Live Plants for Baby Cham cage

ReptileLove18

Established Member
we got a couple of live plants that said reptile terrarium safe at petco the other day, unfortunately they didnt have tags saying what they are. i am wondering if anyone can identify if these are some of the plants safe to use in chameleon cages. i have a list of safe plants to use but it doesnt have pictures so i cant be sure and if im not sure im not gonna put it in with our baby!!
https://www.chameleonforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=71712&stc=1&d=1358989762
https://www.chameleonforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=71713&stc=1&d=1358989813
https://www.chameleonforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=71714&stc=1&d=1358989865

Attachments

• 102_0019.jpg
    102_0019.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 241
  • 102_0018.jpg
    102_0018.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 212
  • 102_0021.jpg
    102_0021.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 212
okay i found a dracaena on the non toxic plant list in the chameleon handbook i have :) yay!
did not find philodendron or anthurium on there so at this point that wont be going into his cage
thank you both!!!

Ive used Anthuriums and Philodendrons of all types in living dartfrog vivariums as well as for my U. phantasticus for well over a decade. They are not toxic.

But if your buying those from lowes, HD or walmart I'd be more worried about the pesticides and fertilizers in them hurting your feeders and cham in cage. They need to be sterilized well.

I usually pull them up roots and all, remove the soil and give them a 10 minute soak in 10% bleach water, then a good rinsing and replant in an organic soil mix.

Ive used Anthuriums and Philodendrons of all types in living dartfrog vivariums as well as for my U. phantasticus for well over a decade. They are not toxic.

But if your buying those from lowes, HD or walmart I'd be more worried about the pesticides and fertilizers in them hurting your feeders and cham in cage. They need to be sterilized well.

I usually pull them up roots and all, remove the soil and give them a 10 minute soak in 10% bleach water, then a good rinsing and replant in an organic soil mix.

i got them at petco while i was getting vines for his cage, it said on the label that no pesticides were used and were reptile save. ill go ahead and sterilize them just to be safe tho! what is an U.phantasticus?

I believe philodendron are toxic, though pothos is not. They look similar. I'm trying to decipher which I have at the moment, too. I read online that pothos don't have the white running through the leaves but am waiting for confirmation here before I put it in.

It looks like a Philodendron to me as well. I know they have a bit more juice running through their veins so that could cause irritation if your chameleon was to take a bite out of a stem. Best bet would be to keep it outside of the enclosure and use it as a free range plant under close supervision. Your call though!

Pothos does infact have white and yellow bleeding into the leaves, It comes in both solid green, varigated, and mostly white in the queen marbled form. Ive used Philodendron around many herps over the years and never saw them eat it.

I need to invest in some new live plants. I like the look of them. The chams should love it.

ok thanks everyone for all the input! i think im going to go to a nursery just to be sure on what they are because im a paranoid cham mom and want as many opinions on it as possible before i put them into his cage! :) ill let everyone know what they say, i have taken all your opinions into account but i gotta be safe! any ideas on other plants that are safe and manageable for cham cages would be awesome :D

Back
Top Bottom