Lilly the parsonii passed away :(

Very sorry for your loss. Hope there is something conclusive from the necropsy.

Rest in Paradise little girl :(.

With dmazier's permission I will posting necropsy photos from sweet Lilly. They will be hidden by the spoiler tag (GRAPHIC) below so you can chose whether or not you would like to see them. She was a gorgeous, well kept chameleon and I was heartbroken by her loss. :(

lilly5.jpg

This is when I first opened her up. The orange arrow is pointing to the liver, which was pale and more grey than typically seen but otherwise appeared normal. Color change of the liver could mean there was inflammation or infection within the liver itself, or that the liver was showing changes due to inflammation, infection somewhere else in the body that was having an effect on overall metabolism. She had healthy fat pads indicating good health and weight. Intestines looked good, no signs of intestinal parasites or parasites anywhere else.

lilly1.jpg

These are the finger like projections of the lung tissue seen in most chameleon species. They can inflate with air. I think they're super cool.

lilly2.jpg

Her lungs looked great, no signs of pneumonia or parasites. You can see how thin the tissue is.

lilly3.jpg

This is her aorta running under her spine to supply blood flow to all the organs. I have seen aortic aneurysms cause mysterious deaths before but there was no evidence of that. (Black intestines normal in chameleons)

lilly4.jpg

This is her kidney sitting over her ovary (all the little blobs are immature follicles). The kidney is a little pale but otherwise normal shape and size.

So overall, no obvious cause of death on her necropsy. The liver and kidney tissues were saved to be submitted for histopathology to look at them microscopically to determine any significant changes if present.

Last edited:
With dmazier's permission I will posting necropsy photos from sweet Lilly. They will be hidden by the spoiler tag below so you can chose whether or not you would like to see them. She was a gorgeous, well kept chameleon and I was heartbroken by her loss. :(
When I click Spoiler it just says test. I am really would like to see the results.

Too terrible! No obvious cause of death.
I'm so sorry @dmaizer. This just breaks my heart in pieces. Ambiguity is the worst possible finding when you can confirm it isn't husbandry issues :(

Please update us if the histopathology provides any information.

I just can't say enough how sorry I am for your loss and Lilly's passing. I don't know you in person, but Lilly was "family", you took good care of her, and I am so sad that she is gone.

Back
Top Bottom