of you have ever seen impractical jokers, I’m about to rename him Gatto after Joe Gatto on the show- nom nom nom, lol) so - so far it’s been an ok process to treat him. Otherwise the vet says he looks great. We aren’t starting on the new enclosure until he gets a clean bill of health so we are just taking it a day at a time. He’s really adorable though - my daughter is OBSESSED with him. Here’s a few newer photos of the little dude.

Attachments

• IMG_6916.jpeg
    IMG_6916.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6866.jpeg
    IMG_6866.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6909.jpeg
    IMG_6909.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 33
Thank you! And a quick update - the vet was back from convention and saw him last week. He does have parasites. But - he loves the medication (if any of you have ever seen impractical jokers, I’m about to rename him Gatto after Joe Gatto on the show- nom nom nom, lol) so - so far it’s been an ok process to treat him. Otherwise the vet says he looks great. We aren’t starting on the new enclosure until he gets a clean bill of health so we are just taking it a day at a time. He’s really adorable though - my daughter is OBSESSED with him. Here’s a few newer photos of the little dude.
What parasites did he come back positive for?

What parasites did he come back positive for?
I can’t remember off the top of my head, and it didn’t say on the receipt. They saw parasites when we were at the vet office and they gave him the first of two treatments for that one. We go back on Tuesday for the second dose, and then we were notified yesterday that they had sent out For further testing and that had parasites in it as well so my daughter picked up that medication yesterday and hast to give him another dose tomorrow. I’ll have to look at the bottle in the fridge and see if it says on there. Otherwise I’ll be talking to him next Tuesday.

I can’t remember off the top of my head, and it didn’t say on the receipt. They saw parasites when we were at the vet office and they gave him the first of two treatments for that one. We go back on Tuesday for the second dose, and then we were notified yesterday that they had sent out For further testing and that had parasites in it as well so my daughter picked up that medication yesterday and hast to give him another dose tomorrow. I’ll have to look at the bottle in the fridge and see if it says on there. Otherwise I’ll be talking to him next Tuesday.
You will want to know what parasites he has, some of them require a lot more than just taking the medication.

You will want to know what parasites he has, some of them require a lot more than just taking the medication.
I’d like to think a vet that specializes in reptiles and exotics would tell me if I needed to do something else…no? What should I be looking into doing for him? I don’t want to be kickin back if I need to be doing something for him.

I’d like to think a vet that specializes in reptiles and exotics would tell me if I needed to do something else…no? What should I be looking into doing for him? I don’t want to be kickin back if I need to be doing something for him.
It depends on what parasite he has. Reach out to your vet and see what it is first then let us know. Between all the people on here I’m sure someone can give you guidance.

No, not always. And depending on the parasites he has cleaning the cage is different because the eggs (oocysts) are different. Some you can just pull everything and clean well by spraying the plants down really well in a shower and really spraying down all the branches. Some you have to deal with stripping the cage of everything porous such as branches and plants and throw them away. Then clean the cage with 40 volume liquid peroxide like they use in hair processing. We always hope that it is not the bad parasite that people have to deal with. Due to the stress, cleaning, follow up fecals, and loss of money on stuff you have to toss.

Without proper cleaning per specific parasite you risk reinfection as the oocysts come out in the fecal and stick to surfaces the fecal hits. Cham then drinks or eats off of that spot and reinfection begins.

No, not always. And depending on the parasites he has cleaning the cage is different because the eggs (oocysts) are different. Some you can just pull everything and clean well by spraying the plants down really well in a shower and really spraying down all the branches. Some you have to deal with stripping the cage of everything porous such as branches and plants and throw them away. Then clean the cage with 40 volume liquid peroxide like they use in hair processing. We always hope that it is not the bad parasite that people have to deal with. Due to the stress, cleaning, follow up fecals, and loss of money on stuff you have to toss.

Without proper cleaning per specific parasite you risk reinfection as the oocysts come out in the fecal and stick to surfaces the fecal hits. Cham then drinks or eats off of that spot and reinfection begins.
Good to know - very helpful, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom